PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    It's definitely now winter: my partner is still only clad in t-shirt and trousers when we go out for a stroll but he now wants his woolly hat to keep his ears warm :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Stay safe doon there among they furriners BMW !!!
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    Ok I need some help pretty please.

Last winter we didn't go over £65 a month on fuel for a three bed house apparently with double glazing (but really its not, its blown) and a hole in the ceiling into the loft after my OH put his foot through it.

Now, I just threw out the tumble dryer which a) generated heat and b) dried clothes. So this means I'll need to actually have the radiators on. I've got a small dehumidifer upstairs under the clothes in an effort to stop the water damping up the walls. How do I get the clothes dry, not have the heating on and not damp the house up? I have to have the windows open, I'm worried about condensation. argh
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It`s a bit old fashioned but in the old days with 3 children, husband and no tumbler drier or central heating. I used to watch the weather forecast and if we were going to have a drying day, then I would start my washing early that day, so that everything got out and only needed airing afterwards. We used to have long lines and lifting poles and they were very efficient, much better than the spinning ones. I rarely had to dry anything indoors, I just planned ahead
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I get up and look out the window and think 'what a lovely drying day'. Nothing better than clothes dried outdoors.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I`m a capricorn too :D and can`t wait for autumn and winter, every year

anyone else 19 january?

Another autumn & winter lover, and another 19th of January ! :bdaycake:
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anyone 19th jan plus 1948?

I am getting more fuel pellets today, going to be stockpiling more and keeping 15 x 10kg bags indoors, in hall and anywhere. The ones in the garage are covered in polythene to protect from condensation on the bags. Brought my screen de-icer into the hall and will shortly be putting my winter kit in the car and also keeping the car topped up with fuel

I have masses of food in and lots of easy to heat foods, just need to check that gaz canisters and cooking ring are ok and handy
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I still have long washing lines and poles, got two new lightweight metal expanding ones on amazon that are great. But leaving washing on the airer in front of the fire all night dries everything easily. I'm very lucky with this house, built in the 1930s.
    Got a year's supply of Calor gas and 2 coalhouses full. Now my only worry is getting a tea stash ...:)
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    We have long lines and poles too, plus I have a pulley in the kitchen - its the original one that was in the house when it was built ( bit like the new broom though, lots of rope changes) and stuff dries on there overnight.
    Have never owned a tumble drier.

Definitely colder here now!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We have a warm air drying thing for when its not good drying weather.
    It has a sort of balloon jacket and you hang the clothes inside it and switch it on so that warm air circulates).

This year we also have a spin dryer given how rainy it was last year. It is surprising how much water is still in laundry after the washing machine has spun it at 1000rpm. Then of course the clothes dry much quicker even indoors on the kitchen airer (about half the time) .
    The spin dryer is the cheaper to run as heat is not involved.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback