PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Spends up to £170 so far this month.. Had both DS’s home this evening so made a rather tasty chicken curry with some YS chicken (got today) & a sauce from the cupboard..
    Yum!
    Will be taking stock of my hidey hole upstairs, forgotten exactly what was put in there.. :rotfl:

What are we like? - I am sure I boost the SM profits with all their stuff I store here - and I pay them instead of them needing warehousing to store it!

A case in point - The toothpaste I like was on offer when I popped in for bowl fruit yesterday - so three popped in to my basket (although I have not paid full price for these for about 8 years) probably 7 at home is a little more than normal...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Suffolk Lass - your soup is in the recipe index under the Soups section and named "Squash and Vegetable Soup"

July GC is now live HERE
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Up to £68.56/£100 for the month now, had a bit of an oops moment that involved going to the supermarket hungry. And Ben and Jerry's being reduced to £3 a tub in T3sco's.:o:D
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2019 at 9:37PM
    Options
    We're up to £316.45 following an £8.77 top-up shop - bananas, bread flour, noodles, some extra veg, and a tub of spice for yet another baking experiment. It actually came to more than that, but I returned a couple of new potatoes that turned out to be green when I'd scrubbed them, and they refunded me for the whole lot. Considering they were quite a bit more than twice the price for the same spuds down at the market (where I'd have bought them in the first place, if I'd known we were going to need them) I felt quite justified in returning them when they weren't up to scratch.

This baking lark is costing a bit upfront, but the savings will kick in later. I need to buy a small amount of equipment (which will come from another part of my budget - "household infrastructure") but can mostly bodge it with what I've already got. Once I feel I've really got the hang of it, we shouldn't ever need to buy bread again. What I'm turning out at the moment is reliably good, but not superb, which is what I'm aiming for; I'm hoping to be able to produce a delicious, nutritious, fluffy & crunchy sourdough loaf for the same price as a mid-range supermarket loaf, even counting in energy used. Getting there!

ETA: just worked that out, using the current prices for a) the flour (using Stoates Organic Strong White; wholemeal's a bit cheaper but I tend to use a mix) 90p, salt probably no more than 5p, water 0p as we're not metered, and the 'leccy around 20p, so £1.15. Somewhat cheaper than the bakery's £3.90...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    thriftwizard, I recommend buying some wheatgerm to add to your bread - it makes all the difference to the flavour and goodness. I buy mine from Shipton Mill - my old Basic White Bread recipe (with a dough hook) has been in the recipe index at the front for years. I add sourdough from our starter for flavour, and top it with some dried yeast these days, and as you suggest, a mix of flours (and seeds sometimes)
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, Suffolk lass, I shall certainly try that! However I have to report - I'm going to need more Zaatar. The rolls are so delicious I've eaten two whilst waiting for my soup to heat up! Good job I did a 2.5 mile walk with DD1 first thing this morning...
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning All

I have a few spends to report from this week. £8.90 at the farm shop on Saturday, followed by £4.78 in MrT's on Sunday, then an extra $6.08 in Lidl last night. (It's Scottish Week - I went looking for their Haggis pizzas...) That brings our total spend for June to £141.79/£130, so £11.79 over budget so far.

Having broken our budget so early in the month, I think we'll be considerably over come 30th June. DH and I each contributed an extra £10 to the GC kitty last weekend - not counted in the £130 budget above - but that is almost all spent.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thank you, Suffolk lass, I shall certainly try that! However I have to report - I'm going to need more Zaatar. The rolls are so delicious I've eaten two whilst waiting for my soup to heat up! Good job I did a 2.5 mile walk with DD1 first thing this morning...

Have you tried making Zaatar? the recipe looks simple and I have everything in my cupboard except Sumac and most SMs sell that - I was looking at this recipe here
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £30.96 on cat food that will last until towards the end of next month.

£91.13 left. Doing the weekly shop tomorrow.
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hey everyone, we were away last week so were working from a different budget. 4 days until payday so far within budget, have £30 left and barely any food in the house.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport