Have you freed up space on your phone?

edited 15 October 2019 at 1:17PM in Mobiles
58 replies 15.6K views

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi I have done most of the things suggested, have CCleaner which I use daily, I have an expansion card of 14gb which all my photos are on. Trouble is my phone is only 4gb and everytime my apps need updating I get a message, cannot update, no storage. Tried moving apps to storage, but they just move themselves back. Help

A new phone with at least 16GB of internal storage.

Didn't know you could get a 14 storage card, get a bigger card eg 32GB.
  • I have a 5 year old Sony Experian L ...and of course am urged to buy a new one .
    What is difference between Device Memory and internal memory?
    327 mb of 1.57 GB available on device memory
    1.4gb of 4 go available on internal storage
    13 gab of 14 GB available on so card

I have followed tips given ..but still can’t load any apps? ..and it seems I have memory.
    Thanks for any explanations
    Wyke
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Wyke6519 wrote: »
    I have a 5 year old Sony Experian L ...and of course am urged to buy a new one .
    What is difference between Device Memory and internal memory?
    327 mb of 1.57 GB available on device memory
    1.4gb of 4 go available on internal storage
    13 gab of 14 GB available on so card

I have followed tips given ..but still can’t load any apps? ..and it seems I have memory.
    Thanks for any explanations
    Wyke

Device (or system memory) is used by the system for running the OS and any apps, internal is used for actually storing the apps/photos/videos/music etc.

An external card can be used for storing some apps (some won't allow that) plus if you wish photos/videos/music etc. It can be set up purely as removable external storage in which case it can't be used for any apps.
  • Thanks

Hence ..if I can’t delete any more apps ...the device memory is full?
    ...and I cannot do anything about it?
  • Hi all,
    This is a tip I learnt for iPhones, but it only works if you are *really* tight on space.
    Go to the iTunes store and find a big file - preferably a video. Think 'Titanic' in 4K. The size of the file should be well above what you have available in storage.
    Go to purchase and download it. Don't worry, iTunes won't let you and will come up with a message saying something like 'not enough space'. Close iTunes.
    Unbeknownst to you, your iPhone is now working in the background clearing out all the unnecessary cache and other bits to make space.
    This can free up a few hundred Mb, and even a few Gb.
    Try it out, and look at the before-and-after storage.

Alex
  • I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini with Android 6.0.1. I was running out of space so bought a 32GB SD card for it, however seem to have problems using it effectively.

For example, it currently shows I have 15.47GB used out of 16.00GB device storage (4.10GB System memory, 12.71 Used space (of which 12.67 GB is Applications), 783 MB Cached data, 541 MB Available space), but only 7.11GB out of 29.80GB on the SD card.

I seem to be able to move (some) apps there, but I find that over time they just appear to move back again, and I have to move them again. There also seems no way to download apps directly to the SD card.

Is there a way to download files directly to the SD card? I seem to have to let them go in device storage first and then I have to move them.

The only thing that seems to work simply is photos going automatically onto the card!
  • samanthaa_2samanthaa_2 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I recently did the factory reset, and it worked a treat. I took the precaution of backing-up everything I wanted. My Xperia Z3 Compact is more than 3 years old and I had struggled with the memory for ages, despite using many of the tricks described here. With the factory reset I managed to bring the used space from nearly 16GB to 12.5 - after loading all the apps and files I had previously. Hopefully I won't need a new mobile for a long time!
  • grahammgrahamm Forumite
    58 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    rob_2512 wrote: »
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini with Android 6.0.1. I was running out of space so bought a 32GB SD card for it, however seem to have problems using it effectively.

For example, it currently shows I have 15.47GB used out of 16.00GB device storage (4.10GB System memory, 12.71 Used space (of which 12.67 GB is Applications), 783 MB Cached data, 541 MB Available space), but only 7.11GB out of 29.80GB on the SD card.

I have the standard 16GB S5 with Android 6.0.1 and the first thing you need to do is to get rid of all the Samsung Bloatware.

This is programs which they add to your phone because they think they'll be "useful" for you, but you probably never use at all!

To start, what you should do is use Smart Switch to backup your phone content, data etc to your PC (if you have problems connecting it, try using a different USB cable).

Many apps can be removed simply by going to Apps, putting your finger on the icon, then dragging it to uninstall. Stuff like Flipboard, Smart Remote, Samsung Health etc can be dumped without worrying. Occasionally you may need to Force Stop and Disable the app before you can get rid of it (there are scary warning notices, but the apps you can do this on aren't ones that are critical to phone operation).

Once you've done that, check on a list like this one for programs which you've not used but which have been installed for your "benefit": https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FfjGcJLedFKsw7sQG_EnRObJLzhp0-90HI7oGK-1OPM/edit#gid=0

Get a program called Total Commander which lets you list *all* files on your phone and start clearing them out.

For a really thorough cleaning, download Titanium Backup and use SuperSU or a similar app to root your phone. This isn't as scary as it sounds, provided you only load apps from recognised sources (ie the Play Store)

It's also worth paying the £5 or less for the Pro version of Titanium Backup because that lets you "freeze" (ie stop) apps that you can't or don't want to uninstall, but don't want to allow to keep running and using up system space and resources (Samsung Calendar is a good example of this, I much prefer Google Calendar which is easier to sync across multiple devices)

That will let you get rid of the deep-seated bloatware if you want to get as much space back as possible.

After doing this, I've got 13GB used out of 16GB, but the apps that are on there are the ones that *I* want :D
    if i had known then what i know now
  • I have a 64GB Samsung S8, my smartphone surely has a lot of space left as I only have a few apps and I am not using it for photography as I have my SLR. And I always clear cache to ensure that memory won't go down.
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wyke6519 wrote: »
    Thanks

Hence ..if I can’t delete any more apps ...the device memory is full?
    ...and I cannot do anything about it?

You could repartition the device to give you more room for apps (and less room for photos/video/music files).

Or you could use Apps2SD to move entire apps to external storage.