Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• afranz
    Options
    Hi forum,

Recently I was on a flight from Inverness-Gatwick that was delayed by 3hrs3mins. I applied for the delay repay under EU Regulation (250 euro for myself and my partner) using the standard Easy Jet repayment form.
    At first Easy Jet were extremely responsive, replying to my emails within hours, each time telling me that the flight report had not been updated and to come back 7 days later for an update. After the 4th email back to them (and about 2.5 months since the flight), all of a sudden they stopped replying.
    I am an advocate using to Twitter to reach brands, and so took to the Tweets (@'ing the Civil Aviation Authority in my tweets), and over the course of some DM's with Easy Jet they have confirmed liability for the delay. They asked that I resend the claim form (which I did instantly, including things like my bank details etc.).
    In the automated reply to this form they claim they will respond within 7 working days. We're now on day 8 of my second claim and they've completed ignored me again. They are also now ignoring me on twitter too.
    Each time I Tweet I receive replies from companies who claim they will help me sort the claim, but I suspect they will probably be after a cut of the compensation. What can I do now? I am essentially hitting a brick wall, and don't really want to give a cut of the compensation to a private company when I've already got confirmation from Easy Jet regarding their liability, in writing.
    It seems like their trying to smoke me out by completing ignoring me. Is there anything from a legal standpoint that says they have to compensate within a given time period after claiming liability?

I am guessing that I am not alone in this battle, and there were several people on the same flight as me who were keen to apply for compensation for the delay too.

Thanks!
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Download and read Vaubans Guide. Follow the advice and send a letter before action to them. All explained in the guide
  • Mary_Byrne
    Options
    Our flight was delayed taking off due to fog Dublin to Dubai so we missed connection to Sydney.Then the rescheduled flight was cancelled due to technical issues with plane . Would we be due compensation for the flight that was cancelled?
  • Bellamaria1234
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I filed a case for my flight delay just over a month ago via the Resolver page.
    I have a case number but have not had a reply yet from the airline.
    how long do I wait and what Is the next step.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I filed a case for my flight delay just over a month ago via the Resolver page.
    I have a case number but have not had a reply yet from the airline.
    how long do I wait and what Is the next step.

Resolver is just a letter writing tool, with a contacts database. The airline is no more obliged to respond to it than they would be to a letter from you directly. I've never used Resolver but people's experience of it seems to be a bit mixed: some airlines engage with it, others don't. Who were you flying with?

I think Resolver allows you to "escalate" your complaint after a while if it remains unresolved, but there's no guarantee that this will elicit a response - and a lot of airlines don't seem to be in a hurry to reply.

The only thing that is guaranteed to get their attention is if you start a court claim - which they cannot ignore. Alternatively, you could see if they are members of an arbitration scheme which might be quicker.
  • mthappy0
    mthappy0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Each passenger is entitled to claim separately, if required, so it doesn't matter who the lead passenger was.

Your claim will have to meet certain criteria to qualify tho, as Leyland says. Please read Vaubans guide to get the full sp.

Hi yes I have read the guide but I cannot see anything for claiming for a passenger who has now died. Also do I need to get each passenger to claim separately or can I claim on my son, daughter and wife's behalf?

Many thanks
  • Tilla_Tech
    Options
    Hi
    If British Airways told travel agents 16 days before flight of cancellation but travel agent tells us on 13th day before flight about cancellation.
    Can compensation be claimed?
    Thanks
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tilla_Tech wrote: »
    Hi
    If British Airways told travel agents 16 days before flight of cancellation but travel agent tells us on 13th day before flight about cancellation.
    Thanks

Not from BA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Tilla_Tech wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

The airline gave 16 days notice to the people that booked and paid for the flights. It's not BAs fault if those people delayed telling their customer. Better to book direct and then the airline have direct contact with you, rather than you relying on a middleman to relay information.
  • SJP123
    Options
    Hi all,

I recently booked a flight from Manchester to Perth (aus) which had a stop over in Dubai. The flight from Dubai to Perth was delayed by 15 hours.

Emirates are stating that I am not entitled to compensation under EU law as the delay occurred between Dubai and Perth. Am I right in think that because I booked a journey from Manchester to Perth, and not as two separate flights that I am indeed entitled to claim under EU law?

Many thanks for anyone that can help,
    Sam
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport