My Pregnancy Money-Saving Diary

Options

Comments

• 2Princess_Mum
    Options
    Congrats jo_b, and all other expectant mothers. Financially its always cheaper second time round if you don't mind re-using. Luckily for me I had another girl (unluckily for my second she inherited ALL the hand me downs). I've only bought a few items of clothing for little one (only to save the embarrassment of nosey people identifying the clothes that are so distinct that I couldn't possibly get away with saying that they didn't belong to my eldest).

I am also familiar with the toy/baby accessory store in north london as I also purchased a cot and bedding set there. If you can get a discount, then it's well worth going, but at the time of my first baby and being in awe of what was on offer i didn't bother to ask for a discount. I would advise anyone considering buying there to shop around first, as their prices are almost always bumped up to offer substantial discounts to make it seem as though you get a good deal. When I first went there (Feb 03) I saw a three wheeler travel system they had priced at £299.99, when I expressed an interest, (merely looking only) the shop assistant immediately said she could knock £100 of the price. A bargain some may think, but I had already seen the same travel system in Mothercare for £199.99, so hardly a bargain. I was only expressing the interest to confirm it was the same buggy (it was), so I found the immediate discount all the more humorous.

Most mothers will know the best way to shop so the following advice is for the new expectant mothers. Always take advantage of BOGOF baby wipes. Tesco always have one brand or other on special offer, so stock up. NEVER buy them from Mothercare, they are dreadfully expensive.

If you have a Makro/Costco card, or know anyone who does, tag along with them and get the large packs of nappies. They'll last you ages, especially if when you're at home with baby you let them have a nappy breather on the changing mat once or twice a day (that'll save you at least 7-14 nappies per week).

Limit what clothes you buy in 0-3 months, they will grow it out in no time. Buy 3-6 for your 0-6 month old and 9-12 for your 6-12 month old. You'll ensure they get a decent wear out of the clothes.

Limit the toys you buy. Buy toys that encourage your childs development, but most babies are happy playing with anything they can grab hold of. Just make sure it's not hazardous. Plus the toys just clutter up their room, your room, the living room/bathroom/ (um everywhere)!!!

Hope the advice is useful. And congrats againto all expectant mothers

2PM
    :mad: Its better to be mad than to be a mute. Everyone hears the grievance of a madman - whether they acknowledge you or not. The mute is as good as dead... :D

:j I now have a Prince :j
  • honeychunky
    honeychunky Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations Jo & all you other mums2b!

I will be watching this thread with great interest! I have recently given birth to a baby girl, my second child and looking back I am HORRIFIED at how much money I spent on my son! That of course was pre MSE! I bought everything brand new and spent a fortune! The biggest outlay was the 3, yes 3! pushchairs, bought brand new at full price, that have now been abandonded for a 2 seater! The list of purchases that were never used, didn't work or just weren't suitable for our needs is endless. Fortunately I saved absoloutely everthing and I am re-using what I can and selling what I can't. I have made loads of savings so-far, such as:
    Supermarket nappies - half the price and just as absorbent!
    Second hand clothes - as good as new, without the expense and my little one will never know the difference, neither will anyone else!
    Toy libraries - new toys every few weeks, for free! My son gets bored with his toys very quickly, so this is a great way to save!
    Terry nappies - used for everything other than nappies. Great as bibs, dribble cloths, bedding(when everything else is in the wash!), car seat/pushchair covers (to protect from sunlight, spills, accidents etc), the list goes on!
    I am going to make a note of all my savings, and invest that ammount into their child trust funds!
  • persis_2
    persis_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Juliepink,i think i passed it once. must be the shop very close to the bridge.
  • 2Princess_Mum
    Options
    persis wrote:
    thanks Juliepink,i think i passed it once. must be the shop very close to the bridge.

Yes, thats the one, right next to the fruit and veg shop. Parking can be a joke sometimes, although there are 2 spaces right in front of the shop (pavement parking) if you're lucky to get a space. Do not park on Bruce Grove itself, unless you have someone (preferably the driver) sitting in the car. Traffic wardens are merciless there when they spring out of thin air. Sometimes they'll just take your car registration and send the ticket to your house. Its red route and the allocated parking outside the fruit & veg/Totland store is for deliveries and (I believe) disabled badge holders only, so I wouldn't recommend chancing it. Although there are free parking spaces on Moorefield Road (the first road on the left as you enter Bruce Grove from the Tottenham High Road end). From Bruce Grove its no entry so take the second left (Woodside Gardens), then left keep going left (sorry, the names of the other roads have slipped me). You'll see an arrow at the end of the road that takes you to Moorefield road (left only) and the free parking is on the right at the end of Moorefield Road.

2PM
    :mad: Its better to be mad than to be a mute. Everyone hears the grievance of a madman - whether they acknowledge you or not. The mute is as good as dead... :D

• 2Princess_Mum
    Options
    Remembered now: From Bruce Grove left to Woodside Gardens, then left to Sperling Road, then left to Moorefield Road.

• ethel43
    ethel43 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I too am expecting my 2nd in September and am geatly looking forward to using the MSE tips I have learned in the last few months while I have been checking this site out. (Water meter is being fitted next month!)

We have just signed up for real nappies at The Baby Show ( not a version of Crufts for children as my Father-in-law thought !!! but) a gathering of loads of companies with all things imaginable to do with having children - loads of freebies given away on the day and in true MSE style I got discounted tickets via a promo in a baby magazine... Although we just went to one in Birmingham I think there is one in October in London. We went last year having had my first as a day out but so wished I had gone beforeI had made all those big purchases!

This time we got bargains galore:
    50 stick on name labels for 6.95 + 50 iron on free
    a double buggy for £100 instead of £150
    real nappies from Onelife for £149 instead of £199
    have enough non-bio washing machine tablet samples to take on the next three holidays and loads of handbag baby wipe packs
    and we saved an estimated £150 on a trip to center parcs that we were planning...

I took my OH to carry all the freebie bags and recycled all the literature I didn't want when we came home!

I found it really useful to have all the different types of real nappy demo'd at this as when you look in catalogues / high street shops its difficult to know what to do with them

looking forward to reading the rest of the threads - this is a great idea!
  • MacksGirl
    MacksGirl Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    jo_b wrote:
    I tried a real nappy laundering service when my first baby was born because I was really keen on reusables. I have to admit that I struggled with them and found them an unnecessary extra inconvenience on top of having a newborn to deal with. :o

I probably would have perservered though, but my OH really disliked them and, as he was in charge of all the evening/night-time nappy changes, he won over. I've got a few trial nappies in newborn size left over from last time and I do plan to use them alongside disposables for the first couple of months, though.

I do genuinely like the 'idea' of reusables, both for the financial benefits and the environmental issues, but just didn't get on with them that well. :o

I'm really into the real nappy thing, and when I read this thread I just had to register so I could post a reply.

My husband also really disliked doing real nappies, particularly because he has a keen sense of smell.
    We've reached a working compromise - I deal with any dirty nappies that he changes and instead of soaking the nappies in water with tea tree oil, we 'drypail' them. That is, we stick them in a bucket with a lid on. Somehow they smell less. They are also far easier to handle. We just fling them into the washing machine every second day.

But being something of a nappy addict I have tried a few different types and have finally found the one that I wish I had invested in at the beginning.
    I've 2 babes and I've been using real nappies from the beginning (oldest now potty trained).
    I started absolutely eco-friendly - organic cotton and wool options and it was, I hate to admit, a bit of a faff (also daughter allergic to the wool :sad:), went onto terries (they dry well, save on tumble drying and for £20 I bought all the nappies that I needed to top up my nappies for 2 babies) and when life got too busy to wrestle a baby into a piece of cloth, I got some secondhand motherease.

Then I was given 4 Fuzzi Bunz that are just fantastic and I wish I'd had them from the beginning. They dry in no time at all. For the absorbent bit I use a terry, so that also dries in no time at all. And best of all for the non-real nappy person, they are like a disposable with only 2 side fastening and no confusing layers.
    Individually they are not cheap (£8-10 I think) , and you need to buy different sizes. But you wouldn't need to buy as many as other types of nappies because they dry so quick - as quick as fleece dries.

This seems really quite long-winded, but I love the savings I've made, the rubbish I've not created, the freshly-dried-outside smell of the nappies, the fact that there are no chemical smells, and I just love my girls with their big bottoms and the way they can hold themselves up because they are so well padded. And I'd love to others enjoying all that too :)
  • MacksGirl
    MacksGirl Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to add my other eco-friendly money saving tip for baby care. I've started using Ecoballs for doing my laundry. They work at a low temperature (higher if you want, eg. for nappies :) ). They don't need to be measured out, just chuck them in; they are great for sensitive skin; they cost about 3p a wash; they come with a 30 day money back guarantee; I don't need to lug a heavy bottle home every so often because they last for 1000 washes. Initially they are expensive, £35. But there is the guarantee...

Okay, I'm still in the money back guarantee phase, but after about 2 weeks, the clothes and nappies are clean, smelling good, and my mother-in-law thinks they work (and she has come from the boiling your teatowel school of laundry :eek: ).

I've only found them online not in supermarkets etc. And some charge delivery and some don't. NigelsEcoStore does free delivery.
    http://www.theinsightecostore.com/

Hope this helps ease the eco-conscience :)
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MacksGirl wrote:
    I'm really into the real nappy thing, and when I read this thread I just had to register so I could post a reply.

Welcome to MSE. :) I'm glad this thread gave you the impetus to register.

Thanks for the advice about reusable nappies. I will definitely have a look at some of the different brands. :)
  • MadMonkey
    MadMonkey Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I am pg with no.3. If you have a browse at parenting websites a lot of them have buy and sell boards for all baby and kids stuff - they are great!

https://www.parentslounge.co.uk is a very good site - great forums with loads of advice on all aspects of parenting and a great buy and sell area - clothes/ baby stuff / nappies all at great prices.

i have saved about £100 so far by getting things off these forums;)

not sure if it's ok to post a link to another site as i have never posted on here b4 - just lurk and read!:confused:

if not then sorry !! if you gooogle parenting sites you will find some similar.
    It's not paranoia if they really are after you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure