Options

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 July 2018 at 8:14PM
    Options
    hucker wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind buys alcohol from a shop. Brew your own and save 90% by omitting the tax.

I'd rather drink beer that doesn't taste like chemical poison, and since you have no respect for anything except the bottom line price regardless of safety concerns, I'd advise people not to partake of your handiwork.

Oh and I'm not a garage mechanic nor a garage owner. Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they have a vested interest.

Mind you it's about time we considered the words of Mark Twain:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    One for the OP...

Wear your damned seatbelt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHY69AFstE
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I'd rather drink beer that doesn't taste like chemical poison

To be fair, years ago I cracked the secret of brewing top class homebrew lager - genuinely as good as you'll get in a pub.

Borrow a cooler, tap, CO2 setup and a couple of spare kegs from the Sgts Mess, brew directly in the keg and let the gas and ice coldness hide the fact it's pretty revolting (as is warm flat "real" lager!)
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    To be fair, years ago I cracked the secret of brewing top class homebrew lager - genuinely as good as you'll get in a pub.

Borrow a cooler, tap, CO2 setup and a couple of spare kegs from the Sgts Mess, brew directly in the keg and let the gas and ice coldness hide the fact it's pretty revolting (as is warm flat "real" lager!)

I like my ales a lot more than lager - I have one of those perfect draft machines. Not cheap but a way of getting decent beer at home
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like my ales a lot more than lager - I have one of those perfect draft machines. Not cheap but a way of getting decent beer at home

I agree on the preference, but wasn't sure even a basic bitter would have worked as well. Proper beers need to be at a temperature where the flavours develop, ice cold and fizzier than sherbert hides a lot of sins :beer:
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    I agree on the preference, but wasn't sure even a basic bitter would have worked as well. Proper beers need to be at a temperature where the flavours develop, ice cold and fizzier than sherbert hides a lot of sins :beer:

That's why americans tend to drink rubbish like Bud and Coors. Having said that around Colorado there are some very decent ales that aren't chilled to an inch of its life - Arrogant B'stard (the apostrophy stands for an A, is one very decent dark ale, and some of the american IPAs are very decent also.
  • hucker
    hucker Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll not go into detail about EU laws that have no relevance to this thread. When it comes to type approval for safety reasons, the EU has done a great deal to improve the safety of many things from car parts to electrical goods and chargers.

OP would you buy something that would set your house on fire because 'it was cheaper'? Type approval increases safety for all. Laws are in place for the benefit of most people. This will not change as and when and if Brexit happens. Safety standards will be pegged to the equivalent of the EU.

Yes I would and I do, I can make my own assessment of things and don't need a government from ANOTHER COUNTRY telling me what I can and cannot buy.
  • hucker
    Options
    And yet you think the government should step in to prevent companies doing business as they see fit for your benefit:

How on earth do you remember to breathe with all those contradictions running round in your head?

I'd prefer only two laws:
    1) Don't hurt people.
    2) Don't steal things.

But if we're going to have billions of laws, they should be decent ones, like preventing companies from ripping us off. We're supposed to have a "Trading Standards" but they do !!!!!! all.
  • hucker
    Options
    He's moaning about the loony left, yet he wants it to be illegal to make a profit. Joe Stalin would be proud...

I pay the garage a labour fee per hour. Charging money elsewhere is theft, not profit.
  • hucker
    Options
    Pure and absolute hyperboleshit. Just because some politicians have their noses in the trough doesn't mean they all have. Many of the leading brexiteers like Jacob Rees Snob has shipped all his investments to EU land so that he doesn't lose out. He's not the only one. Many of the brexiteers also oppose anything being done about offshore investments.

There are many honest and hardworking politicians in the UK parliaments. You just don't hear about them very often as that doesn't make the cut on any of the tabloids.

There clearly aren't very many as they never make a difference. It's the criminal ones that make the decisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure