PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• fiftyeighter_2
    Options
    Oh Mrs Lurchwalker you are lovely and such a caring peace maker. Thank you.
    I must admit I secretly love the snow but understand it's not good for everyone. Anyway I get pleasure from prepping even if I get laughed at by my 19 yr old daughter, but only in a jokey way.
    I listen to everyone's views. I'm bad really I can never make my mind up. I just see every ones opinion. Oh well I'll never really end up in an argument will ? Lol.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 November 2014 at 7:47PM
    Options
    We've just had one of those little notices through the door with the telephone number to contact in event of a power cut and our supplier is Scottish and Southern Energy. I guess there is a level of uncertainty about the amount of electricity that will be available in the colder months particularly if we do get a really cold snap so all the energy suppliers are putting out these flyers, it's not necessarily a forerunner of gloom and doom, just a precautionary measure perhaps?

Hi FIFTYEIGHTER everyone laughs at me and I don't mind in the least, I know they'll come if they need something in times of trouble and I know they know I'll help. It's good to have enough that for anyone in need there will always be a little to give, life's much too short to worry about what folks think and sometimes actions really do speak louder than a thousand words petal!!!
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

Mrs LW - Berlin sounds "wunderbar" :D:p I walked through the Birmingham christmas market on Monday and you can't help but feel festive - even if you don't want to yet. :cool: I may treat myself to a couple of tree decorations (my collecting hobby, usually from holidays but i have only got one new one this year :()

My cupboard is getting fairly stocked - the local shop had 5 large cans of Hinz Beenz today for £2 which seemed a reasonable deal. I have coats, gloves, hats, fleeces and fleecey blankets.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/

Could you attach a curtain pole to the ceiling?http://www.diy.com/search/results/?question=ceiling+hook
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Hi I might join rather than lurking too.
    In my winter preps kit are 6 snow shovels and two strong spades, they were all needed in 2010/11! Load of logs delivered yesterday, new fuel cobbles coming on Friday
    I need to get my uht milk stash in and top up the chocolate reserve tank - will work on the groceries list...
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd really love a cup of tea when I get in in the evenings as there's nothing quite as nice as a lovely warm drink on a cold evening.

But if I have tea then I'll never sleep as my sleep patterns are bad enough as it is. Can't have herbal tea because it all tastes like wet cardboard to me.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this :o

Have you tried decaf tea? I keep some in for MIL as she has irritable bladder so avoids caffeine. So when I make her a brew, I (because I'm lazy) use the same tea caddy for mine, and I really can't tell the difference.
    I also used to drink rooibos (sp?) aka redbush tea which is naturally caffeine free. I'm not a fan of herbal either but this stuff is ok (although I did put a sweetener in which I wouldn't for normal tea) and it's just fine with a splash of milk.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I drink rooibos all the time. i can't drink ordinary tea now - it's too tea-y :D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent £2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!
  • pandamonium
    Options
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent £2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!

Another vote for red bush tea here. I have graduated from M & S decaf tea bags, which honestly taste just like ordinary ones.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2014 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Just seen a reminder about the Warm Home scheme. Don't forget to apply if you think you may be eligible - they can only say yes or no can't they. :D
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DD (4) is the proud owner of some Hello Kitty snow boots :T
    DS tried his on and they fit, plus I have another pair that the little boy up the road might like.

We have a nicely stocked cupboard, I think we are all set.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport