Poor Single Lady Debt Diary - Trying again

Options

Comments

• Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I buy bags maybe once a year - and my flat is tiny and I don't hoover as much as I should.
    The hoover is really good and a good brand. I had a cheap one and couldn't wait to bin it.
    But the bags are overpriced! Have been shopping around and might be able to get a cheaper alternative.

NSD Today

Took lunch to work
    Stuck to dinner plan
    Not going out
    Not internet shopping.
    Early night.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    spends £7.54
    Milk, cheese, carrots, bread,
    Grapes, crisps.

Home tonight. Bath and early night.
    Hoping for a quiet weekend but have plans Monday.

Then most of the bills including mortgage go out Tuesday. Next week ex Monday should be quiet.

Trying so so hard.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are doing so well. Enjoy your weekend
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey PSL - all sounds very good.
    I was wondering how you were doing overall with debt paydown - have you paid off your loan now?
  • coastalchick
    Options
    well done PSL and love the shopping lists!!!!

Hope you are relaxing a bit over the long weekend x
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Thank you lovely ladies.

I am trying so hard but it's not easy at all. I feel like all my friends are making my life so much harder. They just don't get it.

I don't know if other people have this experience but where I've been reducing drinking and reducing being social a lot of my friends have said that they will pay for dinner and I can get it another time.
    But obviously this is just another place where I will owe money so In their view this is super generous but in reality it just makes things harder and makes your journey more uphill.

they don't get that the priority is the mortgage and not the pub.

Sorry to be moany. I spent money yesterday and today

Charity sponsorship friend £10
    Lunch £4
    Pub £10

But tommorow could be NSD or at least low spend and Sunday should be low spend.
    Planned social on Monday but low alcohol and not too expensive.

Ramble the totals are not good. Which is kind of why I am tracking all the spending and being a bit mean to myself.

The loan is paid and I need to sort out the credit card situation.

I find it so hard looking at the totals, it's sort of overwhelming and then I start to kind of self destruct.

So I just stick to looking at my bank account and managing how I can and pay the minimums.
    It works better for me this way.

Home tonight.
    Watching Alley Mcbeal.
    Early night and book. Very MSE.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Havent seen Ally McBeal in ages :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    I get it PSL, it's very nice of friends to say that but then, like you say, you feel obligated. Could you maybe have them all round to yours one night (with everyone bringing a dish obvs!) and just have a very frank and honest conversation there and then with them all in the room. Maybe explain that you just can't afford the going out at the moment and are working hard at it so that things will change and then you will be able to afford it.

You might be able to agree with them that you all get together at someone's house each time. When I was poor as a church mouse living in london, my friend and I used to have "footballer' wives" nights (anyone remember that series?!) where we'd take it in turns to go to each other's houses to watch it, but host would supply pizza, wine, and ice cream. It was great as you'd just get a couple of cheap pizzas and a bottle, plus a tub (so £10-12) and have a fab night catching up.

Not sure if that would work for you guys (and obv would NOT be expecting you to be watching footballers wives - how sad were we?!) but might be worth considering. That way, you can keep your social group going, but cheaply, and you'd probably have better conversation than being out. Or do it with a book club or something x
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I love Alley Mcbeal. It swings from the ridiculous to the deeply sad and profound. I have the box set. It probably is a bit dated but it's very good!

I love the sound of your nights in Coastal. The problem is most of my money spending friends are in London so they wouldn't come all the way out to me unless there was some kind of big thing like a wedding or an emergency. It's just too far. But I like what you are saying.

My friends are all in different places, I'm not in a big girl group and I hardly have any school friends (and some of those are in London!). And I have told people honestly and frankly what the situation is but I know in my heart of hearts it's never going to be understood.

So I just do my best. And drinking less definately helps.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    NSD Today.

Felt very spendy and looking forward to April.

Sunday - small top up shop
    Monday- social
    Tuesday - take lunch in and food shop delivered
    Wednesday - take lunch in home after work
    Thursday - take lunch in home after work

Mon- bank hol
    Tues - most of the bills
    Then no direct debits until 9th.

Tying very very hard.

2018 plans - reduce debt