PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back on topic before I have too much brandy. Defrosted what I thought were two pork loin steaks overnight, but they turned out to be one 1/2" pork loin/chop/whatever. So YS salad potatoes quartered, parboiled then fried, sprouts parboiled, halved then fried, two large shallots cut lengthways & fried, nice crusty bread to clean the plate, salt & pepper only for seasoning. Yum...

I'm really into shallots at the moment - it has to be said
    The shallots and baby onions are lovely at this time of year - if you fancy some pickled ones this is a great recipe https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/christmas/christmas-the-last-36-hours/pickled-shallots-in-sherry-vinegar made now they'll be just about mature enough to have with festive leftovers:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Yikes Brambling bet that pushed up the "active minutes" on your Fitbit:eek:, glad you are unscathed:)

Just checked the Fitbit, it seem I did some cardio on my drive to work :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Just checked the Fitbit, it seem I did some cardio on my drive to work :rotfl:
    Bet you did and without leaving your seat, so much for driving being a sedentary activity:eek::eek::rotfl:
  • unrecordings
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    The shallots and baby onions are lovely at this time of year - if you fancy some pickled ones this is a great recipe https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/christmas/christmas-the-last-36-hours/pickled-shallots-in-sherry-vinegar made now they'll be just about mature enough to have with festive leftovers:)
    Waitrose have Garners pickled shallots on offer- 'nasty' as Donald 'the Peach' would say, which is a pity as Garners are usually quite good, but the pickled shallots not so...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I almost became a statistic this morning :cool: a 4 x 4 driver decided to launch themselves off their drive in front of me to turn right :eek: I was going 40 and there was no way I could of stopped in time, luckily the car coming the other way was far enough away that I could swerve around the front of the 4x4 . I'm not sure if they didn't see me or though they could make it. I may have made a !!!!!! hand movement, BTH it happened so quick I couldn't tell if it was a man or women driving. I could see them reverse back into their drive as I drove on. It definitely raised my heart rate and a strong cup of tea was required when I got to work.

How scary!:(:eek:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I tried two of the Mr T bean/cheese melts + chips. It was the end of that bag and so I had to empty the bag and have a big portion as the alternative was to have just 10 chips loitering in the bag in the freezer. Having got to the end I decided that one melt would've been enough :) and fewer chips :)

This morning I had two pieces of toast before going out to view a rubbish house, so on the way back I decided to pop into a shop to get a 4 pack of lamb burgers.... I thought L1dl was easiest/best of the choices I had in rush hour, in the dark, when I was pondering car park ease of use and how busy a shop would be.

Got in there, picked up a few bits and pieces.... and they had NO lamb burgers! So I begrudgingly bought Angus Aberdeen burgers as it was either that, or go without, or go to a 2nd shop...

I also got eggs and cocktail sausages (to make cooked breakfasts) and a bag of chips, smallish pack of cheese and some sweeties :)

Tea tonight was a burger with cheese and ketchup in flatbread + chips.

I've also scoffed half the sweets.
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I separated my waitrose streaky bacon into portions yesterday, kept one back from the freezer and am looking forward to that later today with an egg, LO mushrooms and a tomato. I still haven`t made that celery soup but will later for teatime, I saw Gino doing his Italian recipes yesterday, I do like the sound of his minestre soup, on my list for sunday when the celery soup is eaten. I also have salad stuff to finish so will have some as starters for a couple of days

I decided to get back to making my own granola again. Could not find any with the ingredients that I wanted and anyway I have overflow of oats. I can keep it in the freezer btw and I like some mixed with crumble topping too.

I do have to sort out the fridge today, will have to ignore the beeping from it. It has been a place to dump things but the garage is cold enough for some storage now, seeds etc
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

The storm seems to have blown out overnight though it's still pretty breezy and wet. Last night's loud crash doesn't seem to be anything on my property that blew off or over as far as I can.
    My groceries should arrive shortly which is just as well as I've used the last of the milk and bread this morning.

Lunch will be a sarnie of some description and tonight it still tbc but will probably be fish in one form or another.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just had wholemeal toast with marg and Marmite and a glass of orange juice.
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    that breakfast with waitrose bacon was fab. I sorted my fridge and am overwhelmed by cheeses, have enough until august next year. Plenty of halloumi due to potential impending shortage. Feet up for a bit, I have done enough work to warrant a break but def has to be celery soup later as well as LO raspberries and a bit of yoghurt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback