Do you buy second hand games/consoles?

I'd really like to know. Personally, I stopped doing so after I received a couple of dodgy discs, but that was about 8 years or so ago. Have the standards generally improved, or is it still a bit of a lottery?

I know you can save money buying (and selling) second hand games, but do they start to fail after a little while? I know I could probably find out for myself with a small investment, but I'd like to know your collective experiences, good and bad. Thanks!

Comments

• My PS3 console is 2nd hand.

I often buy pre-owned games also. If they have a new realease game alongside the same game, but pre-owned, I'll almost always opt of the pre-owned version. Even to save a paultry £2!

I've never had a pre-owned game "fail" on me before though.
  • ITonyI
    ITonyI Posts: 80 Forumite
    My PS3 console is 2nd hand.

I often buy pre-owned games also. If they have a new realease game alongside the same game, but pre-owned, I'll almost always opt of the pre-owned version. Even to save a paultry £2!

I've never had a pre-owned game "fail" on me before though.

Maybe fail is a little extreme (in most cases), but I've had multi-disc games where the second disc has always frozen at the same point, denying further progress in the game (happened with FF8) and other games that have got noticeably choppy with random drop-outs.

Just I see good looking deals from the likes of Blockbuster, but don't feel like I can risk it in case I get a naff disc!
  • I don't have a Blockbuster near me, I usually shop in Game for pre-owned. They check all their discs, and even offer a disc cleaning/polishing service.
  • ineed
    ineed Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2013 at 11:58AM
    I wouldn't personally buy second hand consoles but I have brought secondhand games, mainly older or rare games I didn't get when they came out, I only buy mint or near mint condition games when I can, boxed with all paperwork as I'm a collector. I get a few of them from GAME, mostly from Amazon or eBay and have had quite a few bargains on very rare or older games.

Only ever had a problem once, I brought a hard to find (not released in Europe) DS game from eBay from an English seller with good feedback, it was supposed to be new and sealed but unfortunately when it arrived it was a fake copy. A good copy, even had a (fake) printed booklet and a DS box (albeit the wrong type of DS box for that game) and it was plastic wrapped (not in official Nintendo sealed wrap though), but had all the telltale signs of being a fake on the cartridge. Unfortunately DS games are very easy to make copies of but can easily be spotted if you know what to look out for. Still I got a full refund and managed to buy a genuine new and sealed copy from Amazon, amazingly for near enough the same price.
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
  • Yes I always buy second hand games, apart from the odd new release that I just cant wait for, like GTA5, the assassins creed games, and games i get for xmas and birthdays.

Never had an issue with any game I have bought second hand, from shops and ebay, and I always sell/trade games I have not played for a while apart from those I can see have longevity like skyrim, Fable and similar.
  • Yep I get second hand games - usually from CEX. If it doesn't work I take it back and they sort it :) Only happened once (ages ago with a PS2 game) and had no problems since.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • I don't like CEX, they always smell funny.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    No, I don't.
  • I've never bought a second hand console, but that's mostly due to having found a better deal new. I considered buying a second hand xbox 360 and would have done so had it not been for the RROD. I'd be happy to buy a used console though.

I buy almost all my games used and never had any problems, plus I've found some amazingly good bargains. Not all used games are going to be perfect, but if it's from a shop you can always take it back or online you can send it back if it doesn't work. I've bought used games that look in better condition than some new games I've bought.
  • sirmosh
    sirmosh Posts: 701 Forumite
    I'm not against it but I normally don't. With most games I wait until the new price has gone down to £20 or so before I buy it and only buy the odd game at full price on release. Usually if I buy a pre-owned game it's because I couldn't find a new copy anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure