My Pregnancy Money-Saving Diary

Options

Comments

• jessanna
    jessanna Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Where did you get them from? It's something I'm considering second (mse) time around.
    I'd recommend visiting a local nappy agent - it's really helpful to see the nappies before you buy them - getting the right brand is really important.

Go to https://www.nappyfinder.co.uk for a list of local people - or go to https://www.lizziesrealnappies.org.uk or https://www.nappylady.co.uk. They offer personalised advice and also sell the nappies - often at slightly discounted prices.

I'm particulalry keen on Tots Bots nappies - I've been using them for nearly 3 years now and love them.
  • lynneinjapan
    lynneinjapan Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have my first one due in mid-August and am planning on using reusable nappies too... but if you want to potentially save even more money then you could always consider Elimination Communication!

I just found out about it the other day. The idea got my interest because I visited China on holiday a few years ago and noticed that most babies there don't wear nappies - the mum just carries them around with a cloth held against their bare bottom to contain any accidents - and toddlers wear crotchless trousers so that it's easy for them to just squat if they need to. I was told that they start potty-training their kids at the age of one month and usually they're pretty much there by the time they're a year old! It seems that this is common practice in many Asian and African countries.

The reason it works, apparently, is that most infants (both human and animal) have a natural instinct to avoid soiling their nests, so by putting babies in nappies - especially disposable ones that wick away the wetness so the baby doesn't feel uncomfortable - we're actually training them contrary to their natural inclinations! By the age of 4-5 months they're nappy-trained, and then two years later we have to train them back in the opposite direction! The basic idea of EC is that you learn to read the signals that say the baby is about to "eliminate" (i.e. pee or poo), and quickly hold him/her over a suitable receptacle and make a sound that lets the baby know that it's OK to go ahead and do it. A few accidents are inevitable but the baby soon learns to hold on for a minute or two when necessary. It takes a fair amount of work and relies on a consistent approach (so probably not much good if, like me, you're planning on returning to work after a few months) but think of the money and laundry it could save you!

Loads more info and links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication
  • persis_2
    persis_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I have three weeks to go in my pregancy and have recived loads of freebies, i think if you phone a company tell them you are pregnant and want to start using their products they send more samples. I phoned simple facecare and asked for some samples of there baby products got sent lots of samples and baby wipes great for hosptial bag. 0121 327 4750

I bought all my nursery furnture from a place in North London half price, all Mamas and Papas, should of cost £1200 got for £500!

thanks for your post
  • persis_2
    persis_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    hi Juliepink,
    thanks for your post.could you kindly name this shop in North London where you got your stuff for half price?? much appreciated
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum said she did this with me (i.e. just took my nappy off in between times) and I was potty trained from the early months and I thought she was just being her usual bonkers self. Seems like a true case of mum knows best!
  • yorkshirepudding_4
    Options
    I read somewhere that some research had been done that said the environmental impact of reuseables and disposables was aboutthe same, after you factor in the water/energy/tumble drier used to wash them and the detergents used. I've used disposables with my daughter and I don't regret it, I have no time as it is and do so much laundry anyway! When I was pregnant I was determined to use reuseables but when it came to the crunch I went for the easy option, it was bad enough washing all her 4 changes of clothes a day without having nappies aswell. The only other plus of reuseables was the cost, but I've found that the estimated cost of keeping children in nappies extremely exagerated. After the initial sloppy poo onslaught, I found we were going through maximim 4 a day at 10p each and considering I hope to have her out of nappies by her 2nd birthday I make that less than £300, a lot less than some of the figures you here, they are either still in nappies at four, or they are buying very expensive nappies and changing them every five minutes. I'm not against anyone using reuseables, just like I wouldn't expect anyone to judge me for using disposables, but I don think it's important to be realistic about what you can achieve, for me it was a toss up between struggling and persevearing with breast feeding and using washables, both are so time consuming I don't think I could have done both. I'm glad I picked feeding. I have a friend who is sometimes waiting for the nappies to dry so she can change his nappy. crazy!
    It's definitely not definately!
  • jumb1e
    jumb1e Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but the environmental report wasn't very accurate. Basically if I'd put it in as an assignment it would have been thrown back in my face and told to do it again! I can't remember numbers but the majority of people that were surveyed were disposable users, and of those that were cloth nappy users only a third were relied upon for some of the assumptions.
    So the report reckoned that people do things like use fabric conditioner, boil wash. iron their nappies and so on - things that add up to higher environmental impact.

If you use cloth nappies sensibly you can reduce the impact on the environment by about 25%.
    Plus I don't know if the report actually looked at what happened to the disposables once they go into landfill.

*sigh* sorry rant over. Personally I love my [daughter's] nappies.
  • SpanielsGalore
    Options
    Also you could join

http://www.babysfirstdiary.com/

Welcome to Baby's First Diary – a complete record of your first year with your new baby.

We would like to find out all about the first year of your baby's life, and all the things you and your baby see, learn and do together. We will ask you to record a short weekly diary about your baby (to find out more about the diary and High Street Vouchers click here) and his or her development, and also to complete one questionnaire per month of this first year (to find out more about the questionnaires click here). In return, we are offering a personalised hard bound diary (for free!) detailing your first year with your baby.

Simply log in to your own secure web page each week and leave your thoughts and feelings, as well as any big milestones (first tooth, first word etc.) and at the end of the year Baby's First Diary will send you a professionally printed, fully bound copy of the diary.

My baby is only 8 months so haven't recieved a diary yet but will let you know !
  • jumb1e
    jumb1e Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Jo I forgot to say Congratulations!

And to echo what jessanna said, if you don't get on with cloth it could be that you're using the wrong sort. We started off using prefolds and while my husband loved the idea as they were so cheap he found every excuse under the sun to not change her nappy. And then he bought a Motherease from Waitrose and was converted, not just to the higher cost of the shaped nappies but also to changing her bottom!
    If leaks are a problem it is also worth pointing out that the waterproof wrap is as important as the nappy itself. Our daughter had such skinny legs that the velcro wraps just didn't fit right but the ones that popper at both the waist and the leg worked great. We still only had a few minutes to get her changed after a poo (until she started on solids), but with disposables it was more like a few seconds before containment breach!

If you can borrow from a friend do this to try out; some people love the absorbency of tots bots while others find they take too long to dry, for example, things that you'll only find out once you've tried them. Then buy second hand. Classifieds like http://pub9.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=753868980&cpv=1 (on https://www.thenappylady.co.uk) are good - I always found ebay to be overpriced on the more popular nappies.

But if you are unable to sway your OH then I've heard that once disposables are in landfill then even the ones that are supposed to biodegrade don't, as they need air to do this. If this is true then you may as well save the pennies and use tesco's own brand rather than the Nature babies ones!

Hoep this helps!
  • milliejon
    milliejon Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Jo

Thanks for this thread and congratulations!

I had my baby boy in January this year and it has been much cheaper the second time round. My daughter was born when I had credit cards!! I bought the best I could then and kept everything. I bought all the big items and bedding etc in neutral colours.

I obviously couldn't re-use her clothes. I sold these on ebay and bought bundles of boys' clothes.

The only real expense I have is to buy a highchair. I bought a wooden two piece highchair that separates into a table and chair when my daughter was born. But, whatever I try I cannot get my little girl to donate her table, which she uses for eating, painting etc, to her little brother. So that wasn't the money saver I thought it would be.

My brother's girlfriend is expecting a baby in September. I've tried to convince him to buy second hand - but he doesn't want to. I told him that by the time she's 6 months old, he'll realise how expensive just clothes are and he'll be happy for anything! He thinks I'm joking. He'll learn!

Anyway, I'll keep reading this and if I come across any money saving I'll drop it in.

Don't forget that if you use baby wipes, then buy then when they're on BOGOF (even if you don't need them). Keep them stocked up!
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) £0! - total paid off £30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!:j
    Non smoker since June 2006 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business