8 x 5 year old defaults, where do I go from here?

Options

Comments

• kl2
    kl2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2019 at 10:49PM
    Options
    What a lovely way to end the year :)

Would you care to enlighten us, as to exactly how you got the two defaults removed from your credit file. The method you used may be helpful to others... :)

Definitely agree.

I had a default with Natwest from 2015, I just put in a complaint as the reason for the default was a bit unfair, they promised me more time to pay it off but didn't keep their word. They had no proof of me ever asking for this but agreed if it would make me happy and would resolve the case, they'd do it and have since sent me confirmation saying this has now been requested.

I had another with Santander, for a personal loan in 2015, the total loan was £1,100. They've refunded me £700 randomly in the past 12 months for not doing all they could to assist me, I raised a complaint and just said the default was unfair and they knew it - hence refunding me. They agreed they weren't responsible in their dealings and asked how to right the situation, I said I do not want compensation, just removal of my credit history with them including the default. They agreed and have sent me confirmation via post it will be done within 4-6 weeks.

Santander had sold the debt to another company, and since the Santander default has been removed, I'm hoping the 2nd default from this other company will now be removed once I put in a complaint, which will put me down to 5 defaults.

I think just be reasonable and ask, what's the worst that can happen, if all is paid off and the default is fairly old or fairly new, what's the worst that they can say? I've requested all remaining 6 defaults to be removed as they're now 5 years old and paid off, if they say no - they say no. But I'm confident at least 1 more will say yes, which will hopefully (including the sold Santander debt) take me down to 4 defaults.

Will keep you all updated, have also requested all my overdraft money back from Santander from when I was in debt as it kept me in debt, around £600-odd. Hopefully they'll be nice to me, would be a nice treat. If not, no harm done, I got myself into debt and thankfully got myself out but it will be a nice bonus. Have also submit a flight delay compensation from a 14 hour delayed flight long-haul, so hopefully that'll give me another nice bonus for the new year.

Have a good New Year, everyone!
  • kl2
    Options
    3 defaults now removed, all found original agreements and removed them on this basis.

Waiting to hear back from 3 more, Vodafone refused to acknowledge they sent me a letter which says they'll remove the default should it be paid in 30 days and said they have to report fairly. Not going to argue, can't win them all.

Leaves me with 5 defaults, 1 is unfair but was sold on (long story on it being unfair, that's for another day). They're looking into it and if that one gets removed, they can hopefully remove the sold one which place me on 3 defaults. Realistically I've asked for one to be removed out of goodwill as it's £27 and was my stupidity on not noticing it, but they've said they're investigating and it may be okay to remove as it was paid the next day after I got the letter.

Hopefully I can get down to 3 though, would make me feel better than having 8.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BigBoss84 wrote: »
    Guys, I do not really love loans, and you are advised not to take loans.

'Post pumper' with 4-5 word replies :)
  • kl2
    Options
    Tallaght wrote: »
    'Post pumper' with 4-5 word replies :)

Wondered what that was about, lol
  • kl2
    Options
    Tried to open the FlexPlus account today, no luck - Nationwide could only offer me the FlexBasic.

Thought I'd be okay with the 5 year old defaults, still holding me back at every given chance.
  • sully1311
    sully1311 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you’ve got another hard search on your file?
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    kl2 wrote: »
    ...have also requested all my overdraft money back from Santander from when I was in debt as it kept me in debt, around £600-odd.

You could be eligible for a refund if you have evidence that:
    • You were in real financial hardship. For example, if you were struggling to buy necessities and pay bills, or you had lost your job.
    • The charges are unfair compared to what you did. For example, if you went overdrawn £1 and were charged £35.
    • You were stuck in a spiral of charges. This might happen if the charges keep putting you into the red, and the overdraft keeps costing you more in charges.

MSE has a step-by-step guide on reclaiming bank charges:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • abc.xyz
    abc.xyz Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kl2 wrote: »
    Tried to open the FlexPlus account today, no luck - Nationwide could only offer me the FlexBasic.

Thought I'd be okay with the 5 year old defaults, still holding me back at every given chance.

The advice given was not to make any more applications. That's another hard search on one of your CRA reports - possibly all three if Nationwide search them all. Why are you so desperate to open a new bank account? Your OP says you pay your CC off by bank transfer, so presumably you already have a bank account?

As you have found, it doesn't matter how old the defaults are. They could be 1 day old, or 5 years and 364 days old. If they are on your credit file, the effect is still the same.
  • kl2
    Options
    4 defaults now removed.
    2 defaults changed to October 2014 so will be gone this year.

Late payments all removed, now credit score has gone in to the 'fair' position on Credit Karma. Before people say it, I know it's meaningless but it's nice to see it improve.

Looking to get the final 2 defaults removed by gesture of goodwill, going well so far - touch wood. Lots of people said companies won't remove defaults, they did for me with persistence and good explanations.

Done a SOFT check on FlexPlus, was approved this time whereas last time I was declined.
    Will give it a month, I want to re-apply for Starling at the end of Feb and if that doesn't go through, I'll open up the FlexPlus.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why do you need so many current accounts?
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure