PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As these are all new windows, and all double glazed I'm surprised you're getting the condensation inside - the first thing I noticed when I changed my old windows was that the condensation moved from inside to outside!

Have you got the contact details for the window firm? Or do you need to go through your landlord. Either way I'd question it, although you might want to check on the 'in my home' board first as there may well be some people over there more experienced with double glazing than we are!
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had problems with condensation on the inside of my windows last winter and was quite baffled as they had been fine until that point. Eventually I remembered I had shut the vents in stormy weather in the autumn. Once I opened the vents again the problem went.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a flat in a large house (divided into 4 flats). I'd ask the previous tenant (we moved in this summer), however, she was less than honest about other problems with the flat that we found out about after moving in (was a council swap), so I wouldn't expect to get straight answers from her either unfortunately.

I've wiped down the windows and turned on the heater, double checked all the vents. I took down the fleece for now, and will see how things go over the next few days. If the condensation is still there without the fleece up, then clearly it's got nothing to do with the fleece.

I'm browsing online for a dehumidifier as I'd already been considering one anyway as we sometimes hang clothing to dry up in the bathroom and I do worry about damp. We had it really bad with black mould and a rotting wall in a previous flat. I had been going crazy trying to sort it, and then we found out it was because of a plumbing error in the wall that was allowing water to drip into the wall cavity! (relieved it wasn't my fault, but took ages to get repaired as they kept insisting we weren't being careful enough to prevent damp even though I knew we were!)

I've found one I like but it's £179. Ouch!

I love my dehumidifer!
    Just looked online...it's just under £160.
    It warms up the room....my room is massive... and dries clothes really quickly....well, overnight. Surprising the amount of water it collects. x PM if you want to know which I have, I don't want to be seen as advertising! x
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    I am busy knitting extra socks as some of ours are getting a bit threadbare. I have started a new cardigan for myself this afternoon and have a scarf and mitts to finish. I picked up some new thermal vests for my Dad who lives with us. We have preserved loads of apples from the neighbours tree and have enough jam to see us through. We have an extra load of logs this year as we ran out in February last year and had to use coal and our calor gas heater.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Penny.. I had a similar thing with only 1 window, I bought an interior dehumidifier, which is like a plastic pot with crystals in the top that absorb moisture and then store it in the container below. I've attached the Amzn link below for you.. I found it really helped that 1 window, dramatically reduced condensation. Obviously once the tub is full & crystals are used up you'll need to replace it, but the multi-packs are a decent price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0157XLT7C/
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Okay. Still some condensation on the windows this morning, although less of it. But not the front bay window. Vents are still all open, as before. I did note the area by the bay window is rather cold this morning. There is a radiator there, however, it's weird - there's a windowseat, with a cutout portion in the top back of it for the radiator to come through. Worried that all the head from the radiator is going to be going into the cabinet underneath the window seat instead of the front room itself as that's the only radiator in the room (very tall ceilings).

I'm a bit wary of putting the curtains behind the radiator - it's not a fire hazard?? (bit paranoid about those radiators, as I grew up with forced air vents in the states)

The window company has one more window to replace and are supposed to be contacting me this week, so I will talk to them about it.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Couldn't see a thing out of my windows this morning thanks to outside condensation and the conservatory doors had the snail trail, like Mrs LW I'm baffled as to why only one door out of the two but none of the windows? Now the suns come out it's all drying off nicely and the fence panels are steaming away - I do love watching that.

I'm on the look out for a decent brushed cotton duvet cover, I only have one for my bed and I'd love another. This set was brought in Wilkes reduced to £3 a few years back and it washes and tumbles well, a similar set brought elsewhere last year for DD2s bed bobbled after a few uses. If anyone has any recommendations? DH can be back in bed an hour after getting up so I need to strip and remake the bed as quickly as possible or I'd just stick to the one set.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Golightly72
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    I'm on the look out for a decent brushed cotton duvet cover, I only have one for my bed and I'd love another. This set was brought in Wilkes reduced to £3 a few years back and it washes and tumbles well, a similar set brought elsewhere last year for DD2s bed bobbled after a few uses. If anyone has any recommendations? DH can be back in bed an hour after getting up so I need to strip and remake the bed as quickly as possible or I'd just stick to the one set.

I haven't bought their duvet cover (yet!), but I did buy the brushed cotton fitted sheets from Dunelm Mill last weekend, and they are lovely, seem very nice quality and well priced.

http://www.dunelm.com/product/brushed-cotton-bed-linen-collection-b02610
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Penny

I have a problem with condensation. I do, at this time of year, dry clothes indoors. My brother had a dehumidifier and I borrowed his to see how I fared..... omg, the amount of water that collected.

I bought my own and can thoroughly recommend it ... DeLonghi DEM10 ....£119.00 from John Lewis. Its the second one I had. I gave my other one to my brother, who has the same problem, although his has gone on to be rising damp now!!! Either way, he is a pest for never opening his windows and so this has helped dry the moisture out of the air. Also, with the dehumidifier sucking the moisture out of the air, any clothes drying on the maiden, dry quicker too, win win.

Best of luck.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Thanks for all the info on condensation on the windows. Nothing today, but keeping an eye on the situation. If it continues, I will look at purchasing a dehumifidier.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport