Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone know why MSE doesn't seem to present any recommendations on DATA SIM-only deals. i.e. DATA-only (no minutes/texts) SIMs for those like me who don't want/have a landline but connect to the internet via a MiFi dongle and the GSM network.
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all,

My current mobile contract ran out in Feb 2018 and I've not really seen any better deals to move to until recently.

I'm currently with Three on a sim only deal - Essential plan i think its called which gives me 4GB data, unlimited Mins & texts per month for £10 BUT I cannot tether and don't get the Feel at home (Can use phone in EU and it comes off my monthly allowance, no additional charge).

Currently Three are doing an Advanced plan which is basically the same plan i'm on BUT with the Tethering & feel at home, for £9 a month based on 12 month contract.

Is this worth signing up to now or do people suspect better deals in Jan?

Thanks

Kev
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not a bad deal but might be worth ringing 3 asking to leave. You'll have to put up with their spiel but you'll likely be offered a deal to stay.
    Have some comparisons ready if you can. But looking on uswitch it looks like one of the best deals for 4 gb
  • kev2009
    Options
    Thanks, yes, I been looking and seems one of the best so was thinking of taking but then thought if they offer better deals in Jan, i'd kick myself if they offered it for 7 or 8 quid instead etc.

Kev
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plusnet have a range of deals that change quite frequently, so it's just a case of waiting for a suitable one to be on promotion.

They are on the EE network, run on a 30 day rolling contract, includes Roam like at Home and allows tethering.

Currently offering 4.5 GB plus unlimited calls and texts for £9.50 per month (or £8.50 for 3.5GB).

Make sure that your phone is unlocked.

https://www.plus.net/mobile
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Kev your contract hasn’t “run out”, just passed the minimum term. It will continue on a 30 day basis.

I have been with Three on a SIM only basis for several years, changing deals whenever a better one comes along, and generally find them OK.

They did have a Black Friday sale on some SIM only contracts and do offers from time to time.

If you are looking to move elsewhere, read the T&Cs very carefully. Points to watch are (a) over spending caps on both data and calls (b) annual price increases (c) buy over the phone, not in a shop, as you should have a cooling off period and (d) are there any free extras?

Three offer spending caps and I think many others do not. On SIM only, Three currently do not increase the cost, even after the min term. You have a 14 day cooling off period when swapping contracts over the phone. Finally they include free use of data to watch TV via “Go Binge” on their 12GB and above SIMs.
  • kev2009
    Options
    Thanks all. I've been with Three for probably over 10 yers now, can't recall when I joined them but I've been with them for a long time. I've changed contracts with them before. Yes, can confirm they don't increase the price once out of minimum term/contract since Feb 2018 and have been before. I just wish they would give a discount to loyal customers like they used to, albeit it very small. I've never used all my data, even back in the days when i had unlimited data, i never abused it etc.

Think i may take them up on the £9 offer, its not much of a saving but every little helps as they say :)

Kev
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I was on the 4gb £10 SIM only deal...I rang to request my PAC and they eventually gave me 8gb for £10.
  • ex-dmp
    ex-dmp Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2018 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Looks like Smarty (on the Three network) have just started their Xmas sale.

Three months for the price of one, offer until 4 Feb.

Also new X - small plan to go with their other plans.

1Gb data, unlimited texts and calls for £6.25 / month, usual credit for unused data as in other plans

I joined them from Three a couple weeks ago, all seems to be going well at the moment, no difference to Three performance wise and lot cheaper for my kind of usage

£10 amazon voucher + free month is on as well for referring
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ex-dmp wrote: »
    I joined them from Three a couple weeks ago, all seems to be going well at the moment, no difference to Three performance wise

That depends on the handset you use, if you have a phone that’s capable of VoLTE you have significantly more coverage on Three than you get on Smarty.
    ====
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure