PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• luckofthe_irish
    Options
    I put my freestanding radiator on this weekend and the electric blanket has also been put back on. I still have the summer duvet on but I think I am going to have to swap it over this weekend - I am frozen! Got the blankets on the sofa so I can snuggle up.
    Trying to make my way on my MSE adventure.. Debt free since June 2018:j

December GC £32.58/£130
    November GC £101.14/£135 :: another month under budget! :: another m
    Emergency Fund £104.77/£1000:(
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in South Wales and its raining today but its still 18 degrees so no heating yet - we have put out all the cushions and some throws for the evening, though we have the windows open on Sunday night
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 September 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    We were abroad last week with the heating off at home in Newcastle. Just before we returned our Hive thermostats were reading 16.0C and 16.4C.

I turned them both up to 21 while waiting in the airport departure lounge so it was toasty when we got back. That is the first time the heating has been on in months.

Quite looking forward to the cold this year as it will give us a chance to fire up the wood stove which we had installed in May, but which we have not had the opportunity to use due to our unusually pleasant summer.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Options
    Luck enough to be south of this dividing line across the midlands today. 19.3c outside (with drizzle) and 21c inside, so still some way from needing any extra heat. Guess it feels quite different further north.
  • Olliebeak1951
    Options
    Forecast for here today is 16/17deg - partially sunny - bit of a breeze. Living room may feel warmer when the sun shines on my large main window :D.

It'll be around 6.00pm when the sun goes behind neighbour's roofs, that it starts to feel cool - that's when I'll close the blinds/curtains to protect the room from the colder air outside.

There are five fleece throws around the two sofas and chair - so no excuse for feeling really cold at the moment :j
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    Highlands of Scotland here - heating still off. It's been a bit chilly but nothing a jumper hasn't sorted out yet :)
  • littlemoney
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Quite looking forward to the cold this year as it will give us a chance to fire up the wood stove which we had installed in May, but which we have not had the opportunity to use due to our unusually pleasant summer.

Hopefully it will just be a circle of cold around your house for you to test your wood stove. The warmer the better for me as my gas bills will be lower:j
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 September 2018 at 5:51PM
    Options
    Quick question - will net curtains make much difference to the room temp? I feel like it could potentially block heat in the day (reflecting back out?), but would they help retain heat in the evening, or just too thin?

Our heating is def off - likely to be for another month or so yet. We run quite hot and have throws for the couch in the evening. Plus we're often not at home in the evening!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully it will just be a circle of cold around your house for you to test your wood stove. The warmer the better for me as my gas bills will be lower:j

Ok then, a couple of nights of cold followed by warmth again so I don’t have to chop any more wood! 😄
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • littlemoney
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »
    Ok then, a couple of nights of cold followed by warmth again so I don’t have to chop any more wood! 😄

A much better idea:):):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure