Official MSE Economy 7 Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Lulu58
    Lulu58 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your post, lstar337. We didn't want the worry of SSE finding out so we've been in touch with them and they are coming out to look at the meter. If the figures are transposed, SSE will recalculate and if the figures are in our favour, we will be reimbursed. If not, they eat the difference as its not our fault.

The day to day number of units are lower, along with the totals in terms of total of units on the day rate and total of units on the night rate for the meter readings, if that makes sense.

Can you, or anyone else, suggest how we can clarify what is using 30% of electricity at night? Also, how to actually work out whether we would be better off without E7 given that one site will suggest usage at 20% is the threshold, whilst another suggest 55%?
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good news you shouldn’t need to do anything. Under RMR regulation that came into force in March if you could save money by swapping onto a standard meter your supplier should tell you as part of the supplier cheapest deal messaging on your bill/annual statement/price increase letter/product closure letter.

However they will only tell you if you can save money swapping within your current suppliers portfolio. You can work out if you can save more money elsewhere by running a quote on a comparison site using your current details and the projected consumption per register shown in the ‘about your tariff’ section on your bill. Write down the estimated annual cost of the cheapest tariff, then run the same quote again but select you don’t have an EC7 meter and enter the total combination as the sum of you day and night consumption (taken from you bill projection), take down the estimated annual cost and if it’s cheaper than the one from the first quote then you can save money.

If you swap from an EC7 meter to a Std meter some suppliers will not actually require you have a physical meter exchange they can ‘totalise’ your tariff and you will keep a physical EC7 meter but be charged Std rates on both registers. Not all meter configurations can be totalised though, if you do need a physical meter exchange a few supplier won’t charge for a straight forward meter exchange, but expect to pay £50 if they do.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    Thanks, Bark01. I'll keep an eye on my statements to see if I am still on the cheapest deal with SSE. I'm hoping I can get any meter change, if required, done courtesy of SSE but that remains to be seen!

I've tried to do a comparison, but can't find any switching websites which include my current tariff so I can't get an accurate comparison. In your para 2, are you saying I don't need my tariff, just my consumption figures for the YTD?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Lulu58 wrote: »
    Can you, or anyone else, suggest how we can clarify what is using 30% of electricity at night? Also, how to actually work out whether we would be better off without E7 given that one site will suggest usage at 20% is the threshold, whilst another suggest 55%?

The clock on some older meters can be slow, and even if not slow, in summer the cheap rate lasts until 08:30 in some areas.

Do you have an electric shower? heat water with an immersion heater? Appliances on a timer and used overnight? If you do and get up early! it is easy to use 30% on off-peak rate.

It is easy to work out if you are better off on E7 by using a comparison website. This site gives you the facility to quickly alter the percentage on off-peak.

http://www.energyhelpline.com/
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lulu58 wrote: »
    I've tried to do a comparison, but can't find any switching websites which include my current tariff so I can't get an accurate comparison. In your para 2, are you saying I don't need my tariff, just my consumption figures for the YTD?

Hmmm… if your current tariff isn’t on comparison sites there then it would suggest you are on a legacy meter type and not a normal EC7 or possibly a restricted entry tariff like a social tariff. What is the name of your tariff?

Your annual statement/bill should contain a projection for the next year so you should already have that figure. Just note that if your tariff is coming to an end within the next 365 days then part of the figure will be based on your suppliers standard tariff.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bark01 wrote: »
    Hmmm… if your current tariff isn’t on comparison sites there then it would suggest you are on a legacy meter type and not a normal EC7 or possibly a restricted entry tariff like a social tariff. What is the name of your tariff?
    SSE (Southern Electric), Fix & Save Sep 2014
  • Lulu58
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The clock on some older meters can be slow, and even if not slow, in summer the cheap rate lasts until 08:30 in some areas.

Do you have an electric shower? heat water with an immersion heater? Appliances on a timer and used overnight? If you do and get up early! it is easy to use 30% on off-peak rate.

http://www.energyhelpline.com/

Thanks, Cardew. SSE have advised that the clock adjusts for summer so it should still be 12.30-7.30.

We have an electric shower but tend to use that after 7.30am most days. No appliances are on timers other than the washing machine but, apart from occasional washes before 7.30am, most of our washes are day time.

It's a complete mystery, and a worry, what electricity is being used between 12.30 and 7.30 so if anyone knows a way of trying to find out what is being used please let me know.
  • Lulu58
    Options
    Bark01 wrote: »

Your annual statement/bill should contain a projection for the next year so you should already have that figure. Just note that if your tariff is coming to an end within the next 365 days then part of the figure will be based on your suppliers standard tariff.

Hi Bark01, my meter looks fairly modern (Ampy Single Phase Watt Meter, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPY-Polyphase-electric-meter-three-phase-supply-5192-/121356998075?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1c4170d5bb). I'm not aware of it being a restricted entry tariff, but can't be sure.

As lstar337 mentioned, my tariff is SSE (Southern Electric), Fix & Save Sep 2014.

My statement does give a projection and a cost, but I haven't been with SSE a full year yet. I have my own figures of usage, costs etc but they don't seem to be worth much if I can't compare providers against SSE, or am I missing a trick here?

I've noticed when I look at the comparison websites I get an xx days at your existing (non existent!) tariff and xx at the remainder of time. It's very confusing.
  • happydays_:0
    Options
    I have recently changed my energy supplier to OVO who so far have been brilliant but I received an email to say that I signed up to the standard meter rate when actually I have a Econmoy 7 meter, they then offered me the Econmy 7 rates instead, but on checking my usage with them iIam better off to stay on the standard meter rate which they will honour for the next year, however, if I want my meter changing they have informed me there is a cost to do this most other companies do it for free so I wish OVO would offer this too, other than this they seem to be a very good company giving you control over your engery.

'Whenit comes to your renewal in 2015 you willautomatically roll onto an Economy 7 Variable rate. If you choose to Fix againyou can request the Standard rates or the Economy 7 rates.

Ifyou no longer want to have an economy 7 meter and would like a standard meterwe will need to book you in for a meter exchange, this does come at a charge of£57.75. Please contact our customer service department for a booking 10 workingdays in advance.'

• KW7
    KW7 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi! It would be useful to add a link to the Economy 7 Guide in the energy saving club (unless it's there and I missed it). I've just moved house and don't know how much energy I will use, but this guide would have been useful to read to decide whether to continue with Economy 7 or not (though not sure the energy club has a search that allows a switch?)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback