PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, we've been trying to buy a house for the last 5 months and everything has ground to a halt because of a restriction that needs to be removed from the house at the top of the chain. We're at the bottom, so can't really see what's going on and have to rely on what the estate agent tells us.

The restriction is to do with someone's name being taken off the title deed and I was told this would be done on Monday. Today the estate agent said that the solicitors are still waiting for the document to be updated.

The thing is, my solicitor phoned and said the application hadn't been submitted so does anyone on here know what's going on with it? The title reference is SF21339.

I bought a copy of the title and there is no one else's name on it, so I'm wondering if it's been done and I have the updated copy, or if there was never another name to remove on there in the first place and it's just been a stalling tactic.

There was an application submitted on the 17th October to remove specific entries, which will be the ones you have referred to. And this was completed yesterday once wider checks had been completed and the conveyancer had provided additional details
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I own an end of terrace in a corner plot where me and my neighbours are tenants in common of a path after I bought half of it in 1983 for £9000 and the changes were updated on the register. The neighbour has ripped this whole path up without my permission as they said they thought it was theirs, then relayed it too high and sloping to my property bridging my damp proof course and causing damp. What rights do I have and what can I do about this after I paid all this money for half ownership and they've ruined it without me even saying they could rip it up? 😫
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Clarkey90 wrote: »
    I own an end of terrace in a corner plot where me and my neighbours are tenants in common of a path after I bought half of it in 1983 for £9000 and the changes were updated on the register. The neighbour has ripped this whole path up without my permission as they said they thought it was theirs, then relayed it too high and sloping to my property bridging my damp proof course and causing damp. What rights do I have and what can I do about this after I paid all this money for half ownership and they've ruined it without me even saying they could rip it up? 😫

It's legal advice you need here as to what rights you both have. We deal with the registration of the ownership and can't advise you on what legal rights you each have. Sorry
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • sarah2711
    Options
    Hi, we have submitted an 'adverse possession' for part of our garden which is marked as belonging to the church hall. I have spoken to them and said to expect papers and they don't have a problem signing the land off to us. How long does the process take if they respond positively and promptly?
    We are being pushed to complete our house sale in January.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    sarah2711 wrote: »
    Hi, we have submitted an 'adverse possession' for part of our garden which is marked as belonging to the church hall. I have spoken to them and said to expect papers and they don't have a problem signing the land off to us. How long does the process take if they respond positively and promptly?
    We are being pushed to complete our house sale in January.

If they respond positively and all other checks are ok then it’s usually completed fairly quickly, namely within days.

I’m assuming the application has already gone through the various stages required before we notify any registered owner for example

What has your conveyancer advised?
  • sarah2711
    Options
    They have only just submitted the adverse possession claim, they said the LR will contactt he church trust within that time.
    Is there any way we can speed the process up? We are desperate :(
    Sarah
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    sarah2711 wrote: »
    They have only just submitted the adverse possession claim, they said the LR will contactt he church trust within that time.
    Is there any way we can speed the process up? We are desperate :(
    Sarah

The lodging solicitor should contact us to request expedition and provide a copy of a document that confirms the sale/purchase/buyer.

If we agree to expedite it then we will normally consider the application within 10 working days of it being expedited. Each stage is then completed asap but each stage will still take time

If they have only just now applied then it will need to be considered by one of our lawyers, if in order a site visit arranged, and if still in order wider checks, which may include the notice you referred to, then issued.

It is still going to be tight re timescales but they need to make that expedite request asap to give it a chance
  • Can I ask why it would take 4-5 weeks if everything is OK and the agreement has been accepted & signed by both parties? The boundary has been drawn up by a professional surveyor.

We are looking to move in ASAP as our move has been on hold due to this issue.

Thanks

11th Nov 19, 5:39 PM

Hi,

We are sending off a determined boundary agreement with neighbour approval, including surveyors drawn up plans. Do you know roughly how long it would take the land registry to update the title plan providing all documentation is available?

Thanks,

Originally posted by throughthickandthin
    ”All depends if it’s in order and wider checks are completed quickly - see PG 40 supplement 4 section 4.2

So you are looking at minimum around 4/5 weeks wait time if everything is ok. If it’s not then it can end up taking much longer
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Can I ask why it would take 4-5 weeks if everything is OK and the agreement has been accepted & signed by both parties? The boundary has been drawn up by a professional surveyor.

We are looking to move in ASAP as our move has been on hold due to this issue.

Thanks

Average timescale between receipt and consideration plus wider checks (if any)
    With any determined boundary application wider checks are often required to confirm it's validity. Such checks are often time-sensitive so can take up to 3 weeks to complete depending on outcomes/replies

So just an average and an indication as to timescales but the only definite timescale we can offer is the 2 week one between receipt and initial consideration. It's only after that has happened that we will know what happens next and what timescale may apply
  • Shel222
    Options
    Hi

I filled out a form for land registry as my husband passed away. They have replied with this so unsure as to what form i need to obtain the land in my name as stated in my husbands will.

The register contains the following restriction which we did not remove as part of the application.

No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate under which capital money arises is to be registered except under an order of the court.

The restriction was entered to indicate that the land was held on trust.

So confusing!
    Thank you in advance for your help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport