Finding marriage date of wedding in Thailand

Options
Does anyone know how I can find out how to find the date ( certificate would be great ) of a wedding that happened in Thailand to a Thai lady and a British man? They are living here now although the man has now died. It's really important and I don't know the district and only the year in which they got married. Is there any way of finding it out here as they have been living here a while so wonder if I can find it out here as contacting Thailand has not been very successful in our search?

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes people married overseas lodge their marriage certificate with the general register office in the UK so the certificate can be viewed. Do you know where the lady lived? Would make sense to ask in the district in which she lived.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Moogles444 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can find out how to find the date ( certificate would be great ) of a wedding that happened in Thailand to a Thai lady and a British man?

Doesn't she remember when and where she got married?
  • Moogles444
    Moogles444 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No I unfortunately don't know the district that she lived. I will try the uk one. They would have got child benefit. Can't think how to get the date and it's so frustrating
    Thank you for that suggestion
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do any digital photos from the day exist? Or did it pre-date digital cameras? There may be EXIF data that could help.
  • Moogles444
    Options
    No there is only one photo and it's a professional one and has no date on it as just checked. Good thought though
  • Moogles444
    Options
    She won't be forthcoming with that i dont think as she's trying to do something really awful and this may help towards stopping her
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 8:42PM
    Options
    If desperate I'm sure you could hire a Thai private investigator online for a relatively reasonable sum. Provided you've got some basic information I would expect finding a marriage date would be a fairly straight forward task for such a person.

I'd be a bit careful though. I'm assuming what she is doing is not illegal otherwise you'd have gone to the police. Based on your lack of knowledge about the couple you don't appear to have known them, or at least her, particularly well. I'd question the wisdom and indeed morality of getting too involved in the private affairs of somebody you don't really know. Just my two cents.
  • Moogles444
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    If desperate I'm sure you could hire a Thai private investigator online for a relatively reasonable sum. Provided you've got some basic information I would expect finding a marriage date would be a fairly straight forward task for such a person.

I'd be a bit careful though. I'm assuming what she is doing is not illegal otherwise you'd have gone to the police. Based on your lack of knowledge about the couple you don't appear to have known them, or at least her, particularly well. I'd question the wisdom and indeed morality of getting too involved in the private affairs of somebody you don't really know. Just my two cents.
    Thank you. I may go down that route but worried I'd get ripped off and end up with nothing. The awful thing she's trying to do affects me personally and is really bad. I knew the deceased well but sadly can't ask him for the date of the marriage .
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes people married overseas lodge their marriage certificate with the general register office in the UK so the certificate can be viewed. Do you know where the lady lived? Would make sense to ask in the district in which she lived.

That hasn't been an option for a very long time .... foreign marriages do not get registered in any way in this country.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure