Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 36,087Posts
    • 151,764Thanks
    silvercar
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    0 WOW
    Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights 2nd Oct 17 at 8:55 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert article:

Monarch Airlines help

We're updating this guide throughout the day with answers to new questions when we get them. If you have a question not answered in that guide post it below and we'll do our best to help.

Huge thanks to silvercar for starting this discussion thread as Monarch news has been changing so quickly. Also see our Section 75 refunds and Visa, Mastercard & Amex Chargeback guides.

Watch Martin's tips for fighting your corner if your chargeback request is rejected:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 1
    • Mike J
    • By Mike J 2nd Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 977 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    Mike J
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    I booked accomodation, transfers and flight through Travel Republic. I have an ATOL certificate which covers the accomodation and the flights. I fly out on Saturday and back Tuesday. I have found alternative suitable flights. It sounds a daft question but should I book these now and wait for refund or should I wait until Travel Republic get in touch with me . Understandably their phone number has been engaged all morning.
    • richardp05
    • By richardp05 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richardp05
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    Return Journey
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    I booked some return flights with Monarch airline for myself and some friends, we are flying out with easy jet on the 12th october and returning with monarch on the 15th. I've read a few things on their website and unsure if I will be affected given the following:

I booked a Monarch flight as my return journey, alongside another flight provided by another airline. Am I protected?

If you are due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, we will be arranging a new flight for you.

If you are due to travel on or after 16 October 2017, you will need to book your own flight back to the UK.

Have I misinterpreted this?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    You can find lots of useful information posted about the latest situation in the earlier official MSE thread, which unfortunately has been locked by the OP

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5720384

I won't bother reposting it all.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,764 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    You can find lots of useful information posted about the latest situation in the earlier official MSE thread, which unfortunately has been locked by the OP

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5720384

I won't bother reposting it all.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Necessary because the title was so misleading.

Thank you for providing such accurate info, and for helpfully indicating the source.

reposting here:

Monarch Airlines have fallen into administration early this morning.
    This effectively marks the collapse of the business.
    There are no outgoing Monarch flights from the UK and the advice for those already booked on such flights is to not travel to the airport.
    For those booked onto return Monarch flights to the UK, the government has asked the CAA to charter aircraft to bring you back to the UK.
    by footyguy
    Full list of affected Monarch companies in administration
    The following companies from within the Monarch Group are in administration:
    Monarch Holdings Limited
    Monarch Airlines Limited
    Monarch Travel Group Limited
    First Aviation Limited
    Avro Aviation Limited
    Avro Limited
    MH Aviation Transport Limited (formerly Cosmos Aviation Limited)
    Monarch Holidays Limited (formerly Cosmos Holidays Limited)
    somewhere2stay Limited
    Monarch 2011 Limited

[Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited and Monarch Aircraft Engineering LLC (Monarch Ukraine) are not in administration and continue to trade as normal.]

Source: https://home.kpmg.com/uk/en/home/media/press-releases/2017/10/administrators-appointed-to-monarch-airlines-and-travel-group.html
    by footyguy
    Official information available here

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/
    by footyguy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,764 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    I booked accomodation, transfers and flight through Travel Republic. I have an ATOL certificate which covers the accomodation and the flights. I fly out on Saturday and back Tuesday. I have found alternative suitable flights. It sounds a daft question but should I book these now and wait for refund or should I wait until Travel Republic get in touch with me . Understandably their phone number has been engaged all morning.
    Originally posted by Mike J
    The CAA won't be flying anyone out to their holidays. They are concerned only with bringing people home.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 2nd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,764 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    I booked some return flights with Monarch airline for myself and some friends, we are flying out with easy jet on the 12th october and returning with monarch on the 15th. I've read a few things on their website and unsure if I will be affected given the following:

I booked a Monarch flight as my return journey, alongside another flight provided by another airline. Am I protected?

If you are due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017, we will be arranging a new flight for you.

If you are due to travel on or after 16 October 2017, you will need to book your own flight back to the UK.

Have I misinterpreted this?
    Originally posted by richardp05
    Interesting one as the CAA are saying "if you are currently abroad they will bring you home, but if you haven't yet travelled they won't". I can see that an outward with one airline and return with another falls between the two, but I would want confirmation that they will bring you home (or at least a back up plan).

You don't have any avios do you? Avios bookings can be cancelled with 24 hours notice and all you lose is a £35 fee if you need to cancel.
    • denglish89
    • By denglish89 2nd Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    denglish89
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    I hope someone can help me out with this...

I am flying to Lisbon on Friday with RyanAir NOT Monarch. I then have a flight home on Monday THROUGH Monarch.

Can I still go as my flight home is within the 14 days and should still be operating?

Thanks in advance
    • woz28
    • By woz28 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    woz28
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    I wonder if anyone will be able to help. I booked Monarch flight only tickets in Feb 2017 by credit card. Flights were for July I didn't take out travel insurance (yes I know I should've) and had to cancel due to finding out I had cancer. Monarch issued me with a credit voucher for 12 months from July 2017. Would I still be covered by the credit card Section 75?
    • richardp05
    • By richardp05 2nd Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richardp05
    Yeah it's not that clear. From what I read it seems that all flights from abroad are going ahead up until the 15th Oct so technically it should be fine. But I'll seek further clarification

I don't have avios i'm afraid. It was all booked on my credit card so should have some fall back if it doesn't go to plan
    Last edited by richardp05; 02-10-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • crazycamper
    • By crazycamper 2nd Oct 17, 10:08 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    crazycamper
    Denglish 89 All Monarch flights are grounded, so you need to arrange an alternative flight home.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 2nd Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Woz28

It seems Monarch did more than they had to, you had no right to a refund so I do not see your card issuer going above and beyond any legal entitlement, so I suspect the answer is no.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 2nd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Flights booked to return on or before 15th October will operate, at or around the same time and the CAA will not know or be concerned when you travelled, so I expect return flights booked to operate before 15th should be fine. the new flight times are on the specific Monarch/CAA website but are only being updated slowly on a day to say basis, so nothing for the 15th is available yet.

Do not rebook if your planned return is 15th or sooner as the CAA advice is clear, they will arrange flights at no additional cost
    • toozie
    • By toozie 2nd Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    toozie
    Please could someone help?

We have Monach flights booked, but paid in December last year so should be covered- and they were cheap at the time.

The B&B booked in Venice for 4 nights (2 couples) is $90 per night per room. On their email it states they will take 100% of the cost if cancelled after 01/10/17!

Other flights (Jet2) are about £550 retrun per couple- which is too expensive for us.

How do we stand with the credit card payment for the accomodation, claiming it back, or going with section 75, if we have no flight......but could go at a much higher cost?

Thank you x
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 2nd Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    catwoman73
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you *Toozie*. We were due to fly with Monarch this week and I booked alternate flights at greater cost as soon as I heard the news this morning (nearly everything within 100 miles of us is now sold out).

Scheduled airline failure is covered under our travel insurance (check your policy, you might be too, although not all policies cover this). I'm going to argue that our losses are the cost of the new, more expensive flights, not the old cheaper ones when I claim and that's hopefully what we'll get back, but it's not the end of the world to us if we only get back the price of the cancelled Monarch flights (difference about £200).
    • danielson81
    • By danielson81 2nd Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    danielson81
    Hi,

I fly out in just under 2 weeks via a package with LastMinute.com

Should I wait for Lastminute to issue/action/process the ATOL refund, or just do a Section 75 on my credit card now?
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    JW1975
    there is some very confusing information here.

Real scenario - I have Jet2 out to Spain 3rd Oct and Monarch back on 11th Oct.

Mentions on this thread infers that You can leave the UK in the next few days and as long as your return flight is before the 15th Oct the CAA will get you home

UPDATED WITH FACTS - CAA will NOT get you home if you are currently still in the UK planning to fly out on any airline in the next few days.
    Last edited by JW1975; 02-10-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: updaing with facts
    • toozie
    • By toozie 2nd Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    toozie
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you *Toozie*. We were due to fly with Monarch this week and I booked alternate flights at greater cost as soon as I heard the news this morning (nearly everything within 100 miles of us is now sold out).

Scheduled airline failure is covered under our travel insurance (check your policy, you might be too, although not all policies cover this). I'm going to argue that our losses are the cost of the new, more expensive flights, not the old cheaper ones when I claim and that's hopefully what we'll get back, but it's not the end of the world to us if we only get back the price of the cancelled Monarch flights (difference about £200).
    Originally posted by catwoman73

Okay thanks for the swift reply. We could book alternative flights at the extra costs- I'll have to talk to the couple going with us. If we were to cancel is there anyway of claiming back the cost of the accommodation- I'm going to read T&C on annual ins now, if another flight is available? x
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 2nd Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Good news is plenty of pilots available for Ryanair
    • Reason123
    • By Reason123 2nd Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Reason123
    Ive booked flights to direct with Monarch but luckily used a credit card so I now need Santander to give me my money back. I called them this morning and told me to send them an email with the details and I should get a reply with 8 weeks!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin