The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Options

Comments

• geoffers4
    Options
    Big fanfare - I've now semi retired and have received my pension lump sum. My savings this month are...£62,000! :j

This is a once-in-a-lifetime payment and it doesn't feel quite right reporting it here, a bit boastful and certainly not a typical month (I wish!). But it is savings I've made through my working life via my pension and have never counted anywhere because it was "invisible" but it is now sitting in my bank.

I've now got to decide what to do with it. Oh for the happy days of being able to bung it in a building society at 6% interest!

Many congrats Wentie, you've reached a major milestone there! No need to feel you are boasting about the lump sum at all, you've earned it after all.

I'm reporting £1828.55 this month. Things have been a bit expensive recently, but partly due to a trip to visit family in Switzerland last week, so I musn't grumble!
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    bobobski wrote: »
    (oooOOOoooh...)
    :rotfl:

Congrats on the man, the savings, the hol, and the property. It sounds life life is rosy, enjoy it all!
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • imajica37
    Options
    I have got another £1,079 to add for this month :j
    Save £8,000 in 2023 #10: £49,148/ £8,000 :j
  • CrabbitDutchie
    Options
    #46 reporting in for September with a total of £465 for the month

Much better than expected, but that's mainly because a large part of this months holiday (£480) will not be paid off until the end of next month (direct debit to the credit card). Have realised just how much I hate using a credit card and then paying it off - even with it being paid off in full every month. It feels like paying for stuff twice. Genuinely think that next holiday I might preload the credit card with the planned budget. Anybody else weird enough do this?

For October no big planned spends apart from the £480 credit card bill, but that'll be enough to ensure that the October total is not huge. Should still be on track overall for the year, but only just.
    Save 12K in 2018 #20 - £20,890/£18,000 (116%) November £1950
    Save 12K in 2017 #46 - £13,184/£12,000 (109.87%):D
    Save 12K in 2016 #184 - £4,608/£4500 (102.4%) :D
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Xenon The Excruciatingly Lazy And Astonishingly Handsome

This month a mighty £1207 This Year £9062

So that's the mortgage deposit + solicitor + other costs + small emergency fund all set
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just reporting in for September. Another £1k so still on target to save £12k this year. Also started a separate pot to save for next year's holiday.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have realised just how much I hate using a credit card and then paying it off - even with it being paid off in full every month. It feels like paying for stuff twice.
    When I buy something on a credit card, I enter it as a purchase on my spreadsheet, and the DD to pay it off automatically appears on the forthcoming movements sheet as a transfer between my accounts, same as all those needed to operate the multiple current account and regular saver regime so many of us operate.
    So I don't feel like I'm paying twice.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Big fanfare - I've now semi retired and have received my pension lump sum. My savings this month are...£62,000! :j

Congrats on the milestone. Well done for the hard work saving in the past decades! I am sure this gives you alot more flexibility in life.

While we are on this topic, just to familiarise myself with how pensions work, so I presume this lump sum is 25% of your entire pension that you do not have to pay tax on?? Any subsequent income you get from the pension, you have to pay tax according to the income tax rules?

How do you access your pension; is there a draw-down plan or you get to choose year to year?

Thanks!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    While we are on this topic, just to familiarise myself with how pensions work, so I presume this lump sum is 25% of your entire pension that you do not have to pay tax on?? Any subsequent income you get from the pension, you have to pay tax according to the income tax rules?

How do you access your pension; is there a draw-down plan or you get to choose year to year?

Thanks!

No, it's even better than that, Darkidoe!

I have a defined benefit pension, which gives me a guaranteed, index-linked income for life. In addition I got a £90,000 tax free lump sum (the balance was my Additional Voluntary Contributions but I'd already counted that in my monthly updates here).

There is no "pot" as such, but I think mine's the equivalent of about £500,000 (the index-link boosts the value quite a bit).

Defined contribution pensions work as you have set out I think, but I don't know the details. It's such a complicated subject and I wish I'd learned more about it when I was younger. I had a mad maxing-out of my AVC in the final couple of years but I should have done it ages before - tax free money on the way in, and tax free on the way out.

I'm a bit of a pensions evangelist now and keep nagging people to sort theirs out NOW :D and pay extra and not to leave it too late! I'd really recommend looking the Retirement thread. There's lots of very knowledgable and helpful people there, they really helped be make the right decisions.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    #69 (not #56) updating with £3,546.00 for June and £3,152.40 for July - two much better months that make £16,589.33 for the year so far. August also looking good, so maybe, just maybe, i'll get back on track :)

Blimey, I'm not doing very well at updating this year :(

August was £4,532.08 and September was £2,143.99, so i'm firmly back on track. Total £23,265 of my £30k target.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure