PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Not homemade wine as such but my friend made this 2 years ago and it was lovely http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-creme-de-cassis-liqueur-183432

Thanks Caronc for the idea above, I've just looked at it and it looks doable now as I'm sure I have some frozen blackcurrents somewhere at the bottom of the freezer plus everything else. I was supposed to be making cakes and biscuits tonight but that can wait.:)

I would be very interested in how this turns out as I also have some frozen blackcurrants I was going to make jelly (as in strained jam) with but no room on the jam shelves :o

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not expecting anything to go in or out of the freezers/cupboards today.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    out:
    yesterday - 3 packs fish in butter sauce, 1 pack fish in parsley sauce, 1 small salmon fillet, 6 king prawns, petit pois. The addition of onions and thinly sliced spuds made a surprisingly good fish pie which served 4 at under 300 cals per serving with my lunch for today now covered too.
    today - 1 YS jalfrezi ready meal, HM beef curry, HM sag channa, small pot of LO chicken Balti from a takeaway.

in:
    2 portions cauliflower soup
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 January 2017 at 10:55AM
    Options
    I would be very interested in how this turns out as I also have some frozen blackcurrants I was going to make jelly (as in strained jam) with but no room on the jam shelves :o SL

SL Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get round to it. Watering the chickens now they have to be indoors has taken up more time than I thought, plus our daughter has just written her car off in the ice - she's ok but I'm going to collect her dog for a couple of days whilst she has commitments. Then we'll have to help her sort out another car as she can't do without transport.

I'll see if I can rummage through the freezer later today when it's gone dark.

OUT
    Tea:- Pheasant casserole, just needs a topping and veggies,
    a couple of slices of 'forgettable' sponge just needs custard.

Lunch:- lamb sandwiches, a couple of pieces of walnut and date cake for DH
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thanks zafiro1984, I quite understand. Glad your daughter is ok, even if the car is not. I just found a bag of frozen elderflowers and currently have three empty bottles. I was going to make cordial with added campden tablets (act as a preservative) but I might experiment with half and some vodka instead to see how that works. It won't be today as I need 5 bottles (including the vodka one). That might be the encouragement I need :rotfl: to drink some of my wine lake...

SL
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Taken a 4 cheese pizza (10 inch thin and crispy) out of the freezer and will be creating a tuna pizza for later

Nothing back in today I will either eat the pizza or chuck it :)
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Curry from freezer bits bubbling away. Not sure it will do 4, there wasn't as much meat as I expected, and its occurred to me that all the bits were already cooked so probably shouldn't be re-frozen.

Tomorrow is Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. I had the neep in already and it needs using up so Ive brought our Burns supper forward from next weekend:D It's only a small haggis DH was given for Xmas so there shouldn't be any left to freeze, the cooked swede and mash will be used up during the week with sausages and the like.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    I had the left over stew for lunch, then was too full for tea so I did a naughty dinner for bubs. At least it means I managed to get rid of a few more onion rings on him. I think there's another portion in there and they'll be done! And used some dented baked beans. Will finish those tomorrow.

Pasta (fussili for him, spaghetti or angel hair for me as it's the only way it'll get used) with turkey mince meatballs and tomato sauce. Might do a side of broccoli - DS is obsessed with broccoli at the moment, he keeps asking for a bowl of broccoli for dinner. He's 5. Lol.

Oh, and I needn't bother with picking up dented branded tins in the future. He ate the "hina" beans (Heinz), but said he preferred the normal ones (tesco value). He's a good boy. Haha.
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Out of Freezer
    quorn sausages x2
    fish x1
    oven chips x 1 portion
    Couscous and veg x1hm dinner x1
    Chicken curry x 1

In Freezer
    1 portion of chicken curry

yay going well so far :-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Finished my inventory of 2nd freezer while home in daylight yesterday - found a litre of Mackie's Organic ice cream I had thought was chicken stock so we have an excuse to postpone our diet as if we need it :o

Among other things I have a huge pack of squid, one of raw, peeled tiger-prawns (think catering size), lobster tails, turkey pies, frozen pressure-cooked chick peas, loads of stock and soup. Blimey, I might need a padlock there's so much premium food out there (in the garden, under the outside rear porch) - oh and more frozen gooseberries and raspberries.

Removed a pot of turkey soup from freezer that we will have today - and the rest will be leftovers from during the week. DS finished up the leek and cauliflower gratin and a sausage roll last night, and I finished the chicken pie at lunchtime yesterday. A big pot of chili will be eaten and the remains either passed on to DS (v short of money this close to pay-day) or frozen if he doesn't want it.

Have a good weekend everyone

SL
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure