PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's feeling decidedly cooler here today and when the wind picks up I've been aware of leaves blowing down off the trees in large numbers. We haven't lit the wood stove yet but we do have logs, kindling and paper logs in ready to go when we do get to feel too cold in the evenings. Still running with the summer quilts in though and haven't used the fleece throws on the back of the sofa but I feel the time is getting close!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having just come back from SW France after a couple of weeks of glorious weather I must now prepare myself psychologically for a cooler, duller climate. It is much darker later in the mornings and earlier in the evening and I feel rather constrained by it all. Once the clocks change later in the month I will feel a bit isolated as I work at home and only really go out and about at weekends. I haven't really felt cold yet, so that's a bonus.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 October 2016 at 7:52PM
    Options
    I have just laid the fire in the stove, haven't lit it yet but we have rain for the first time in ages and we can feel the temperature falling. Staying warm watching the recorded Wasps vs Zebre rugby match but I think we'll light up later in the evening, must be autumn!!!

We lit up at 6.30 and the lounge is now beautifully toasty warm, unfortunately I am typing this in the study which isn't!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH has laid patio, had the old greenhouse dismantled and removed and today has been treating/painting the shed. Garden now looking a huge mess but it will ask come right in the end.

Crazy place we bought. DH found a 2ft deep cellar under the greenhouse base as well....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was my birthday at the end of September, so I used the money my mum sent me to buy a 5 foot bolster pillow for my bed. And the difference it's made to my coziness in bed is amazing. It somehow makes the bed a lot warmer, probably because it's forcing me to lie in a smaller area, so concentrating the heat!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got the electric blanket on and been using my slanket on a night as its definitely getting chilli - had the heating on a bit too for the kids to keep the chill off on a night too.
    Living the simple life
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to feel cosy try brushed cotton sheets, you won't go back!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • mancbird
    mancbird Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just joining this thread :) We are moving from south Devon to Scotland shortly so looking for ideas :)
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 October 2016 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Thermal undies, good quality wellies, a good set of waterproofs, midge repellent and developing a taste (if you don't have one already that is) for decent 'real' whisky to offset the inclement weather! Porridge with salt too, which I prefer to sweetened but comes as a surprise if you're not used to it. Good Luck with your move, I'm envious as Scotland is such a beautiful country!

Spelling corrected Living Proof, confessing ignorance of both the spelling and not knowing of the 'e' difference, now enlightened!!! Thank you!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thermal undies, good quality wellies, a good set of waterproofs, midge repellent and developing a taste (if you don't have one already that is) for decent 'real' whiskey to offset the inclement weather! Porridge with salt too, which I prefer to sweetened but comes as a surprise if you're not used to it. Good Luck with your move, I'm envious as Scotland is such a beautiful country!

Whisky in Scotland, whiskey in Ireland!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport