PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farway, I'm sure you could substitute shallots/spring onions/a small amount of onion for the leeks, and a bit of dry sherry for the vermouth.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been as though winter has returned so apart from a trip to the bin I've not been out!
    Lurking bag of parsnips were turned into a pot of soup so some of that was had for lunch along with a roll with one of the remaining patties sliced and tomato.
    Apart from making soup and putting away the grocery order I've had a very peaceful day, as usual the stormy weather has upset my balance so I was content to snuggle up with my book this afternoon.:)

Just need to decide on veg to have with the lasagne and dinner is sorted out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have not much idea for today, just had simple spelt toast and pb for breakfast and have berries and apple out of the freezer. The celery/cashew soup is nice but I don`t want any more bread, it will do fine for starters

I want fish today and simple veg and I want to go to the allotment but it has poured all night
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up early, thinking about "things" so decided to get up & get on with them

Pot of tea, porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt for breakfast.
    I'm now starting for real on my HM yoghurt using Greek starter from Sainsbob's, I still find it hard to believe it is HM, so thick & creamy without fiddling about

Raining when I got up, but sun now out as rain belt moves Oop North, which from my location includes everywhere upwards from M25

However I have to stay in because I'm due a parcel which needs a signature. It is coming via Royal Mail, and according to tracking was in Southampton at 0430 this morning, so def delivery today
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Farway, I'm sure you could substitute shallots/spring onions/a small amount of onion for the leeks, and a bit of dry sherry for the vermouth.

Thanks, shallots I've got, but booze is in the biscuits & cake category. None in the house or it gets swallowed / eaten.

I'm going to have another recipe search around later because the salmon is scheduled for tonight's dinner. It could finish up wrapped in foil & baked with butter, with salad, and if I can find a suitable one in my bag of spud, baked spud

Time for a cup of coffee, back later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up early, thinking about "things" so decided to get up & get on with them

Pot of tea, porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt for breakfast.
    I'm now starting for real on my HM yoghurt using Greek starter from Sainsbob's, I still find it hard to believe it is HM, so thick & creamy without fiddling about

Raining when I got up, but sun now out as rain belt moves Oop North, which from my location includes everywhere upwards from M25

However I have to stay in because I'm due a parcel which needs a signature. It is coming via Royal Mail, and according to tracking was in Southampton at 0430 this morning, so def delivery today
    bouicca21 wrote: »

Thanks, shallots I've got, but booze is in the biscuits & cake category. None in the house or it gets swallowed / eaten.

I'm going to have another recipe search around later because the salmon is scheduled for tonight's dinner. It could finish up wrapped in foil & baked with butter, with salad, and if I can find a suitable one in my bag of spud, baked spud

Time for a cup of coffee, back later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I`ve decided that I need to get using more store cupboard stuff, so sardines it is but these are large and luscious in a tin, half today and half for breakfast tomorrow, I kid you not. Added to rice/quinoa/amaranth pasta, olives, small tomatoes, frozen peas and I think I will add finely chopped mushrooms when pasta is done. If I don`t make an effort to use, then they will go ood

Its grim out, I just put brassica, lettuce, beetroot seedlings out to get some rain, I think it will be gentle rain for a bit. Local radio on, otherwise it is silence, I like local radio, 80s music today and local cheery chat
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Still dull here but not as cold and miserable as yesterday.
    I'm back to the Drs late morning for review so will just potter indoors until then. If it's dry later I hope to get a wee bit more done outdoors.
    Lunch will be some of the soup I made yesterday with a mini pork pie and salad. For tonight I've defrosted a portion of spiced chicken & lentils which I'll have with mushrooms & red pepper and a greek pitta.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farway, as long as you butter the foil well, it will work without liquid.

But let this be a lesson to you. It is compulsory for CFOs to have a bottle of cheapish dry sherry (actually I go in for manzanilla) in the fridge for cooking and/or offering to the not quite teetotal at Christmas. Plus slurping oneself whilst puzzling over a recipe written in American.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Grins at the thought of interpreting a recipe written in American:rotfl:.

I translate through these days instantly - but the one thing I've not quite got up to speed on is which of my set of cup measures is American and which is British and have a tendency to use my favourite set (bought in Aldi - so presumably British measurements). I don't suppose it matters unduly - as it will be the proportions that are the main thing.

Oven temperature - well, as far as I can see, everything but everything gets cooked at 180C basically in an electric fan oven.

I prefer cooking with cup and spoon measurements actually - as I think it's less hassle. But I'll chop and change with the recipe and use whichever set of measurements it comes in.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use recipes as "ideas for what I fancy", look at the photo, think about what I've got and then toss what I've got into something I was reminded of.

Recipes always contain 73 ingredients I don't have, so they're just reminders/ideas of food.

Today for lunch I'll be having a parsnip bubble/squeak, baked beans and a poached egg. Because I made the B/S about a month ago and not touched it yet, so I thought I'd toss it onto a plate with beans and an egg as that's easy and I've got eggs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback