PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Wow. Glad I got the dehumidifier. Loads of water being pulled into it. Good idea, I think.

Slowly stocking up, just trying to figure out where to put it all.

Told you they're worth it! Hope you bought a good one! x
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Yep. It's very quiet, and seems to be working well. I'm really pleased with it.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think we've turned the end of summer and autumn has arrived. It's at this time of day now that I start to feel the chill settle on the house and I'm just going to lay and light the woodstove. The leaves are falling in earnest as I walk the dog, the conkers are finished and there are masses of acorns under all the oaks. The mornings are darker and the evenings are earlier and closing the curtains now is 5.30ish rather than 7.30, each season in its turn, as it should be.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have felt the need to add another layer today. I bought a lovely new shetland wool cardigan at a boot sale a few weeks ago and it is lovely and warm. Layering up is what works for me!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Smoggy84
    Options
    Hi, just subscribing to my very first thread! Had a lean few months (oldest child turned 18!) so looking to save money and be well prepped for bad weather. I had undiagnosed Graves disease for years and after 18 months of meds I am in remission now. My weirdly opposite symptoms however made me unusually warm for the last 10 years so now those symptoms have gone I'm experiencing cold for the first time in a long time, quite a shock!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I got some fleecy pet blankets from Sainsbury's, they are quite large and warm so I'm using one for my own armchair. I have to buy a few more for my pets.:D
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Half term started well, I've spent approx 6 hours in the garden, trimming hedges, cutting lawns, cutting down and weeding. Spring bulbs are planted, something to look forward to. There's still more to do, but the bulk of it is done.
    I've shopped for essentials and topped up my supplies.
    The freezer has been defrosted. A trip to the farm shop and it is now topped up. I've made two sausage casseroles and four lots of bolognese sauce for easy work night teas.
    My very comfortable, weatherproof but boring work shoes are past their best so have been replaced, with shoes equally as comfortable, waterproof and just as boring according to the teenagers. I know who will have warm and dry feet in wet weather.
    I'm now getting on with an Autumnal Clean, but taking it very steady as I've got tonsillitis and to top it off I've started with a cold. Luckily my winter stocks include eucalyptus and Vicks.

Happy Prepping.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 October 2016 at 4:51PM
    Options
    I have to say that it hasn't been too cold here yet but I always feel that the season really changes when the clocks change (this week end if anyone hasn't realised ;) ) Then we're really in the 'dark days before Christmas'
    I'll be hanging the door curtains, making throws and extra blankets available, placing lanterns and nice scented candles around, pine cones, leaves etc in bowls...
    Actually I love the feel of making my home warm, cosy and welcoming. The family joke about it as I actually have 'Autumn decorations' like other people have Christmas ones, does anyone else do this? I see by Pinterest that 'Fall decorating' seems to be a big thing but it's just something I've always done. Makes the dark days a lot easier to bear :)
    Welcome Smoggy84 btw :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like autumn at all Eenymeeny, I think from now on the season starting 30th Sept will be called "the dark days before xmas" cos it sounds so much cosier :D I'm a Capricorn and winter is my season, I love it.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    I love this time of year, coming into winter. I have my winter curtains all up and the stove turned up. It's hovering around 0 degrees at night, not above 6 degrees in the day for a couple of weeks now, so winter is coming!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback