Amazon Prime Member Fee? Charged £48...

Options

Comments

• jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Custardy - as you work for them...

When my orders with Amazon are delivered Royal Mail - I know I will get them promptly with no hassle.
    When they bring in other carriers - I'm not so sure.

Arsenal, a couple of years back, for their online shopping, changed from Royal Mail to another carrier and it was horrendous. Parcels arrived incomplete if they arrived at all. It was a complete mess. They have, in my opinion, very sensibly gone back to using Royal Mail.

I read of people really upset with them, but personally, I only ever get really good service.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the rpoblem is that RM are so large(by the very nature of the universal service)that everyone is their customer
    being so large makes it near impossible to please everyone and run as a profit making business
    under old RM there were tons of staff,plenty of leeway and in real terms less work to do
    its even stuff like trying to phone your delivery office
    er cover 4 postcodes and 99% of the time have one guy dealing with customers at the desk plus the phone
    have you any idea how many calls you get from 4 postcodes every day!!
    you could have 2 staff full time on the phones and still not get near answering all the calls
  • keithprice
    Options
    Can someone give me Amazon`s phone number please. I too have been ripped-off by Prime Member Fee. I want to call them. My email address is [EMAIL="keithpricejnr@tiscali.co.uk"]keithpricejnr@tiscali.co.uk[/EMAIL] Many thanks, Keith Price
  • dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keithprice wrote: »
    Can someone give me Amazon`s phone number please. I too have been ripped-off by Prime Member Fee. I want to call them. My number is 01473 xxxxx. Many thanks, Keith Price

You really don't want to be putting your telephone number on an open forum on the internet. I would edit it,
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    whats wrong with people and being 'ripped off'
    i used the trial,cancelled my auto renewal
    job done
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    whats wrong with people and being 'ripped off'
    i used the trial,cancelled my auto renewal
    job done

Ditto! :D.........
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • beerwolf_2
    Options
    :mad: I agree with joanne 35, the original poster. I feel swindled, tricked, conned, duped. I just arrived home from work & opened my bank statement to discover that I had a mystery £49 charge on my account. I categorically did not consciously sign up to this. I bought some books & paid. :angry: I definitely had no idea I had agreed to pay £49 for my future deliveries. I thought I was the victim of an internet fraud, & as far as I'm concerned, I am. If I can unwittingly fall for this, many others must have done too.
    It would be fine if they made it really clear what it was & how much it costs, & made it so you have to agree to pay for something that is clearly not your order,& how much it is, but it has been devised to be confused with the payment for your order. I'm sure it would fall short of Trading Standards guidelines in any other medium, if not outright illegal, but the internet is not policed in the same way as other sales are. Very underhand, very sneaky, & taking loyal, trusting customers for a ride. I bet they are making millions out of this in the run-up to xmas. Well, they won't be making any more out of me, I won't be shopping there any more, & if the same thing has happened to you, complain, get your refund, & don't shop there again. Warn your friends! :idea: There are plenty of other on-line shops.
  • Jo_Mc_2
    Jo_Mc_2 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get how people are being signed up for this without knowing. I order quite a lot of things from Amazon and didn't take up the trial offer of Prime trial until a month ago. It was 'advertised' on Amazon for sometime and the free trial was clearly marked as that, a free trial of something you would be charged £49 for if you didn't cancel. You don't even have to remember to cancel - in your account settings is a section regarding Prime membership and in there you have the option to not upgrade one the trial is over. Easy.

As for Prime, I've used it quite a lot during the last month. In my opinion it's only as good as the carrier. Something despatched to me on Monday with an estimated delivery of Tuesday wasn't delivered by Royal Mail until today (Thurs).
  • beerwolf_2
    Options
    well, I'm glad someone noticed what they are letting themselves in for, maybe you've noticed some ad for it somewhere & realised what it is all about. It was just a meaningless tag to me which didn't say "careful not to click this or it'll cost you £50". I'm pretty careful with my money, I don't rush round internet sites clicking things indiscriminately, I don't really know how it happened to me, I guess I didn't understand when it says "do you want quick, cheap delivery" they mean, "ok then give us £50".
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why click on it if you dont know what it is. no wonder you lot get in a mess. Oh I will just click and check this box today seems to be the mantra.

I am a member of Amazon Prime and made my money back in 1 month alone as we shared the membership between 5 people costing me all of a tenner
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure