PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• fiftyeighter_2
    Options
    Oh Mrs Lurchwalker you are lovely and such a caring peace maker. Thank you.
    I must admit I secretly love the snow but understand it's not good for everyone. Anyway I get pleasure from prepping even if I get laughed at by my 19 yr old daughter, but only in a jokey way.
    I listen to everyone's views. I'm bad really I can never make my mind up. I just see every ones opinion. Oh well I'll never really end up in an argument will ? Lol.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 November 2014 at 7:47PM
    Options
    We've just had one of those little notices through the door with the telephone number to contact in event of a power cut and our supplier is Scottish and Southern Energy. I guess there is a level of uncertainty about the amount of electricity that will be available in the colder months particularly if we do get a really cold snap so all the energy suppliers are putting out these flyers, it's not necessarily a forerunner of gloom and doom, just a precautionary measure perhaps?

Hi FIFTYEIGHTER everyone laughs at me and I don't mind in the least, I know they'll come if they need something in times of trouble and I know they know I'll help. It's good to have enough that for anyone in need there will always be a little to give, life's much too short to worry about what folks think and sometimes actions really do speak louder than a thousand words petal!!!
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

Mrs LW - Berlin sounds "wunderbar" :D:p I walked through the Birmingham christmas market on Monday and you can't help but feel festive - even if you don't want to yet. :cool: I may treat myself to a couple of tree decorations (my collecting hobby, usually from holidays but i have only got one new one this year :()

My cupboard is getting fairly stocked - the local shop had 5 large cans of Hinz Beenz today for £2 which seemed a reasonable deal. I have coats, gloves, hats, fleeces and fleecey blankets.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/

Could you attach a curtain pole to the ceiling?http://www.diy.com/search/results/?question=ceiling+hook
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Hi I might join rather than lurking too.
    In my winter preps kit are 6 snow shovels and two strong spades, they were all needed in 2010/11! Load of logs delivered yesterday, new fuel cobbles coming on Friday
    I need to get my uht milk stash in and top up the chocolate reserve tank - will work on the groceries list...
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd really love a cup of tea when I get in in the evenings as there's nothing quite as nice as a lovely warm drink on a cold evening.

But if I have tea then I'll never sleep as my sleep patterns are bad enough as it is. Can't have herbal tea because it all tastes like wet cardboard to me.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this :o

Have you tried decaf tea? I keep some in for MIL as she has irritable bladder so avoids caffeine. So when I make her a brew, I (because I'm lazy) use the same tea caddy for mine, and I really can't tell the difference.
    I also used to drink rooibos (sp?) aka redbush tea which is naturally caffeine free. I'm not a fan of herbal either but this stuff is ok (although I did put a sweetener in which I wouldn't for normal tea) and it's just fine with a splash of milk.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I drink rooibos all the time. i can't drink ordinary tea now - it's too tea-y :D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • BritishBibliophile
    Options
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent £2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!
  • pandamonium
    Options
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent £2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!

Another vote for red bush tea here. I have graduated from M & S decaf tea bags, which honestly taste just like ordinary ones.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2014 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Just seen a reminder about the Warm Home scheme. Don't forget to apply if you think you may be eligible - they can only say yes or no can't they. :D
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DD (4) is the proud owner of some Hello Kitty snow boots :T
    DS tried his on and they fit, plus I have another pair that the little boy up the road might like.

We have a nicely stocked cupboard, I think we are all set.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport