PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Cafekate
    Options
    Hi I too have one of those driers which have a jacket on. Best thing I've ever bought especially with teenagers who have spent their own money on stuff which can't be tumble dried. In fact I've got a spare.
    Winter preps here include bringing the windup radio and stove top kettle from the caravan to our house. If gas goes off we have microwave,slowcooker ,toaster to make food and we also have an electric fire which is also useful if boiler and central heating goes.
    Think I've more than enough candles.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    It was frosty and cold this morning, but it's a bright and sunny day. I love this type of weather.:)

I woke up cold in the night so it may be time to switch to my winter nightwear. I was still wearing my summer shorts.:D
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Trying to persuade DH to make a zig zag clothes horse from wood scraps, so I can put clothes in front of the wood stove to finish off drying. We have a great big clothes horse already but it is one of those ugly plastic and metal thingies, not nice in the front room, instead a nice wooden one would be OK to leave there. Will update you on progress. (If any....)
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Was up and out early this morning and that wind is coming right from the North Pole to my hill! Bloody freezing. Grass and cars were white and frozen too, but the wind was murder.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Still relatively mild in Telford, although I was definitely glad of nice hat, gloves, neck-cowl-thingie and socks all knitted by me! So actually, I suppose I don't mean "mild" at all, do I, given that it was cold enough to need all those, and others were wrapped up too - but not freezing, no icy wind, nothing white with frost... forecast for our first 0-degree night this weekend :)

I'm getting better at making soups - I only like one soup (my own homemade bacon and lentil), which limits me a bit, but I am steadily learning to make others for my OH, so we will eventually have a freezer drawer full of bags of one-bowl's-worth of soup and then I can have bacon & lentil and he can choose whichever he likes; ping in the microwave and there's a hot meal ready for us. It's only a little freezer so I have to be selective. I had been using it to store ingredients more, but gradually I'm learning that we live surrounded by 364-day supermarkets so it makes more sense to work on filling the freezer with things we use. We've saved the microwaveable dishes from our occasional ready-meals so I shall make some pasta meals to freeze in those and have our own healthy ready meals :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Woke up to a wonderfully white and frosty garden this morning but it vanished as soon as the sun was up. Really appreciated having the woodstove going last night too, first time this year we've actually 'needed' it. I was awake for quite a lot of last night and spent some if it just looking at the beautiful clear star filled sky, winter has its compensations!
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    For those without a spin dryer, you can reaping the washing in your machine and you'll be amazed just how much drier it comes out. I always double spin things that need to be dried inside

Although I can set the spin speed (up to a 1000) on my washing machine I suspect (well, pretty certain) that certain programmes use a slower speed. So a second dedicated spin will be at the speed you request. As I tend to chuck most things together I use minimum washes, take some things out so that they dry without creasing and then give the remaining the full speed treatment.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Met Office forecast for meee this weekend :D:D:D

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Mainly dry, bright with sunny spells but turning cold and breezy. Some showers across the Borders and east Lothians, with hill snow, and possibly wintry to low levels Sunday.
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Cafekate wrote: »
    Hi I too have one of those driers which have a jacket on.

Hi

What are they called? I think this would come in handy for us during the winter for the clothes that can't be finished in the T/D

El
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eltee12 wrote: »
    Hi

What are they called? I think this would come in handy for us during the winter for the clothes that can't be finished in the T/D

El

I don't have one of those, but I have a heated airer which is invaluable (I use it for handwash items, gym kit and other stuff that can't go in the TD now that it only does hot and not warm). It also keeps the room it's in a bit warmer :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback