TV licences: 400,000 don't have one, but do you know the law?

Options
"Over 400,000 households have told the BBC they do not need a TV licence because... "
Read the full story:

Over 400,000 households have told the BBC they don't need a TV licence
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2013 at 1:53PM
    Options
    The article is somewhat incorrect referring to 'live TV'.
    You don't need a licence to watch (for example) CNN US or NASA TV streaming at the same time it is broadcast.
    You need a licence to watch in real-time a licensed UK TV broadcast station.
    You don't need one if you are receiving satellite TV from a broadcaster not regulated under the UK TV broadcast laws, or live youtube or other streaming shows from providers that are not so regulated.

You do need a licence to watch live Sky/BBC/ITV/all commercial UK broadcasters.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    The article is somewhat incorrect referring to 'live TV'.
    You don't need a licence to watch (for example) CNN US or NASA TV streaming at the same time it is broadcast.
    You need a licence to watch in real-time a licensed UK TV broadcast station.
    You don't need one if you are receiving satellite TV from a broadcaster not regulated under the UK TV broadcast laws, or live youtube or other streaming shows from providers that are not so regulated.

You do need a licence to watch live Sky/BBC/ITV/all commercial UK broadcasters.

Source please?

According to the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, Part 3, 9(2)
    In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.
    I see no mention or restriction of where those broadcasts originate from.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not another license thread!
    Cue the usual suspects queuing up in a never ending spiral of claim and counter claim!
    I predict a hundred posts by the end of the week!:eek:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 18 June 2013 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Not another licence thread!
    Cue the usual suspects queuing up in a never ending spiral of claim and counter claim!
    I predict a hundred posts by the end of the week!:eek:
    ....and, as the first post after the OP contained an inaccurate claim about non-UK TV broadcasts, it's likely that half (at least) of the 100 will be similarly inaccurate!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would you tell the BBC or Crapita anything? Bin the letters, and if they come to your door tell them to go away. We are not accountable to the BBC.

Also this is misleading

"While most of the cash goes to the BBC, the licence is for watching any TV channels 'live' - even if you only watch satellite or cable channels."

Implying that these other channels receive some of the money.

They don't. Only the BBC receive cash, basically the deal is that if you want to watch Sky Sports (etc.) and not the BBC, you still have to pay for the BBC. If you don't watch Sky Sports or the BBC, then you don't have to pay anything.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the whole thing either needs to be scrapped or the rules changed.

The fact you can watch all the same content but an hour or so later and not pay a penny is just wrong.

It is a shame it excludes PVRs, I don't watch much live these days but tis all recorded form live streams so I have to pay.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • William_young
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    ....and, as the first post after the OP contained an inaccurate claim about non-UK TV broadcasts, it's likely that half (at least) of the 100 will be similarly inaccurate!

So do we now get to collect licence fee's from europe? where many take the uk output.

will Amateur radio/tv buffs from around the world have to pay if they recieve a uk based amateur transmission?
  • William_young
    Options
    thelawnet wrote: »
    Why would you tell the BBC or Crapita anything? Bin the letters, and if they come to your door tell them to go away. We are not accountable to the BBC.

Also this is misleading

"While most of the cash goes to the BBC, the licence is for watching any TV channels 'live' - even if you only watch satellite or cable channels."

Implying that these other channels receive some of the money.

They don't. Only the BBC receive cash, basically the deal is that if you want to watch Sky Sports (etc.) and not the BBC, you still have to pay for the BBC. If you don't watch Sky Sports or the BBC, then you don't have to pay anything.

None of the money goes to the BBC, the BBC gets funding, it 'collects' the licence fee on behalf of the government, just like the road fund licence pays for the roads notionally, I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?
    Probably because if we all paid individually for only the streets we use then the cost to each person would be astronomical in comparison to the nominal road tax everyone pays.
    Poor analogy.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    None of the money goes to the BBC, the BBC gets funding, it 'collects' the licence fee on behalf of the government, just like the road fund licence pays for the roads notionally, I dont drive much & I dont come down your street why should I pay for you to have a road?

There is no 'road fund licence'.

Vehicle Excise Duty is an emissions-based tax. Electric cars and other low-emission vehicles pay nothing.

The VED tax is not in any way whatsoever connected to spending on the roads, which comes out of general taxation.

It's incredibly stupid to say that the money does not go to the BBC - here is the official position http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/pdf/licence_fee_trust_statement_20120716.pdf

"The BBC collects Licence Fee revenue from customers and transfers it to the HM Government’s Consolidated Fund. The revenue collected is passed back to the BBC as Grant-in-Aid from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)."

In other words the BBC receives the money, and if it can sell more licences, it gets more money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure