Feedback on Utility Point

Options

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Mine also is going up by £4

But I'm in credit by around 10 times my monthly payment already...

Don't really mind about the £4 as such, but clearly unnecessary. I'm only with them for electric, heating is by gas, so my electric use doesn't really go up much in winter.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2018 at 6:09PM
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    Mine also is going up by £4

But I'm in credit by around 10 times my monthly payment already...

Don't really mind about the £4 as such, but clearly unnecessary. I'm only with them for electric, heating is by gas, so my electric use doesn't really go up much in winter.

How can you be in credit by 10x the agreed monthly payment?
    How many months have you been with this supplier?
    As the OP of this thread was in January 2018. I think it's probably safe to assume that was roughly when the supplier first made their offerings public.
    (A link near the start of this thread indicates December 2017)

Or is the credit accrued via referral credits. etc?
    In which case I would urge you to ask them be repaid as a matter of urgency in accordance with term 8.1.1
    8.1.1. Our Refund Policy will apply which can be found at Utility Point.co.uk.
    Again, I'm not sure it is on their website ;)
    I can't find it.

I also don't know if such referral credits would be paid by a new supplier, in the event UP ceases trading.
  • bxboards
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    How can you be in credit by 10x the agreed monthly payment?
    How many months have you been with this supplier?
    As the OP of this thread was in January 2018. I think it's probably safe to assume that was roughly when the supplier first made their offerings public.

I'm on their wk04 18 month fix offering - I joined before any talk here, I get the impression I was one of their first customers too be honest.

My DD has always comfortably covered my usage, and I end up with around 25 to 40% less usage than the monthly DD.

Plus several referrals in the thread here.
  • IBW1
    Options
    Quick update on my previous post re: my DD being increased without notice, similar to other people's experience. After leaving an irate voicemail on UP's system I got an apologetic phone call and an agreement to restore the DD to what it was. The explanation was that UP were basing my projected usage on "industry data" whereas a quick glance at my actual usage told them there was no problem. They also agree that their method of communicating this change to customers left something to be desired. Will see what happens when the DD is taken next week but we seem to be back to normal.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2018 at 8:58AM
    Options
    IBW1 wrote: »
    Quick update on my previous post re: my DD being increased without notice, similar to other people's experience. After leaving an irate voicemail on UP's system I got an apologetic phone call and an agreement to restore the DD to what it was. The explanation was that UP were basing my projected usage on "industry data" whereas a quick glance at my actual usage told them there was no problem. They also agree that their method of communicating this change to customers left something to be desired. Will see what happens when the DD is taken next week but we seem to be back to normal.

Thanks for this update:

Did you get anything in writing from UP to rescind the notification you were sent in writing that indicated you would need to pay more by DD?

Have you checked your UP online account? They seemed very quick to up the DD payment expected on there; hopefully they are just as quick to restore it where restoration has been agreed :)

The issue I have, is a statement they generated for me on 06/09/2018 actually indicated that, presumably based on the same "industry data" they refer to, they actually were predicting a LOWER usage than I originally advised them of.
    I don't agree with their lower prediction, so don't look for my payment to be lowered from that originally agreed ... but I think that rules out that arguement for raising the payment too.
  • bxboards
    Options
    Seems a bit odd to use 'industry data' when we give readings each month.

My usage dashboard shows a downward curve in usage from March through to now, I'm already in credit, yet my monthly DD is going up.

I'm not complaining, life is too short to worry about 4 quid a month, but something doesn't look right with how they are using our readings, and why they seem to prefer to use 'industry data'.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So what do we have so far here?

1. A new supplier that has recently entered the market
    2. Generally low priced tariffs
    3. A sudden 'review' of monthly payments resulting in many customers facing increases with no proper explanation/justification.
    4. Presumably a huge increase in complaints due to the above
    5. Long waiting times on the phone, and no access at all at weekends
    6. Slow response to emailed complaints

Sound familiar?

All we need now is for them to also collect extra, one off payments via Direct Debit and they will have Full House!
    With their existing terms stating accounts must not go into debit, and winter approaching, I suspect that may not be too long away either.

How long willl it be before the Regulator steps in on this one, I wonder?
  • bxboards
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    4. Presumably a huge increase in complaints due to the above
    5. Long waiting times on the phone, and no access at all at weekends
    6. Slow response to emailed complaints

Sound familiar?

I may be a little laisse-faire about this, but I can't really see the point in complaining about this.

Otherwise what you say could end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy....

If they go under and you are moved to a different supplier, you can be sure your new bills with a new supplier on a less competitive tariff - ergo it's likely you'll be paying more a month overall in DDs, not less.

So I'd advise people to engage brains before firing off complaints.
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I get my monthly bills, they are to the figures I have entered.

Not had the issue of lack of response and not had the issue of the £4 a month increase. However, we are taking about £4 a month - which in the grand scale of things, is not a bank breaker to most people.

Enjoy your low tariffs. If it starts to get silly, then it is a different thing, but at the moment, this is not an IRESA.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 September 2018 at 9:20AM
    Options
    I may be a little laisse-faire about this, but I can't really see the point in complaining about this....
    Couldn't agree more.... .

I'm not complaining, I'm simply stating the facts as they appear to be, and indicating similarilties to another energy provider which decided to close up shop.

Yes I agree, if Utility Point do go under, customers will be moved/forced to another supplier under Ofgem's SoLR scheme.
    That may indeed mean a new tariff and higher prices, so that would be the time to ditch & switch if appropriate.

Of course you two may have some potential conflict of interest here. One of you has boasted in this thread of the money you claim to have earned from referrals, and the other started the referral thread. :cool:
    So I'd advise people to engage brains before firing off complaints.
    I'd certainly agree about your advice for people to engage their brains.
    For anyone thinking of joining the supplier, please do your own research.
    The recent posts ghere are a good start, and bxboards has correctly identified what wiull happen Utility Point cease trading.

I don't think anyone discussing the current unsavoury actions of Utility Point here or on any other social medai site will influenece tge ongoing vioabilty of Utility Point as an energy supplier - that is surely down to Utility Point themselves.

As for firing off complaints due to unfair & unjustified amounts being requested monthly by Energy Suppliers via monthly direct debit payments, that is exactly what MSE advocate.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure