Have you freed up space on your phone?

Options

Comments

• MDonovan
    Options
    Hello - Let's be clear, this is about freeing up Storage space - not Memory. The title in the main newsletter and article are ambiguous, or simply not correct - the body of the article and the byline DO say Storage but the title is misleading...
  • lesleymarr
    Options
    I took all old photos and Whapsapp chats off my doogeephone and it made no difference!
    I see I have Xender. do i need this for Whatsapp or Olio?
    The doogee is an android but i can't see how to tell if an app was ever used. Martin's instructions don't work, because the layout is different.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:56PM
    Options
    The most important thing for your article to stress is that people should back up their data, whether it be phone numbers or photos. When I worked for a mobile network is was easy to lose count of the number of people who thought they had lost irreplaceable photos. It was so heart-warming on those occasions we could show them how to connect to their cloud storage and regain those memories. On the contrary there were some very difficult calls when people had lost stuff forever
  • Jabba_flabba
    Options
    The tip about seeing which Android apps were last used ain't right - the three-line options icon allows you to sort by "Last updated" which is obviously different to "Last used"". Perhaps this varies on other versions of Android (mine's still 5.0.2) but I doubt it.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    Thanks for getting involved, Colin_Maybe.

Have you uninstalled/frozen bloatware on your own phone? How much space did you manage to save?

Hope you don't mind me butting in!

I mentioned Apps2SD above, which also allows you to uninstall bloatware. You can even move/uninstall system apps (although I wouldn't recommend it).

When you move apps to the SD card using the built-in Android feature, only part of the app is moved (data files, rather than the app itself). This frees up some space, but you can still easily run out of room (especially on older phones). Apps2SD can move EVERY part of the app to the SD card.

In short, there's nothing more powerful than Apps2SD if you want to free up space on an Android phone. It requires root access, but the ad-supported version is free!

As well as uninstalling bloatware from stock Android firmware, I've uninstalled lots of things I'll never use, such as:

Email, Bluetooth Share, Music, Exchange Services, Calendar, the Wallpaper Picker, default Browser, cLock (lockscreen messages), Work profile setup, Calendar Storage, CM Audio Service, Weather Service, Weather Provider, Android Easter Egg, Photo Screensavers, Picos TTS, the Wallpaper Cropper, Print Service Recommendation Service, Basic Daydreams, Bluetooth MIDI service, Wallpaper Backup, etc.

It's not the most intuitive software to use, and I can imagine it being a bit confusing if you're not technically minded.

Just thought I'd elaborate a little for anyone who's interested.
  • threeshoes
    Options
    Every 6 months or so I connect my iPhone or iPad to my iMac and back it up. Then I click on Restore and go through the whole reset process. This recovered me a good 10-15Gb on my 64 Gb devices, but it takes about 2 hours each.
  • minimax3
    Options
    Hi
    My wife has a Sony Experia E4 which seems to have many embedded apps. I have got rid of all that can be removed but I am left with the rest the majority of which she does not want.
    I see that I can disable some but wish to be sure that I am not causing more trouble because when I tried one I got the message that the world would end if I did so.
    Am I safe to disable the unneeded apps? Can anyone help!
    Regards
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 October 2018 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Hello there forumites.

I hope this Monday finds you well.

The 'How to increase phone storage' guide is due to feature in this week's Money Tips Email, and as such I'm looking for a 'storage saver' case study.

Have you followed the tips in the guide - or those you've seen elsewhere - and successfully freed up space on your mobile? Then please let me know - all I'm looking for is a brief description of what you did and a rough idea of how many MBs/GBs you saved.

And if freeing up space saved you from having to buy a new handset then I'd definitely like to hear from you!

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin
  • kimberley10
    Options
    Hi I have done most of the things suggested, have CCleaner which I use daily, I have an expansion card of 14gb which all my photos are on. Trouble is my phone is only 4gb and everytime my apps need updating I get a message, cannot update, no storage. Tried moving apps to storage, but they just move themselves back. Help
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi I have done most of the things suggested, have CCleaner which I use daily, I have an expansion card of 14gb which all my photos are on. Trouble is my phone is only 4gb and everytime my apps need updating I get a message, cannot update, no storage. Tried moving apps to storage, but they just move themselves back. Help

Get a new phone.

Sorry but if you've really only got 4GB of internal storage and you want to use even just a few modern apps then you need more space than the phone will allow. What phone is it and what sort of external card has only 14GB of space on it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback