PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm another Capricorn who loves both autumn and winter passionately - I've always said i have "reverse SAD" as I feel so much more alert and alive when the clocks go back in autumn, and so sluggish and slowed down in summer (most hot weather in Britain feels like I'm wading through waist-deep treacle to do anything or go anywhere!)

I feel exactly the same! This is my time of year, I thrive (or at least I normally do, I'm just coming out of a rather nasty dose of flu that kept me bedridden for days). I feel like I've lost weeks being poorly and can't wait to get back out in the crisp air and hunker down with good warming food in front of the fire.

I'm a June cancerian so really doesn't follow for me to have such a dislike of summer but there you go.

Well stocked medicine cupboard and excess tissues have really helped in my quest to get better, as has having a good store cupboard. DH is disabled so me being bed ridden for days has been tricky. Luckily DDs have been on hand (reading week from uni) so they've been able to help out with day to day stuff.

Had the fire lit all day yesterday as The house felt cold and damp, we'd brought different coal this year and it's far better, pushes out a lot more heat and burns far slower. I shall be sure to order that again next year.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    It feels quite cold and it was foggy here this morning. Winter is coming.:A
    Gers wrote: »

I'm dreading the clocks going back this weekend, it gets so very dark here and there aren't any street lights for eight miles.

:eek: I really can't imagine what that must be like. I think I would carry an emergency torch in my handbag at all times.:D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I`m a capricorn too :D and can`t wait for autumn and winter, every year

anyone else 19 january?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 October 2016 at 3:35PM
    Options
    You beat me by 1 day Kittie!

This year for the first time I can remember we aren't having a late budding up of the Magnolias, in fact they've only flowered once this year not the two or three times that is the norm and the hawthorns and wild roses are absolutely covered with fruits as are any acers, oaks and beech trees and the hollies are covered. We went for a walk this afternoon and conifers on the footpaths that have never had cones before are laden, I wonder if we've just had really good growing conditions this year or if the old wives tales about abundant autumns and severe winters are about to be proven true?
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    I'm a Scorpio and I love this time of year too. I went for a 4 mile walk around a local village and fields last weekend. The sky was blue, the air was clear, I didn't need a coat, just a hoodie that I unzipped once I'd warmed up, it was lovely. I started to wonder why I hadn't done this back when I bought my walking trail guidebook back in July, and then remembered that there was no way I could have done it in the summer as I just can't stand the heat. Cold crisp days, or mild days with a hint of chill, are much, much nicer for good roaming activities.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You beat me by 1 day Kittie!

Lol, I always thought our attitudes were similar and the way we always see a project to the end
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stubborn or tenacious??? we can't change who we are but I hope it's tenacious! xxx.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a lovely walk into the town yesterday. The sun was shining, the leaves were 'scuffily', and the smell of the leaves was rising with such a woody aroma that I was transported back to childhood. Loved the warm sunshine which encouraged me to unzip my coat, stuff my gloves into my pockets and scarf into bag! I know that it will get cold, damp and miserable soon but I'm going to stock up these memories for when I really need them. It's really true, we should make the most of every season.
    I don't do Halloween, (I'm of the 'turnip and 'dookie' apple generation, pumpkins and fancy dress just don't seem right to me) but once that's over I'll be into full cosiness mode.
    Just an idea that I always do is placing a torch or pushlight on a windowsill in main rooms. Handy if you wake during the night or have a powercut. They are more easily found due to some outside light and everyone knows where to find them. (The pushlights can also be popped into dressing gown pockets while lit, giving some light without waking sleeping partners ;) )
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Just read the Scottish forecast for the first fortnight in Nov and it's blustery with a north wind, snow for the mountains. Here we go winter 16/17 :snow_laug:snow_laug
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I knew I knew your name from somewhere, mardatha - if I said "the kilties thread, you'd know where I meant! I was 'BleakMidwinter but moved south in 2014... I miss the Kilties discussions!

Where I am now in Telford and Wrekin, acc'g the stats, is only one degree warmer in summer on average than my old home in Edinburgh, and only one degree colder in winter - last year was hopelessly mild of course but I'm hopeful for a spot or snow here this year! We don't get tons, but we are near some hills we can drive to and let me play a bit if there's a proper fall...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback