Why do people buy expensive cars?

Options

Comments

• kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Which Xbox button wrings it's neck, X or O?
    Those are Playstation buttons not Xbox ones!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agrinnall -

More in the mire if they're renting and usually on a modest income, people usually get placed by the council in the first place if affordability was an issue and if you buy, they are cheaper, so again money is a factor

On the continent, owning your own home is less of an aim in life. Far more people rent rather than buy. Why inflict your value judgements on others?

I drive a Mercedes E class because I do a lot miles and have sat in the passenger seat of an 06 plate Golf and found it gave me back ache on a long drive. I bought it second hand as I'm not fussed on brand new. Am looking around at a new car, am not a badge snob, just looking at something I can sit in for 3-4 hours without having to see a chiropractor afterwards. You could go for a lesser make but to spec up to get the same features, you could spend almost as much as a premium marque without the residual values of a premium marque. Look at the Vignale range on Ford. You can buy a Merc or similar for about the same amount.

Expensive cars aren't always poor value for money just as cheap cars aren't always good value for money. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree about seats, I once ditched a perfectly good Vauxhall Cavalier for a Carlton simply because of getting a crick in the back, what does me in is soft seats.

As it happens I rented a fancy newish diesel VW Golf on holiday some years ago and the seats were of the soft variety, not totally happy with that either and wouldn't buy one.

My and OH's current cheap as chips small cars give me no back problems, but maybe smaller cars with noisier cabins encourage you to take more leg-stretching breaks on a long drive.
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    On the continent, owning your own home is less of an aim in life. Far more people rent rather than buy. Why inflict your value judgements on others?
    The UK is now in the bottom 4 in the league of home ownership, but that's compared to many countries where houses are passed down the generations. Currently, only Denmark, Germany and Lithuania have lower rates.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/31/britain-falls-behind-most-of-europe-for-home-ownership/

I'd love to know what it is in Switzerland though, because the cheapest apartment currently available in my village of 13k people is £ 1,340,538 and the cheapest house is £ 2,539,000 :eek:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2017 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Blue264 wrote: »

I'd love to know what it is in Switzerland though, because the cheapest apartment currently available in my village of 13k people is £ 1,340,538 and the cheapest house is £ 2,539,000 :eek:

Here you go, 37.4% according to this article.

http://lenews.ch/2016/10/12/swiss-fact-switzerland-has-one-of-the-worlds-lowest-home-ownership-rates/

PS That must mean the OP would think that 62.6% of the Swiss population are 'in the mire'!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Or when your at the petrol station putting £70 worth of fuel into your daily barge and some guy rolls up in a £80'000 car, putting only the bare minimum fuel into it (about £3 at most places).... Says a lot really.

Oh get over yourself. Seriously.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    On multiple occasions.... Why?

And did they mind you standing that close to them and watched how much fuel they put in their car?

Your life must be fairly dull.....
  • motorguy
    Options
    I don't understand why people buy cars which they know aren't likely to be either the cheapest to run, or safest? What's the point in a car that's so powerful it's dangerous and expensive to fuel and insure, or with rare parts? What don't we all drive corsas and fiestas? People carriers i could understand for large families, or a land rover if you need to pull a heavy trailor on a farm, but not for the school run.

I don't think it impresses anyone, nobody really cares how anyone gets around, and "brand new" just translates to me into willing to pay a premium to drive off the forecourt. Expensive cars are highly vulnerable to vandalism too as well as depreciation

Because we want to, we can, and we can afford it.

As my wife says though - any car she buys she does so because it impresses her. If it happens to !!!! people off then thats just an added bonus. :cool:
  • motorguy
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I spent a lot of money on my house but not a lot on my cars. I remember walking round my house thinking
    Detached - We can make as much noise as we want
    Large drive for loads of cars
    Each child large bedroom
    Plenty of bathrooms - no waiting for others
    Multiple lounging areas if you don't like what's on TV move to another.
    The house improved my standard of living.
    If we go to a prestige car dealers I don't have the same feeling. There's no advantage I can see.
    Later on I realised the more you spend on property the more you gain in the long term. The more you spend on cars the more you lose.

I agree on the house front. I do love a nice house. We were fortunate enough to be able to build our own several years ago to our own design and spec, which was great to do.

We've spent a fair bit over the years on nice cars, and we're kind of "in" to cars which doesnt help. Going through a performance car phase, so we've a 376BHP Mercedes AMG A45 (though getting it modded soon to 430BHP), a Porsche Boxster (just for fun) and a modded Volvo T5 which - according to my wife - goes well but corners like a big gay boat. :p

Selling the Porsche at the min, had it nearly a year and i think i'll get a little more than i paid for it. The T5 is near the bottom of its depreciation curve anyway. The A45 is probably depreciating like snow dropping off a ditch, but we'll see how it all bottoms out when we change it down the line at some point.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mercdriver -
    .On the continent, owning your own home is less of an aim in life. Far more people rent rather than buy. Why inflict your value judgements on others?

I drive a Mercedes E class because I do a lot miles and have sat in the passenger seat of an 06 plate Golf and found it gave me back ache on a long drive. I bought it second hand as I'm not fussed on brand new. Am looking around at a new car, am not a badge snob, just looking at something I can sit in for 3-4 hours without having to see a chiropractor afterwards. You could go for a lesser make but to spec up to get the same features, you could spend almost as much as a premium marque without the residual values of a premium marque. Look at the Vignale range on Ford. You can buy a Merc or similar for about the same amount.

Expensive cars aren't always poor value for money just as cheap cars aren't always good value for money. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

1 - Nomatter how people view renting it is essentially an expensive form of credit as you're borrowing an entire property rather than part of the value, the landlord pays a higher rate on their mortgage than a resident would, the landlord makes a rental profit, keeps all capital gains apart from tax, and pays taxes and insurances that residents wouldn't pay

2 - fair point about back pain

3 - good point too, i go for percieved long term value over price, but mechanics aren't my forte so i have made misjudgements sometimes (i accept it as a risk in 2nd hand and go by the average expectation of better value)

Every car me and my parents have had has either been vandalised at some point or broken into, or crashed into from behind, it's a big fat target for the local yobs that is hard to defend all the time, with less money sitting on the driveway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure