What do you do if you suspect your partner is cheating

Options
123457»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    Perhaps it would have been better placed to say 'mostly' then as I can't see the majority of people coming clean when asked, I mean in this thread alone the people (except you) with first hand experience of confronting their cheating spouse had them deny it and whilst I'm glad it worked for you, I can think of a plethora of reasons why starting by asking is a bad idea (of which I won't repeat).
    Yes, maybe it would have been better to say 'mostly'...
    It's also nice you haven't had to resort to techniques that make you a 'second-rate gumshoe' but I wonder what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot and they'd said no but you were still suspicious (as is the case for the two posters below you)?
    Nobody has any idea what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot.
    But I knew 100% that he was having an affair so the conversation would have continued if he'd denied it.
    The point is the OP doesn't appear to know for sure that her husband is having an affair - unlike me and bugslett who dealt with that knowledge in the way that felt best to us.
    Personally, I wouldn't have wasted money on a PI if I'd known 100%.
    But we're comparing apples and oranges, I guess everyone's different and what may work for one person may not work for another. As you had said, and NeilCr has reiterated, having a non-accusatory conversation in the first instance seems like the best placed advice.
    And that's why people's opinions and advice - although totally opposite - are valid.

I doubt the OP is coming back to update this thread.
  • Mary_Bing
    Mary_Bing Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure he's cheating? Usually it's just too much women's suspecion with no reason.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The OP started the thread at the end of Feb with a one liner with minimal information and made one more post.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I doubt the OP is coming back to update this thread.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Gut instinct and intuition are rarely wrong. You ask them outright. You will know by their response whether they are being honest with you or not. Then you decide what happens next. Any other way to discover the truth undermines your position and takes away from your self respect.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts