Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

June 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 May 2019 at 6:58AM in Old Style MoneySaving
155 replies 13.9K views

Replies

• thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Suffolk lass, that looks absolutely do-able!

I've gone over budget too. Too much baking! And not enough staying-out-of-the-supermarket. It's not disastrous, luckily, but just goes to show how easy it is to drift & lose focus. Must do better in July... shouldn't need much else this week, and it's payday on Friday, but I've said I'll accompany DS2's partner to the market tomorrow morning to see what bargains we can find...
    Angie

GC Nov 20 £98/400
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 35 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • getmyacttogether2016getmyacttogether2016 Forumite
    243 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Evening all

Another spend for me today of £39.67 , total now stands at £160.34.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 47/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
  • Saver.The.TasteSaver.The.Taste Forumite
    108 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    After a little bit of reckless food shopping and the odd meal out with old friends, really surprised when totting up to find myself still under budget. My monthly food shop is now almost run out bar the stuff I bought on a whim and now have no idea what to do with, so let the inventing begin!!

With a week to go and a little of the budget left I feel this one is in the bag, and considering there were 2 meals out and 4 lunches I reckon I can tighten my budget for next month!

£155.22/£175
    February Bring Your Lunch To Work 12/19
    February Grocery Challenge £48.25/£100 48%
    February No Spend Days 12/17
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    £42.11 on the weekly shop today:

Bag of salad leaves (YS), 2 pots of pomegranate (YS), noodle salad pot (YS), blueberry apple and chia seed loaf (YS), 4 rosemary focaccia, 6 eggs, 7 jelly pots, 6 litres Pepsi max, 40 mint teabags, sweet chili sauce, bolognese sauce (4 portions), pasta sauce (2 portions), tin of chopped tomatoes, ball of mozzarella, hard goats cheese, 4 pints of milk, creme fraiche, gnocchi, basil plant, broccoli, 2 baking potatoes, 1 leek, bunch of flowers (YS), 1 banana, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cucumber, 1 red pepper, bag of frozen butternut squash chunks, 1 sweet potato, 3 portions frozen fries, Quorn mince, bleach, 6 sponges, anti-bac spray, 1 doughnut (YS), 2 millionaire shortbread slices (YS).

Meal plan:
    1. Quorn bolognese with linguine
    2. Pasta ready meals from the freezer (given to us by my mum)
    3. OH is out - I'll make an omelette with whatever's in the fridge and some fries
    4. Creamy broccoli gnocchi
    5. Meatball mozzarella bake
    6. Sweet potato, sweet chili and goats cheese salad

Lunches will be soup (making leek and potato this week) and salads, and the YS noodle pot.

Breakfasts will be yoghurts, fruit and overnight oats/porridge.

For snacks we have rice cakes, pistachios, fibre bars, breakfast biscuits, crisps, popcorn, jelly, cheese and more fruit and yoghurt.

£49.02 left - we need to get dog food and treats on Saturday which will probably be £15-20, so we'll have to do a cheap weekly shop Saturday evening and make the most of our freezer/cupboard stocks.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I escaped from the market without buying any more food! (We won't mention the two £1 plants... different budget!) There wasn't anything on offer that we like & I hadn't already bought on Friday. Phew - I spent all yesterday evening making strawberry jam, and am about to cut up 4 mangoes for the dehydrator, and - enough's enough!
    Angie

GC Nov 20 £98/400
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 35 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Matron_MidgeMatron_Midge Forumite
    640 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Declaring June at £333.14/£400.
    Annual total is looking good at £2279.43/£5200.
    Students have returned home and are eating like locusts so I will be lucky to have another frugal month, although that said, my cupboards and freezer stocks are healthy and the garden is now producing supplies of berries and veg and there are quite a few yellow sticker pizzas for when they demand quick snack foods after sports and before nights out.
    See you on the July thread!
  • MadamMim2013MadamMim2013 Forumite
    845 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    A few items purchased today inc munch for a cinema trip :)
    Total so far I’d £192.92/£300
    ;)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    That's me declaring for the month at £65.41 for the month. I did a final little food shop after work, and was walking around Lidl with my phone as a calculator! I needed to be sure I was coming in under a tenner.

I've enough in the cupboards to see me through the next week, and into July.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Merlin's_BeardMerlin's_Beard Forumite
    512 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hopefully declaring at £98.30/£100, as long as I semi successfully make some bread this week at some point. Let's just say that that skill a work in progress, but improving.
  • ancientmumancientmum Forumite
    281 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Well folks, it's downhill to Christmas from here and my current total is £689.38. My youngest DS is home from uni so there will be a sharp rise in spending over the next three months, although I am well within my annual estimate. I'll just have to see how it goes.
    If life is a journey, I want comfy shoes :

Grocery Challenge 2020: £1475.70/1500 yearly spend