Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Vivtalk
    Options
    Hello, we were due to return from Mallorca to Bristol on Friday 13th (!!) - our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. (our flight was due to leave at 2pm but the airport had reopened its runways by 11am and it was blue sky. so not sure why we were cancelled rather than delayed)

But Anyway.... We stood in a queue for 4 hours to see the customer service desk. When i reached the desk the earliest Easyjet flight they could get us back on was Tuesday 17th. Or Monday 16th (but into Gatwick) I found a different flight with TUI for the Saturday but returning into East Midlands instead. We needed to get back as my son had missed his Grammer Entrance exam as a result of the cancellation and needed to get back for him to book his resit. The customer service adviser told us it was fine to book with another airline and we could reclaim the cost of the flight in full through the expenses section of the easyjet site. I questioned her twice to be sure and she confirmed.

I therefore paid almost £600 for new flights to EMA the following day. In the meantime, Easyjet put us up in a hotel for the night.

Upon submitting my expenses claims, it seems that Easyjet are refusing to pay for our flight as it was not back to our FINAL destination (i.e Bristol). I am so angry because we could never afford to have spent this if we thought we wouldn't get it back!

We had no other option. There were no other flights in to Bristol and Easyjet couldn't get us back for 4 days! Our options were Gatwick or East Midlands. So we went for East Midlands as its closer to our home.

Where do i stand on this????
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2019 at 3:01PM
    Options
    easyJet will jerk you around, unfortunately, in an pathetic effort to grind you down so you give up.
    1. The airline has a duty of care, including any costs, to get you to your original destination, via other airlines, modes of transport etc.
    They are responsible for the difference in new flights and your original flight costs AND any aditional expenses incurred in getting back to Bristol.
    This is a definite, very few, if any, exceptions.
    Ask for a deadlock leter and take your case to CEDR, who should find in your favour.
    If they don't you can go to small claims court. Or you can do this without going to CEDR.

2. I suspect you are also due compensation.
    Was your cancelled aircraft already staioned in Mallorca, or flying in? If the latter, then your cancellation was probably not an EC = compensation due.
    If EJ offered flights 2/3/4 days later then that is an unreasonable delay to your journey. This is the second hurdle the airline must clear otherwise they have to pay compensation.
    Try submitting your details to Botts online checker or EUclaim. They can give an indication of compensation due or not.
    Again CEDR and/or small claims court.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    successful claim made.
    flight was due Friday 20/09/19 23.45 notification few hours before saying it was delayed until around 4am at the airport then another notification recieved all it said was delayed overnight hung around to be told coach would arrive in an hour in take us to hote for the night, luckily we were staying with relatives so we didn't need this
    another notification then saying new flight 6pm the following day
    headed back to apartment and enjoyed another day by the pool with the kids submitted claim.
    recieved email this morning claim successful and payment made for £220.74 per passenger (family of 4 - 2 adults 2 children) so £882 back
    Very happy extra holiday day and we only paid £300 in total for the flights in the first place :)
  • faisal07
    Options
    Just to let you know, Easyjet did finally settle today, and exactly the same a goodwill gesture. mine took a bit longer because the deadlock letter went amiss, and Easy jet waited to 1 day before the Adjudicators deadline
    zonecrew wrote: »
    Easyjet have agreed to settle my claim Faisal. So, hopefully you should get some positive news very soon as well.

As a gesture of 'goodwill' (Yeh, right 😂)

Anyway, thanks for the advice on this site guys
  • Missymoo2
    Options
    Hi

I wonder whether you could advise?
    We are currently sat in dubrovnik airport as we had a flight booked at 9.45pm (EZY1808) but it was eventually cancelled due to winds. We were transported to a hotel at 1.30am and have a new boarding pass for 1.15pm today (EZY9808).

We have heard the incoming flight tried to land but aborted and flew to Split, hence our flight then being cancelled.

We have ended up with a nearly 16 hour delay meaning both losing money from work and having to pay for a taxi at the other side as family were collecting us.

I have put details into Bott and it said we should be eligible but I am sceptical if they just say it is weather related.

I would be grateful for any advice received.

Thanks
  • JPears
    Options
    Weather conditions as an EC only usually apply to your actual flight, not any other.
    How bad are the winds?

• Missymoo2
    Missymoo2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry for the delay, only just got home.

The weather was bad for a couple of hours, around 40mph winds possibly but the pilot told us on the way back that he tried to land 3 times in Dubrovnik and eventually gave up as he "lost control of the aircraft" and the way Dubrovnik is located the wind between the mountains made it dangerous which we totally understand.
    However we were in the airport for hours and when they eventually provided coaches it was totally calm weatherwise but because the aircraft was in split we could not get going and feel over 16 hours was a bad delay. To then fly at 1.50pm ( it was delayed from the original 1.15pm) a full day had gone and we both lost out workwise.

The pilot also after giving the speech about the "exceptional cirumstances" which they mentioned over again and put on the tracker information, also kept saying how we was treated to the best hotels (it was a nice hotel to be fair) and free food and drink in the airport (4.50€ voucher) and complimentary food and drinks on the flight (pringles and a coffee as no fresh food was available due to exceptional circumstances)

The steward then did the rounds telling everybody how in his 15 years in flying he had never experienced conditions like it. We did feel like it was all to stop any claims.

Anyway back home safe to which I am grateful but it has totally knackered our week up workwise due to rescheduling everything , some poor guy missed his best friends funeral.

So in short I know the weather was an issue but that was causing the issue with the incoming flight and I believe we should have been delayed and flown home not cancelled, given new flight numbers and a 16 hour black hole.

Thank you for replying.
  • Sheepdemon
    Options
    I had a delayed flight on 22 August (EXY422 Edi - Brs) that was delayed for over 4 hours due to a fault with the plane. My original claim was rejected though the guy on the phone said he 'couldn't see the reason why', but one of the questions he asked was whether I actually took the flight. I did not, though I didn't see this as a reason to not be eligible listed anywhere, the trip was a single day trip for work and by the time I'd have gotten my flight the meeting I was to attend would have been over. Am I still eligible for compensation in this case? I checked into my flight and I was at the airport, but the delay rendered the flight pointless.
  • JPears
    Options
    hi sheepdemon. my interpretation of the regulation is that unless the flight was anticipated to be delayed for more than 5 hours, you are probably not due compensation as a no show for the flight.
    You should be due a refund though.

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Missymoo2 wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay, only just got home.

The weather was bad for a couple of hours, around 40mph winds possibly but the pilot told us on the way back that he tried to land 3 times in Dubrovnik and eventually gave up as he "lost control of the aircraft" and the way Dubrovnik is located the wind between the mountains made it dangerous which we totally understand.
    However we were in the airport for hours and when they eventually provided coaches it was totally calm weatherwise but because the aircraft was in split we could not get going and feel over 16 hours was a bad delay. To then fly at 1.50pm ( it was delayed from the original 1.15pm) a full day had gone and we both lost out workwise.

The pilot also after giving the speech about the "exceptional cirumstances" which they mentioned over again and put on the tracker information, also kept saying how we was treated to the best hotels (it was a nice hotel to be fair) and free food and drink in the airport (4.50€ voucher) and complimentary food and drinks on the flight (pringles and a coffee as no fresh food was available due to exceptional circumstances)

The steward then did the rounds telling everybody how in his 15 years in flying he had never experienced conditions like it. We did feel like it was all to stop any claims.

Anyway back home safe to which I am grateful but it has totally knackered our week up workwise due to rescheduling everything , some poor guy missed his best friends funeral.

So in short I know the weather was an issue but that was causing the issue with the incoming flight and I believe we should have been delayed and flown home not cancelled, given new flight numbers and a 16 hour black hole.

Thank you for replying.

No offence but who goes away knowing that a delay would mean he missed his best friends funeral,cannot be that much of a " best friend "
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback