Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• Tonyb123
    Options
    I had an ATOL protected flight only with Monarch. Although requested The CAA did not repatriate me on my scheduled date which was 24 October. Because return flights to the UK were sold out I had to take a flight 2 weeks after my rescheduled return date. Can I claim the cost of the return flight and reasonable living expenses for the two week period. I did not have accommodation costs
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    What do you mean, although requested? The CAA repatriated everyone either on their booked travel date or as close to as possible.
  • Tonyb123
    Options
    Received a CM Escalation e-mail from the CAA on 15 October,2017 asking whether I wanted to be repatriated on 24 October. Spoke to CAA gave my contact details (e-mail and mobile number) and they said I `would be notified of my flight details 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled flight. I received nothing from the CAA . On 25 October I received a Claim form.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Tonyb123 wrote: »
    Received a CM Escalation e-mail from the CAA on 15 October,2017 asking whether I wanted to be repatriated on 24 October. Spoke to CAA gave my contact details (e-mail and mobile number) and they said I `would be notified of my flight details 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled flight. I received nothing from the CAA . On 25 October I received a Claim form.

The CAA put all the new flight details on their website as soon as they had them. It was usually about 24 hrs or more prior to departure.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The charter flights only operated up to October 15, after that everyone was booked on individual flights. I find it difficult to believe that no flights were available for 2 weeks, irrespective of half term. Where were you flying back from? Did you contact the CAA at all during those 2 weeks? If not then I doubt you can expect them to pay living expenses for that length of time.
  • catwoman73
    Options
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    I've just received my refund as a chargeback from Tesco CC, 4 weeks after I put my claim in.

No explanation as to why they've not repaid my consequential losses so will try for the other £200 which was the extra cost of the replacement flights with my travel insurer as I did have scheduled airline failure cover, so hopefully will cover the rest that way even though the small print is confusing as to whether I'm covered or not in relation to when the failure happens compared to the date of travel.

UPDATE. Two weeks after refunding my Monarch booking with no explanation of why they didn't pay my consequential losses, they have now asked for evidence of my consequential losses, ie a copy of booking for the more expensive replacement flights. So this is now looking hopeful.
  • Derek_Lawrence
    Options
    Hi All .... We booked a holiday package through Monarch & paid them direct with Post Office Credit Card. When Monarch went under we were told we had to claim through Credit Card company. Credit Card company rejected our claim & told us we had to go through Monarchs ATOL claims system. They replied rejecting our claim. We are now unsure what to do as neither are accepting responsibility. The value is more than £1000
  • AndyE000
    Options
    We have a John Lewis credit card with which we bought our flights for next Summer direct through the Monarch website. Following advice here we put in an "Anticipatory Breach" claim under Section 75 in writing to John Lewis. After some delay, the money has been refunded to our Credit Card account and we have had the credit balance transferred to our bank account.

However, the letter outlining the refund says the following:

"We're investigating the matter for you with the retailer's bank and have arranged to refund this amount to your Partnership card while this happens....
    .... If our claim is unsuccessful we will let you know either by phoning or writing to you. In that event, the transaction may be re-debited from your account" (emphasis mine)

We're not sure what that means? Are they saying they're making a chargeback claim even though we were specific about Section 75? We can certainly do without having the refund taken back - we've already had to book (and pay for) new flights with BA.
  • tintown
    Options
    i have credit card with nationwide and received this reply I am pleased to tell you that i have been able to recover the funds from the retailer refund shown on next statement.The retailer may choose to challenge our reasons for claiming back these funds which may mean that your account could be debited again in the future we will let you know in this case.

So have i got it back or not ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport