Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 193
    • lazzareo2009
    • By lazzareo2009 9th Sep 19, 9:14 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lazzareo2009
    Hi, just looking for some advice regards a claim we submitted to EasyJet.

On Sunday 1st Sep 2019 we were due to fly back from Lanzarote to Manchester. Our flight was delayed by approximately 2.5 hours and then we had to sit on the run way for about 45 mins which resulted in a delay of over 3 hours.

I submitted a claim but this was rejected as follows:

Our assessment of your claim
    To further explain what happened on the day; air traffic control restrictions as a result of a partial air traffic control systems failure in France resulted in delays to flights as aircraft waited for air space ‘slots’ to operate, sometimes for several hours. The delays continued throughout the day which had a knock on effect to later flights. We do take reasonable measures to avoid delays and cancellations to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not available as the delay of your flight was as a direct result of air traffic control restrictions caused by a partial air traffic control systems failure in France.

Do you think the above statement is legit and there is nothing else I can do or is there a way to challenge the decision or can I check somewhere what was the official reason for the delay?

I am not sure if they are trying to fob me off or not and would welcome some advice.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Sep 19, 9:40 AM
    • 12,288 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Do you think the above statement is legit and there is nothing else I can do or is there a way to challenge the decision or can I check somewhere what was the official reason for the delay?
    Originally posted by lazzareo2009
    if you use the NWNF checkers it should give an indication on whether there is a valid claim
    for EasyJet flight was 1972 on the 1st, EUClaim shows
    "An analysis of the data for this flight shows that an extraordinary circumstance was the cause of the delay.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation.
    An extraordinary circumstance is a situation which the airline has no control over and cannot be held responsible for, for example, a strike by air traffic control staff, bad weather or a terrorist attack."
    • Vivtalk
    • By Vivtalk 17th Sep 19, 11:30 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vivtalk
    Flight Cancelled EJ won't cover cost of alternative flight???
    Hello, we were due to return from Mallorca to Bristol on Friday 13th (!!) - our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. (our flight was due to leave at 2pm but the airport had reopened its runways by 11am and it was blue sky. so not sure why we were cancelled rather than delayed)

But Anyway.... We stood in a queue for 4 hours to see the customer service desk. When i reached the desk the earliest Easyjet flight they could get us back on was Tuesday 17th. Or Monday 16th (but into Gatwick) I found a different flight with TUI for the Saturday but returning into East Midlands instead. We needed to get back as my son had missed his Grammer Entrance exam as a result of the cancellation and needed to get back for him to book his resit. The customer service adviser told us it was fine to book with another airline and we could reclaim the cost of the flight in full through the expenses section of the easyjet site. I questioned her twice to be sure and she confirmed.

I therefore paid almost 600 for new flights to EMA the following day. In the meantime, Easyjet put us up in a hotel for the night.

Upon submitting my expenses claims, it seems that Easyjet are refusing to pay for our flight as it was not back to our FINAL destination (i.e Bristol). I am so angry because we could never afford to have spent this if we thought we wouldn't get it back!

We had no other option. There were no other flights in to Bristol and Easyjet couldn't get us back for 4 days! Our options were Gatwick or East Midlands. So we went for East Midlands as its closer to our home.

Where do i stand on this????
    • JPears
    • By JPears 17th Sep 19, 1:35 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    JPears
    easyJet will jerk you around, unfortunately, in an pathetic effort to grind you down so you give up.
    1. The airline has a duty of care, including any costs, to get you to your original destination, via other airlines, modes of transport etc.
    They are responsible for the difference in new flights and your original flight costs AND any aditional expenses incurred in getting back to Bristol.
    This is a definite, very few, if any, exceptions.
    Ask for a deadlock leter and take your case to CEDR, who should find in your favour.
    If they don't you can go to small claims court. Or you can do this without going to CEDR.

2. I suspect you are also due compensation.
    Was your cancelled aircraft already staioned in Mallorca, or flying in? If the latter, then your cancellation was probably not an EC = compensation due.
    If EJ offered flights 2/3/4 days later then that is an unreasonable delay to your journey. This is the second hurdle the airline must clear otherwise they have to pay compensation.
    Try submitting your details to Botts online checker or EUclaim. They can give an indication of compensation due or not.
    Again CEDR and/or small claims court.
    Last edited by JPears; Yesterday at 2:01 PM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,926Users online

Martin's Twitter