My 5 year plan

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great news on the job offer! If you can still manage on the lower wage, I'd take it. Kids are only little once, and 2 years is a long time in a little one's life to be missing out on! I gave up a 60 hour-week job to spend more time with my son. Now I work a normal 37.5 hour week and things are so much better. I get paid marginally less but feel like I've had a massive payrise due to having a much better work-life balance. I also found that being stressed and on the go a lot actually made me spend more money than my nice quiet life now. :)

It's a very personal decision, but think about how you'll feel looking back on this in the far far future - what will matter to you more - being debt-free quicker, or spending more time with your family? I think you've been handed a really good opportunity, especially if you've already worked for this particular boss before - nasty surprises are unlikely.
  • LegBeforeWicket
    Options
    Hi Rab,

Just catching up on how things are with you.

I think that's some excellent advice by Moguline in the post above and I can't add much more of value to it. Only you know what the impact on the numbers will be and whether the new job is viable, but if it is then it's a case of working out whether the benefits of being at home are worth it. I don't have children but for me the comment about them only being young once is an important one - you don't get that time again.

Also, you mention the impact of turmoil and uncertainty. It sounds like this new job could bring some stability and that might be good for you and your health. Yes it comes with tighter purse strings but you have proven that you are are more than capable of living to a budget, so long as it's a viable one, which I'm sure it is.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on the job offer! Agree with the comments above. I'd also go with the free time over the extra pay scenario.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2018 at 1:34PM
    Options
    Well done on the job offer! Have you made a decision? Sounds like taking it would be a good move for the longer term. Hope your gut helps you to decide?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Rab, it seems like excellent timing. I too agree with Moguline. Overall you may be less stressed and with more resilience, therefore more able to manage the tighter finances.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated! On the job front, I haven't made an absolute decision yet. Watch this space as they say....

'twas payday yesterday but I have nothing to report. I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm going to sit on my wages for a few months until I see what happens on the job front.

I have overpaid enough into the mortgage to be on target for £58k re-mortgage in October so I'm not going to worry too much about reducing that any further for now either.

Home insurance is due on the 4th July so that'll be paid in full this year. I've still to shop around for quotes so I'll do that this weekend.

I've not been posting as much recently, I'd become so obsessed with the site and making a daily post I think I took my eye off the ball in other areas. My weight loss is not going well at all. I have a planned day out this weekend, it's my birthday soon and I have been off the booze for nearly 90 days so I'm celebrating that by going for a drink & a nice meal at our favourite restaurant!!

After Sunday I'm hitting the diet again. I don't need to focus so much on the finances as the next big events in my calendar aren't until Sept/Oct with the re-mortgage, car insurance, TV licence and Virgin media all due around the same time. I just need to get the NSD's and snacking back under control!

:)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I've decided not to take the job.

I was about to hand my notice in to my current employer but after a lot of deliberation and discussion with Mrs fatrab we have agreed that I'd be better staying where I am.

This was not an easy decision. The drop in money was a consideration but there were other concerns that I can't disclose on a public forum...

So I'll be home every night for the next 4-6 months as I'll be based at head office unless any big projects kick off early, so we'll cross that bridge if/when it happens.

Back to focusing on moneysaving.... :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad you have made the decision now - as long as you and the Mrs are happy that's all that matters.

Sounds like you've got some big plans coming up in the next few weeks! Good luck with it all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • LegBeforeWicket
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Glad you have made the decision now - as long as you and the Mrs are happy that's all that matters.

Exactly this.

Well done for making the decision so quickly. I know for a fact that I'd have dithered and that helps nobody. You know what your plans are for the next 4-6 months and I'm sure that will give you a stable platform for the future successes that are coming your way.
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good quick decision making! Much better than me :)

You sound like you're well on track financially wise, I'm sure it won't be long before you get your eye back in with everything else!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure