PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes that is the right flour, also called gram flour.
    It ended up huge. 4 portions for me as it is roughly fits a large plate.

It was 16 tablespoons of the flour.
    16 tablespoons of water.
    I used 400g of already cooked potato cut cubed. Recipe said 800g but meh.
    2 small onions cut. Recipe said one.
    I eyeballed what I wanted of nutritional yeast. It was supposed to have the salt that makes things taste and smell of egg but I have never bought that and so used the nutritional yeast for a 'cheese' like taste.

Thanks for the recipe Doom and Gloom! I will see how much it is when I shop next week or may wait until next month... was it quite firm? I'm thinking about how transportable it might be for pack up lunches. The salt you're thinking of is called kala namak and I've never bought it either but I'd like to one day!

I've now done my week 3 shopping and out of £20.56 budget I spent £20.55!! So I'm carrying the 1p over to week 5 where I had budgeted £20.55, so now I have weeks 4 and 5 budgeted at £20.56 each.

I'm stocked up to the gunnels still, but to get some of the veg moving from my fridge, I want to make some pies and freeze them as I have some pastry. But not quite enough free containers :rotfl:I'll work it out somehow!! I don't really have a meal plan in place - I have so much stuff in, it's ridiculous. I have the makings of these pies, and of the curry I like, so really after those are made, portioned and frozen, I think I should do a stock take and formulate a meal plan based on the fresh stuff left. I've also got some cooked and frozen beans, as I was organised for once so might try and make some veggie/bean burgers at some point. Also thinking of a sausage casserole.

................................£220 Budget
    Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining
    26 Sep.....Ocad0.......£43.08....£176.92 (STOCK)
    26 Sep.....Ocad0.......£20.62....£156.30 (WEEK 1)
    26 Sep.....Ald1........£16.44....£139.86 (WEEK 1)
    26 Sep.....T3sc0.......£22.38....£117.48 (WEEK 1)
    28 Sep.....Ald1........£12.58....£104.90 (WEEK 2)
    28 Sep.....T3sc0.......£36.31.....£68.59 (WEEK 2)
    28 Sep.....T3sc0.......£06.92.....£61.67 (STOCK)
    5 Oct......T3sc0.......£20.55.....£41.12 (WEEK 3)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Elsiepac the besan ktc 2kg bags are on offer for £2 in Mr A, Mr S and Mori$$ons at the moment.
    http://simpleveganblog.com/tortilla-spanish-omelette-vegan-and-glutenfree/ was the site I used for recipe. I originally mucked up and had to do it again. The extra cup of water was to cook the potato, I already had cooked potato so don't make the same mistake I originally did. It's equal flour to water. It is firm yes. It's a little bland (probably wouldn't be as bland with that salt though) but with a kind of sauce such as vegan pesto I find it very nice. Will be having the last portion of it for dinner later today.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So I have been buying faffy bits for lunch rather than cooking at home.
    Maybe if you batch cooked, you would be able to take something out of the freezer, I know easier said than done.
    elsiepac wrote: »
    The salt you're thinking of is called kala namak and I've never bought it either but I'd like to one day!
    It really is very eggy - I buy it very cheaply in my local Asian Grocers, it's 49p for 100g. Really nice in Burmese Tofu, which is so easy to make, if you are buying chickpea flour.
  • butterfly2507
    Options
    Went shopping yesterday and spent 24,29 €. We got a few staples but still need some toilet paper :o:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can hardly believe it but I've not been food shopping since last Monday, must be a first for me :j
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2017 at 9:26PM
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Total spends so far this month = £76.70 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.

Just got back from the shop - stuck to the list (ish) which is a miracle as I didn't take to with me :rotfl:

£8.78 spent on - Bread, onions, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, mushrooms, butter and golden syrup.

Now there's beef, onions, garlic, carrots, cauliflower, a hand full of 'soup mix', potatoes, passata, stock and a selection of seasoning in the instant pot - I'll add spinach and mushrooms for a few minutes at the end.

I'll make [strike]the flapjacks tomorrow and[/strike] the pasta bake - with the rest of the cauliflower, mushrooms and spinach - on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on how long the stew lasts (note to self, check the freezer for bacon). :)

Plan
    Breakfast
    Banana and fruit porridge

Lunches
    Soup-n-sarnie - [strike]Saturday[/strike]/Sunday
    Vegi Omelettes - Mon/Thurs
    Free-lunch at work - Tuesday
    Turkey, rice and veg - Wednesday
    Eat-up day - Friday

Dinner
    Beef Stew - [strike]Saturday[/strike]/Sunday/Pos Monday
    Pasta bake - Tuesday/Wednesday
    Turkey dinner - Thursday
    Eat-up day - Friday

Snacks
    16 flapjacks

Total spends so far this month = £85.48 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Elsiepac the besan ktc 2kg bags are on offer for £2 in Mr A, Mr S and Mori$$ons at the moment.
    http://simpleveganblog.com/tortilla-spanish-omelette-vegan-and-glutenfree/ was the site I used for recipe. I originally mucked up and had to do it again. The extra cup of water was to cook the potato, I already had cooked potato so don't make the same mistake I originally did. It's equal flour to water. It is firm yes. It's a little bland (probably wouldn't be as bland with that salt though) but with a kind of sauce such as vegan pesto I find it very nice. Will be having the last portion of it for dinner later today.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check this out!
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    It really is very eggy - I buy it very cheaply in my local Asian Grocers, it's 49p for 100g. Really nice in Burmese Tofu, which is so easy to make, if you are buying chickpea flour.

Aha! Wouldn't have had a clue where to get it, so thank you for that!
    There is a big Asian supermarket 20 minutes or so away so next time I'm over that way I'll see if they have it!

I'm quite under the weather today with a cold that has sort of half come out - mostly I just feel shivery and achey but a bit bunged up and drippy and a sore throat... so I've given myself a "sick day" - i.e. laze around around the house doing nothing but the basics. I made myself a broccoli and potato soup for lunch which was extremely simple and very tasty, and I have a portion left over. For dinner I'm having vegan meatballs (either Asda or Hooba - I have both in the freezer) over tagliatelle with homemade marinara sauce that I have defrosting in the sink,
    and I'll have it with green beans, petit pois and courgette I think. Would have had brococli,
    but didn't think that through when I had it for lunch LOL. For breakfast/brunch I had 2 avocados that needed using desperately as they were really over, so I scooped out the bits I could use and made guacamole (I add lime juice, some finely diced red onion, a tomato finely chopped, and some fresh coriander - it's delicious). So when I end the day I'll only be on about 7 of my 10 a day that I aim for, but that's not too bad.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another £31.84 spent in Aldi today on beer, mints, lightbulbs, bin bags and snacks. I was tempted to take the bulbs back as they came to £15 but we do need 5 out of the 6 we bought :(

I now have £120 to last 3 weeks if I want to come in at under £300, £200 under my normal budget due to being skint this month.

My plan for next week is to buy DH beer, fruit and a couple of bits for DS pack lunches and live out of the freezer for our meals and lunches without him noticing. I am hoping to get creative and spend less than £20. ;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Mr E goes away tomorrow so I did a big shop yesterday to tide us over until he's back. Not that I can't go to the shops when he's not here, but it's a lot easier without the kids in tow. So I spent $185, which will do us for meals for ten days, including the treaty Saturday night movie night (oven pizza, garlic bread, ice cream) and lunches and a picnic or two because it's school holidays at the moment. So I'm pleased with that.

Total: $436/1100.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Total of £39.70, Wilkos £9.67 reduced bits, and £30.03 -£4 voucher in Tesco for chicken, butter, chocolate and a couple of extras.
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport