Should I join the VW Class action - Slater & Gordon - January 2017

Options

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why should you sue VW?

Why should owners benefit from compensation for environmental damage. I live on a busy road in a city. This is likely to have damaged my health more than the average VW owner. Where's my compensation?

Good point there, So every VW owner who has not done the fix should be sued for damaging the enviroment and made to pay the increased revenue, backdated to when the vehicle was new.

And then pay victim surcharge of £1 per mile, and every mile the vehicle has covered, again since new.

You have financially lost ZERO pence never mind any £'s. So what are you claiming for?

In the US its a different story because the cars will fail the SMOG test without the cheat. We dont test the emissions on a diesel its a SMOKE TEST ONLY!
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• smipx013
    smipx013 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why should you sue VW?

Although we think the compensation per vehicle will be modest, we’re keen to highlight not only the fraud you’ve suffered, but also the damage to the environment your vehicles have unlawfully caused. We’re also determined to hold accountable a multinational corporate giant who has seen fit to lie and cheat its way to greater profitability at your expense.

Why should owners benefit from compensation for environmental damage. I live on a busy road in a city. This is likely to have damaged my health more than the average VW owner. Where's my compensation?
    Why don't you take out your own class action to sue them for that then :-) You can then give the money to Greenpeace.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There isn't mutual exclusivity between wanting to purchase something that is of benefit to yourself whilst also being considerate towards the environment. Yes, I wanted a car that was good on fuel consumption and the other things you mention, but environmental impact was also a big factor, as it is with many choices I make in my day to day life.

Clearly compensation would be for my own benefit but that doesn't detract from why I made my purchasing decisions in the first place.

So what has changed? Its the same car as you bought and its still doing the same MPG that it ever has for you, so why should you personally be compensated for the perceived impact on the environment of your car?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Why should you sue VW?

Although we think the compensation per vehicle will be modest, we’re keen to highlight not only the fraud you’ve suffered, but also the damage to the environment your vehicles have unlawfully caused. We’re also determined to hold accountable a multinational corporate giant who has seen fit to lie and cheat its way to greater profitability at your expense.

So what's this ? An ethical law company who are opposed to profit generation (well looking at their share position maybe they are given they made a loss greater than their turnover last year :rotfl:)

https://www.slatergordon.com.au/investors/shareholder-information
  • welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't mutual exclusivity between wanting to purchase something that is of benefit to yourself whilst also being considerate towards the environment. Yes, I wanted a car that was good on fuel consumption and the other things you mention, but environmental impact was also a big factor, as it is with many choices I make in my day to day life.

Clearly compensation would be for my own benefit but that doesn't detract from why I made my purchasing decisions in the first place.

The environmental impact of your car was such a big factor that you've waiting well over a year to even book your car in for the fix....;)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    welfayre wrote: »
    The environmental impact of your car was such a big factor that you've waiting well over a year to even book your car in for the fix....;)
    To be fair they wait until the dealer contacts them.
  • welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    To be fair they wait until the dealer contacts them.

Exactly, if the environmental aspect was an actual concern they would contact the dealer.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    welfayre wrote: »
    Exactly, if the environmental aspect was an actual concern they would contact the dealer.
    Your missing the point, the customers don't get a choice as to when they can get their cars in for a fix, they have to wait their turn!
  • Headancer
    Headancer Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Just as an aside I had re fix and im convinced I've lost about 10% on fuel consumption .

Has anybody else had similar issues ?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you're concerned about the environment, don't buy a new car, especially a diesel. An estimated 70% of the environmental cost of a car is in its manufacture, and lifetime emissions and disposal account for the rest. If you want to help the environment, buy a 15-year-old Nissan Micra. Most of the environmental cost of the car is in the past, and with care it will last you a good few years before you need to get another.

Or, as others have said, get a bicycle and burn fat not oil.

:)
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure