Money Moral Dilemma: Should Janet pay John’s tip?

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    to add to above, I always checked that the tip was kept by the person it was given to.

Really? So you don't consider other serving staff who may have been to your table, or the chef's in the kitchen, who actually produced your food, worthy of tipping?

Nice to know.

(Or do you insist on visiting the kitchens to ensure that they get their share?)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • misstipsycake
    Options
    Janet should say that she would like to leave the tip. John has been kind enough to pay the bill, so it is fair enough that Janet should leave the tip. If John is offended, then that's an issue that needs to be discussed - perhaps he does not believe in tipping?
    :A
  • jimbo24168
    jimbo24168 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No. The waiter is doing the job he/she is paid to do. They knew the rate of pay when they took on the job. How can you get "exceptional" service? the waiter brings the menu, writes down what you order, brings the food, clears the table...that's what he's paid to do.
  • crazy_horse_uk
    Options
    Jimbo - I'm sure the waiter is fully aware of the terms and conditions, as well as the restaurant's tips policy. Like City bankers (don't get me started) tips are considered part of the package, and it's churlish to avoid tipping. The first respondent got this absolutely right.

chuk
  • wildthing01
    Options
    i agree with Lurleene - offer to pay the tip as John's been so kind in paying the bill. although i've never met a man yet who offered to pay the whole bill, and i'd probably feel really uncomfortable if he did. i'd also want to investigate further as to why john hadn't tipped - if it was anything other than a mere oversight, i'd have to think about whether he was the sort of man i wanted to have a relationship with.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    He should let her pay the tip if she wants.

Then take her to the burgerking drive through on there next date so he doesnt get in the same situation again :-)
  • pinkclouds
    pinkclouds Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    No. John is entitled to his opinion - presumably that the service was lousy. If Janet wanted to tip then she should pay the entire bill and not go on a second date. (If they were married, then John would still be entitled to his opinion and they would have to agree on whether to tip from their shared funds.)
  • bexindevon
    Options
    Why should you leave a tip??

I don't get paid any tips for doing my job, so why should anyone else!

:)
    :j
  • jimbo24168
    Options
    He should let her pay the tip if she wants.

Then take her to the burgerking drive through on there next date so he doesnt get in the same situation again :-)

Will she expect him to tip the person that gives them their food through the window?
  • gjs1701
    gjs1701 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Janet should pay the tip and dump John for being cheap.

It is only recently that restaurants have been legally obliged to pay minimum wage and not not make it up through tips.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure