PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I'm struggling already and it's not even halfway through the month! :( Not got an exact figure, but close to £200, when I'd hoped to spend just £400 for December. I think the problem is having slipped into bad habits after each of the littlies was born (4.5 and 2), along with doing lots of things for lots of people, so all my plans go pear-shaped! Need to lurk/read more on here to get my mojo back! :D

The up side is that my freezer is full, so I WILL use these things over the next week or 10 days - if I don't I can't put Christmas things in. Think I'll only need to buy vegetables, bread, milk, etc., if I do (and stick to!) some proper menus. Someone please light a virtual rocket under me! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ((((hugs)))) to all of you experiencing the bad weather. Hope you are all unscathed during the night. The wind is blowing strongly here and making a lot of noise and I can hear stuff blowing along and we are nowhere as bad as you have it.

DH seems to have seen sense and realises that home shopping is the way to go. He has asked me to add a couple of things to the order that he forgot to tell me about earlier, the boys are having a bangers and pizza evening at cubs and beavers so have had to order some GF stuff which has shoved the bill up.

Thanks for everyone's sympathy with my moans, it has helped me work through them. Recovering Spendaholic that is ridiculous, how do they expect people to survive like that? I can see why you don't use them now.

We had HM ready meals in the end, I am going to have to start replenishing my stock, it is seriously depleted.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good night last night and the winds didn't do too much damage.

Tesco delivery arrived, with a nice friendly driver. They didn't have the GF pizza so DH will have to pick up some on the way to cubs tonight. Total was £85 in the end.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2011 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Gosh, p5 already! :eek:

I'm already down for £160 for this month (thank you!), which is £40 per week. My first week down and I only spent £38, which means I have £2 in the savings pot. :j (Every little helps.)

Hi spendaholic,

I just popped on this thread looking for something (I'm not GC-ing at the mo) and noticed you said page 5 - this is page 3 for me, you might find it useful to change in your forum options so it shows more posts per page, cuts down the number of pages each thread has.

From the 'quick links' above and to the right, choose 'edit options'. There is a setting 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' if you scroll down, it probably says 'Use forum default', I have it as 'Show 40 posts per page' I think it's the max.

Apologies if you already know this, just thought it might help as I was glad to find this out. :)

edit: obviously when I say 'this is page 3' I mean the page my quote is from, this is page 11 now!
  • KolaKube
    KolaKube Posts: 427 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2011 at 11:47AM
    Options
    Rosieben and quintwins - thanks for the suggestions! I think quintwins may have it - clever! Petrol doesn't seem that much cheaper over the border but in terms of using the euros up we could use them to fill up OHs car which normally takes about £60 (we have a separate petrol budget - could then move the £60 into another budget / set it aside for januarys GC). And if theres any left over stock up on a few small bits while we're over there (although you can be guaranteed if theres any left over OH will spend it on bottles of diet coke and amazing down south dairy milk). Genius!

Edit: just got a letter in reminding me my car tax is due. That is where the £60 will go :( <sigh> always juggling money!
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KolaKube wrote: »
    Rosieben and quintwins - thanks for the suggestions! I think quintwins may have it - clever! Petrol doesn't seem that much cheaper over the border but in terms of using the euros up we could use them to fill up OHs car which normally takes about £60 (we have a separate petrol budget - could then move the £60 into another budget / set it aside for januarys GC). And if theres any left over stock up on a few small bits while we're over there (although you can be guaranteed if theres any left over OH will spend it on bottles of diet coke and amazing down south dairy milk). Genius!

Edit: just got a letter in reminding me my car tax is due. That is where the £60 will go :( <sigh> always juggling money!

aww pity about your car tax, see since i live here i know petrols that wee bit cheaper, we live in armagh but i can remeber my mum driving me over the boarder when we were younger and filling up, they would fill the car and big drums in the boot and go once a month, we always fill up if were close to the boarder but it's not worth a special trip
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • xxlouisexx56
    Options
    spent 23 pounds in morrisons and iceland this morning but we should now be good to get nothing else until monday

i love half price toilet roll!! lol

got a couple of bits for us to have on boxing day (we are with inlaws for xmas but my family are here for boxing day) including cans of coke (for my sister) mince pies and biscuits. I only buy this sort of stuff on offer its all good :D

Going to inlaws tomorrow so a free dinner for us... there is not much that can top a free dinner!
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Still doing well. Used up some veg last night. DH away over the weekend so will be living on soup and eggs. Going to try and put off shop until Sunday - will have to go then to get makings for Xmas to go in freezer. can't believe December is disappearing so fast. We're away next weekend so we'll be fed, but not sure when we'll get time to get tree, put decorations up, cook. (Am an accountant so worst time of year) Oh well. Plent of HM ready meals in freezer.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I've been clever this morning but need to check!

I mentioned the other day that I'm going to do a big shop at Asda to stock up on cupboard essentials and will need to spend £40 as I have a £5 voucher. I remembered that I get a 5% discount on Asda giftcards via work so today bought a £40 giftcard, costing me £38 and used some points left in my work ac!!!! to reduce it yet further by £1.60 so a £40 voucher cost me £36.40 :D

I will then get £5 off when I spend £40 and another £3.50ish from my last pricematch voucher, so I think that means that £40 of shopping will cost me around £28 and I'll have the rest of my giftcard balance for some Christmas treats.

Does my maths work?!
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Added up our grocery spend for the month so far last night (1st-31st Dec) and we were at nearly £200:eek:

Then I realised DH had put on everything he had bought, inc No more nails and a new car battery :rotfl:

So proper budget is now £111 spent for the month, not bad seeing how I only need a bit of meat for Sunday and Ive still got loads of other stuff to eat

x
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure