Finding marriage date of wedding in Thailand

Options

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP I am sorry this has happened you you, and admire you for standing up for what should be yours, I think more people should do this in cases like yours rather just accept that at the will is final. At least you know you will have tried.

It is clear your father did not cut you out of his will as you were left something, nobody knows what he was thinking but maybe he just 'forgot' to mention about the house you are living in, as in his mind he had already given it too you (although not legally).

I wish you luck.

No inheritance SHOULD be anyone's though. Why SHOULD it belong to the op.

Maybe her dad did forget, but then it's her dads fault, not the new wife. What if he left it to the op and the wife thought he had 'forgot' to leave it to her.

All we know is he DID provide for the op in a will. Just not what the op expected or was told. Sadly her dad has died so she can't ask why he changed his mind. But he did.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Moogles444
    Moogles444 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    74jax wrote: »

Maybe her dad did forget, but then it's her dads fault, not the new wife. What if he left it to the op and the wife thought he had 'forgot' to leave it to her.

All we know is he DID provide for the op in a will. Just not what the op expected or was told. Sadly her dad has died so she can't ask why he changed his mind. But he did.

I agree but look up "proprietary estoppel" - you cant mislead people into spending £40000 on a property and losing out on them buying their own property by pursusading them on a guarantee of it being theirs to move to that property and then say no I've changed my mind at the end .
    It's all based on a lot of proof of all this happening
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    74jax wrote: »

Because they are currently living in the house, a house which had a agreement/contract with that they would live it in and pay to get it up to a livable standard on the basis they would inherit it when the time comes. I am always reading on here that a verbal contact is binding, that is what the OP had with their father.

We are not talking about a money grabbing person who wants all they can get, just the home she they lived in for the last 40 years. As I understand it no other part of the will is being contested and whats left still leaves plenty of provision for the wife.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Moogles444 wrote: »
    I agree but look up "proprietary estoppel" - you cant mislead people into spending £40000 on a property and losing out on them buying their own property by pursusading them on a guarantee of it being theirs to move to that property and then say no I've changed my mind at the end .
    It's all based on a lot of proof of all this happening

I've just looked it up, it seems like you could end up with a really big legal bill for pursuing that.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    The OP has mentioned the £40k spent on repairs several times but at no time has she mentioned rent. Though the sum spent on updating the property sounds large it would be a bargain compared to paying market rate rent for several decades. The OP should have sizeable savings by now if she and her family have been living cheaply for such a prolonged period.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    The OP has mentioned the £40k spent on repairs several times but at no time has she mentioned rent. Though the sum spent on updating the property sounds large it would be a bargain compared to paying market rate rent for several decades. The OP should have sizeable savings by now if she and her family have been living cheaply for such a prolonged period.

She had planned to buy her own house though, and didn't because of the promises about this one, so wouldn't have been paying rent but would have had an asset that would have gained value/equity over the years.
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    Not that it helps the OP at all, but this type of scenario is more common than people think. Mate of mine is quite a bit older than I am. He visited Thailand with me a few years back, got hooked on the place, and the women. To the extent that he came home after our trip and was hell bent on getting back over there - put his house on the market to fund it. Ideas of grandeur of living over there with the sale proceeds. Needless to say, that didn't end well. Sold at 40k below asking to get some money and he blew the lot in less than a year, then had to come back to England.

The relationship your dad had with his wife was probably always going to end this way - my mate still sends money over to various women and tries to get back there when he can. He would literally go without to make them happy. I just don't get it myself, beautiful country and lots of beautiful people - but they're not all nice (same as the whole world over, not specific to Thai people!).

I hope you get sorted, as married or not, there isn't any thing nice about you investing 40k into a house for someone you don't know to take it all away. Best of luck.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the onus then on the wife to produce a marriage certificate as proof she was married?
    Maybe she did, OP just looking at desperate ways to contest the will.

Of course it seems unfair from an emotional basis but really, the person being unfair is is the father as he should have said something about changing his will.

We know cases like these going to court could end up in many ways but the one thing they often have in common, is the sum the solicitors pocket themselves from them with those winning rarely getting all they'd hope for once the bills are paid.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    She had planned to buy her own house though, and didn't because of the promises about this one, so wouldn't have been paying rent but would have had an asset that would have gained value/equity over the years.

So why didn't she ask her father to transfer the property to her during his lifetime? This is a man who, according to the OP, had such control over her mother that he didn't allow her to write her own will and who remarried twice and went on to have a further child. Alarm bells should have been ringing a very long time ago.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    have you applied to the Probate Office for a copy of the will?

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport