PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unfortunately we are decluttering food so well we had no bread, so lunch today was slices of salami for DSis & an sm small pizza for me (DSis didn’t like the topping :eek:) - we both have medicines to take :D

Have taken a couple of cheese & spinach pies from freezer & will have with some frozen veg for tonight’s dinner.

No cooking tomorrow as having lunch at the farm :T:T

LFHW
    MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Sunday lunch at the farm was marvellous :):j Arrived at noon & left about 6:50 p.m. :rotfl: The whole family was there - 3 generations - kids at one table & adults at the other - excellent food, managed some good conversations & much laughter & merriment :T:T A fitting send off for my DSis after 22.5 years in France:rotfl:

Delivered most of the freezer contents to DNeph + all the cleaning products :rotfl: Freezer being defrosted this p.m. & collected tomorrow. Most of the tinned stuff will be delivered to DNeph tomorrow + the fridge can be emptied & cleaned ready for collection :T

DNeph is not a LFHWr :eek: 4 ood sliced loaves binned :eek:

Off to clean :eek:

MrsSD

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello chums well I managed to make a good sized lasagne yesterday which went into the freezer for next weekend when my visitor is here, and I had enough minced beef mixture left to make two small ready-meal sized shepards pies which I bulked out with a tin of baked beans from my tinned stash :) so not only do I have a lasagne which I know will have left overs :) I also have two ready-meals for the freezer. not bad for a packet of y/s beef mince which only cost £1.19 Probably around 6 meals all told. I seem to have accumulated quite a stash of baked beans, so I am using them to help bulk out a few meals. Half a tin with a couple of sausages and an egg and a mushroom or two is a filling mid-week meal for me :)

Last shop of the month today, :) and only spent £14.99 on essentials so monthly totals are pretty good for May.

The freezer is slowly going down (although the above meals I made seemed to have filled it up a little, but they will be used over the next week) I was gifted a bottle of Limoncello from my DD and a poster has suggested using some over some ice cream, sounds rather yummy and a rather nice puding :) Any other suggestions are welcome ,apart from poured over ice with soda water to have as a long cold drink when watching Wimbledon :):):).

I am away for a week to Stratford -upon-Avon in the first week of June so I shan't be shopping much now foodwise until I come home. All the more reason to use my freezer stuff up.

Hope everyone is all OK and using up their odds and ends :)

Cheers chums,

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Stratford-upon-Avon seems to be a popular destination this year! My DD2 and her partner are going for the next next week; you'll be there the following week and DH and I are going for a week in early July; followed by a week in the Lake District.

We have never been to either place before but looking forward to it.

I wish I could get the bargains you manage to get Jackie! I very rarely see anything worth bothering with. My local SM reduces stuff by 10 or 20p usually so I don't bother.

Denise
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have made a lemon tiramisu using limoncello to soak the ladies fingers a similar idea is a lemon charlotte again soak the fingers in limoncello although to get it to stand don't oversoak them. A sponge filled with lemon curd and cream or butter icing and sprinkle the cake with it. I've seem mini limoncello trifles in the supermarket I'm assuming they have soaked the base.

As you can see I also was once given a bottle :rotfl: and for a while every time I was asked to bring a dessert it contained it :D

I may unearth what's left of the bottle and try it over vanilla ice cream
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made scones for us to have on Saturday and used up a generous handful of rather wrinkled sultanas leftover from the 2016 Christmas cake :o The scones were delicious despite the age of the dried fruit and every one was eaten.
    Nothing thrown away this week, but I have chopped and frozen several peppers to use in cooking and on pizza topping (and the new freezer is slowly filling up.) I must stop buying bags of peppers thinking they are cheaper, because they are the one thing I regularly buy and throw out as we don’t use them all quickly enough. In future I will buy them individually for salads and USE the ones I have frozen for cooking!!
  • cornishchick
    cornishchick Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No posted for an age , hello guys
    I like to fill my peppers with a flavoured cream cheese , put back in the fridge to set, then slice them , I found this recipe on a low carb site, and I love it :) looks very pretty too.
    I had about two tables spoons of cauli mash left over from last night, I've added an egg, a spoon full of almond flour and some grated cheese so make kinda pancake things to have with some left over gammon from Sunday and salad .
    I always buy the baby leaf salad, any that then goes a bit wrinkly gets put in stir frie
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Everyone is having more success on the LFHW front than we are here :o

More foodstuffs being binned from shelves, freezer & fridge & hidden away in drawers :eek:

Looking forward to be being back on the LFHW bandwagon when I get home, although I think our first meal will be a takeaway so not very MSE :eek:

MrsSD

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rubber chicken week here :D - roast dinner on Sunday, cold slices with salad last night and stir-fry tonight. There are some breast slices for lunchtime sandwiches one day this week and the carcass is in the sc for stock that I'll use to make chicken noodle soup.

There was half a tin of mixed beans left in the fridge and I used them up on last night's salad by mixing them with a generous dollop of sweet chilli sauce. I love salads because you can use up all kinds of bits & bobs to fill up the plate. :)

I also had some fresh milk to use up but, because of the nice weather, didn't fancy rice pudding and we don't drink a lot of coffee either. A rootle in the cupboard produced 2 packets of Angel Delight and we plumped for the chocolate & mint flavour one, so milk taken care of and cool desserts for a couple of days.

At the weekend I defrosted a ys pack of pork sausages that had been in the freezer for quite some time and used the meat for sausage rolls. I added finely chopped onion and sage to one half of the meat and to the other some grated Cheddar cheese and the last scrapings of a jar of apple sauce (jar washed out and recycled). There was enough pastry left over to make two small quiches (one for now, one for the freezer) that I filled with cooking bacon bits, mushrooms, peppers and some sweetcorn.

Next week will be "live out of the freezer week" and heaven knows there's enough in there to go at! :o Apart from giving me a bit of freezer wriggle room, it will also mean I won't have to go shopping. I hate shopping (of any kind) so I can use the time saved for something I enjoy more. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rummaging through my freezer stash today I found at the bottom a frozen HUGE turkey leg so that will be defrosted next week and turned into turkey curries for several ready-meal type meals and retrurn to the freezer once cold to be eaten when I come back from my week's holiday :) It was y/s down to £1.00 and dated July 2017 and I am pretty sure once cooked I should get at least four meals out of it :):):) finding stuff at the back of the freezer is like finding treasure :):):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback