PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing mushrooms

Options

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just slice them and freeze them, you won't be able to use them as fresh though, just throw a handful still frozen into whatever you are cooking.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi leeegglestone,

We have an older thread on freezing mushrooms so I'll merge your thread into it as it helps to keep all the suggestions together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a kitchen full of Saffron Milk Caps (delicious picked and fried), which with hindsight may have been better off in the field. My dad says I should pickle them (does that involve just pouring vinegar (which?) on top of them and closing the jar?). But I would like to freeze them and be able to fry them as normal. Freezing whole did not work - this liquidised the two I froze last night... must contain water or something.
    Any ideas?
    :wall:
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know if you can freeze mushrooms successfully for frying. They tend to retain too much water so are usually only suitable for adding to casseroles & such in my experience.

I'd be happy to be corrected though.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with you. As far as I know you can only freeze them cooked, usually in a made dish.
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find mushrooms have too high a water content to freeze and tend to go mushy.I collect most types of wild mushrooms and the most reliable way is to dry them.I slice the larger ceps and dry in the airing cupboard on newspaper.Hedgehogs and chanterelles are fine whole so your milkcaps should be too. After drying they are easy to store in jars till you need them, then soak in warm water ,gently squeeze out the excess and use in recipes.
    another way would be the italian method of imersing them in a flavoured oil with a touch of white wine vinegar.Warm some olive oil with any herb, basil, chervil,coriander and a whole clove of garlic allow to infuse as it cools down remove flavourings and pour over cleaned mushrooms into a sterile jar,add a table spoon of the vinegar and shake.Keep in the fridge and use for antipasta,sauces and pizzas etc
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Agutka
    Options
    russetred wrote:
    I find mushrooms have too high a water content to freeze and tend to go mushy.I collect most types of wild mushrooms and the most reliable way is to dry them.I slice the larger ceps and dry in the airing cupboard on newspaper.Hedgehogs and chanterelles are fine whole so your milkcaps should be too. After drying they are easy to store in jars till you need them, then soak in warm water ,gently squeeze out the excess and use in recipes.
    another way would be the italian method of imersing them in a flavoured oil with a touch of white wine vinegar.Warm some olive oil with any herb, basil, chervil,coriander and a whole clove of garlic allow to infuse as it cools down remove flavourings and pour over cleaned mushrooms into a sterile jar,add a table spoon of the vinegar and shake.Keep in the fridge and use for antipasta,sauces and pizzas etc

I will see how they dry if I leave them out by the radiator (already covered in ceps)... but I shouldn't think they would dry well, never had to find out before. In the meantime I shall keep on eating them.

As to the oil, we had a thread about putting water-containing ingredients into oil, I thought it made it go bad... or is that just if you try storing them?
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep! I think it has to be in the fridge unless you can completely seal them. I did have a nasty experience with peppers in a cupboard.You see a lot of fungi in jars in the italian section and when i had a go last year i think it was the vinegar that kept them whilst stopping the olive oil from clouding in the fridge.Great fun foraging isn't it? My ambition is still to find a truffle though i may need a pig but i like pigs.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Agutka
    Options
    russetred wrote:
    Great fun foraging isn't it? My ambition is still to find a truffle though i may need a pig but i like pigs.

Yes it is fun, although, having done it since an early age, I find it hard going without my dad near to help. Last year I emailed him photos of everything. This year I've just picked the stuff I actually use and am happy with.

Good luck with getting a pig.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    i tried freezing mushrooms once as i had a large container full and knew id never use them all so i thought id give it a go. when i defrosted them they were awful and i ended up throwing them in the bin as they went all watery and dark
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport