TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When I search for "buy a TV licence", I don't see any references to TVLicencePlus on the first page at all.

However, when I search for "buy a TV license", they are there as the #2 entry in the ads area at the top.

Sometimes it pays to get your spelling right. :)
  • pesser_2
    pesser_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the British Bug(g)ery Corperation won't get a penny from me
  • manevs
    Options
    (I have scanned previous posts but couldn't see an answer to this)

Would I be right in assuming - BBC and other channel programmes I recorded (on my PVR) when I DID HAVE a TV licence I can still watch now I have cancelled my TV Licence? Just want to be clear in case I get a knock on the door!

I will, of course, NOT record anything new since cancellation.
  • james_smitha
    Options
    Regarding the advertised April '19 £4 rise in the TV license. In what way wouldn't it be more effective to simply raise the B&W one to that of color for watching the same program? As I understand it most B&W licenses are only owned under false pretense
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 February 2019 at 9:25PM
    Options
    manevs wrote: »
    Would I be right in assuming - BBC and other channel programmes I recorded (on my PVR) when I DID HAVE a TV licence I can still watch now I have cancelled my TV Licence? Just want to be clear in case I get a knock on the door!

Yes, this is correct.

There is no requirement to speak to TV Licensing if they should call at your door.

There are wide-ranging rights across several areas of law that provide for your privacy and your silence in the face of official questioning that TV Licensing do not always observe (either in policy or in practice).
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Regarding the advertised April '19 £4 rise in the TV license. In what way wouldn't it be more effective to simply raise the B&W one to that of color for watching the same program?
    The number of B&W licences that remain in force is tiny. It would make no difference to the amount of the increase.
    As I understand it most B&W licenses are only owned under false pretense
    I don't think there are any official figures.
  • As I understand it most B&W licenses are only owned under false pretence

How does anyone know that?
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    There are wide-ranging rights across several areas of law that provide for your privacy and your silence in the face of official questioning that TV Licensing do not always observe (either in policy or in practice).

I think you mean unofficial questioning.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 February 2019 at 11:02PM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I think you mean unofficial questioning.

Quasi-official questioning?

The thing about TV Licensing is that THEY believe they have some kind of official role, and that means that they readily accept that HRA, PACE and Common Law apply to their activities.

Who knows what kind of a legal mess we'd be in if they decided that they were simple salesfolk. ;)
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    Who knows what kind of a legal mess we'd be in if they decided that they were simple salesfolk. ;)

None, because everyone would just treat them like Double Glazing sales people.

You know, like we already do. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure