PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 10:29AM
    Options
    I tend to think it's okay to change into a nightdress and dressing gown early of an evening if not expecting to have company....
    But what to wear the rest of an at-home day is more problematic.
    I've got a selection of shabby/large T shirts and loose leggings to doss around the house in - it saves washing "proper clothes", which I only put on if I'm leaving the house.

In the main, any time of night/day, I wouldn't want anybody knocking on my door as I'm usually just in an over-sized T shirt and thong. No point wearing/wearing out/dirtying "proper clothes" just to sit around the house!

For the summer I've a couple of oversized dresses I pull on, that cost about £2 at a charity shop. Big loose dresses, knee-length, for those really hot days! I bought them specifically for "summer dossing". They're that "thin, crinkle-like" material, so easy to wash and dry too.

For food, I'm tempted to do a sausage roll run .... but I shouldn't really as I have plenty of "food" I can dig out of the cupboard - and should dig out really.

The curry I made the other day needs splitting into two portions and freezing I think now, I really don't fancy it today at all... so I'll freeze that, later.

I've got things I'd like to cook, but I never get round to them as they need additional/main ingredients, so I'd have to specifically get those .... and there's always "food" already in the house, so it doesn't happen.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm back from the Drs, I am very grateful for free prescriptions in Scotland as I dread to think what this little lot would have cost:eek:
    • Anti viral tablets
    • Anti viral nasal spray
    • Antibiotic nasal cream
    • Anti viral eye drops
    • Antibiotic eye cream
    Hopefully this little lot will stop it in it's tracks as unfortunately the Dr thinks it's gone into my tear duct as well as the outbreak up my nose:cool:

Breakfast was a quick slice of toast with some lovely Greek bitter orange marmalade made by my son's gf's Mum with bitter oranges from their own tree. As well as a massive garden they share a grove with a neighbour and grow their own olives and citrus fruit. I am seriously envious.....;)

Lunch will be a re-run of yesterday and will use up the remaining soup. For tonight I've defrosted a small tub of piri piri pork which I was going to have in a crusty roll but I think I'll have one of the spuds I baked earlier in the week. I'll make some coleslaw and nuke a corn cobette to have with that:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The salmon fillet was in the OK category, OK for YS, not OK if full price. There were two in the pack, I cooked both and now have a LO fillet, curse of CFO again

I don't think it's salmon related but my tum & sniffles have returned, so staying in, don't want to be too far from "facilities":o

No breakfast except pot of tea, giving tum a rest, but a bit peckish now, not sure what I could nibble. I think one of PN's sausage rolls would be just the ticket if I had any

Probably have some toast later

I've got one suit for weddings, funerals and anything else requiring booted & suited. Otherwise it is always Asda £10 jeans & T or Polo type shirts from anywhere I spot them, or given as presents from relatives forlornly trying to smarten me up;)

Dinner, no idea, tum dependent at the moment
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ended up going with 2 of the spuds from my 2.5Kg bag, last of the tin of beans I opened the other day and some grated cheddar.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Chips and beans for tea. Quick/easy/cheap. Done.

There is nothing quite like that for a delicious and easy meal.
    caronc wrote: »

Breakfast was a quick slice of toast with some lovely Greek bitter orange marmalade made by my son's gf's Mum with bitter oranges from their own tree. As well as a massive garden they share a grove with a neighbour and grow their own olives and citrus fruit. I am seriously envious.....;)

Sounds lovely!:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is Wednesday not overly sweet which is just how I like it:D

That's a shame Farway that your tummy/sniffles have returned hopefully a quiet day will sort them out!

Spuds & beans PN, I used to love that for lunch from the work's canteen on cold days if I hadn't brought lunch from home. :)

I randomly remembered that I had stored a large begonia bulb in a pot of dry compost over the winter. It seems to have survived so I've repotted it. It had the most beautiful, blowsy deep salmon pink flowers so o fingers crossed it will grow again this year:). It's lovely outside if you are out of the wind so after my lunch & nap I'm heading outside as the forecast isn't great for tomorrow.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 1:49PM
    Options
    One advantage of the poor stock control in the local Co-op is that they are always reducing items which got to their use by date. Today I got 4 pork loin steaks for the princely sum of £1.50. Three of them will go straight in the freezer ;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    Caron - sorry you've got this other problem on top of your "Basic" Health Problem stuff you have to cope with. Hopefully that one shouldnt last long. Thankfully the free prescriptions help. Same in this part of the country - and I remember commenting to a doctor that gave me one of the couple I've had since moving here "Oh well - at least it's free - now I'm over 60" and her response back was "It's free anyway - as they all are in Wales". I can never understand that one myself - as I do personally feel there should be an element of "Those that can afford to pay - do pay".

Thankfully there is the fallback position of "Those that can't afford to pay - but are living elsewhere in the country" can get a "season ticket" type prescription. Anyways - thankfully you've got what you need and hopefully all will be "sorted" soon and back to normal in that respect at any rate.:)

I remember a friend of mine some time back saying "What people don't realise is that I also get 'other' health problems on top of the Basic One". I saw her point.....

Lunch today - hasn't happened:cool:. It's one of "Those Days" today and an incident this morning has got me feeling absolutely livid - so lunch was a liquid lunch and I bought a "get out of jail free card" (aka chance of winning a fair bit of money - so I could sell this house and move back). Yep - one of Those Days....

So I've had a bottle of beer/don't think the exercising is going to happen today somehows:o/will get some music on and probably land up bursting in tears in a minute.

Trying to sit here firmly and "Count my blessings". Right:
    - own my own detached house (mortgage-free)
    - don't have to do a job for my income any longer (thankthelawd on that one Big Time)
    - not got any major health problems
    - not got any major "personal" problems (ie I'm "conventional" enough that that's not an issue for me....)
    - (keeps counting........:cool:)

Still thinking "I wouldn't mind a bit of Comfort Eating - as well as Comfort Booze - some clotted cream with summat/anything or a nice big chunk of cheese". You can tell what my definition of Comfort Eating is...
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aww money sending you a big hug x

PN, I could just eat chips and beans now, not had that for years, even better with fish fingers and ketchup.
    Thought to myself I'll have that tomorrow then realised it's curry Friday with dgson. Maybe Saturday!
    Caronc and Farway I hope your soon feeling better x
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been a bit down and tearful lately, the grief tends to ebb and flow. I've eaten though the butternut squash curry was delicious, I'm still working through the scones and cream.
    I've got salmon for tea today probably with chips now after PN s post! I'll pop a bit of veg on the side. Maybe add some tartare sauce.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback