PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Visiting tradesman -your responsibility?

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OP has already pointed out that residents have a visitor bay and instruct their visitors to park there - it appears to be school-run mums and random delivery people (who, no matter how much you tell them where to stop, will tend to stop where they feel like) who are using the lane. So all the residents can do is suggest solutions such as automated entry barriers. Or an updated CCTV system that records.

As for his behaviour, I agree that this is harrassment and I'm surprised that the police didn't take it more seriously. Ours certainly do - apparently they've been told to prioritise it as dealing with harrassment often reduces the likelihood of things escalating.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 April 2018 at 9:14PM
    Options
    Is this a Central London street mews?

Also, suggest he writes to his councillors asking them to introduce a controlled parking zone. That can then, possibly, be enforced by parking men giving out fines...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I do wish people would stop posting such childish and impetuous advice on this, and other threads, involving police response to serious matters!

rob's comments are usually funny, but that one wasn't.

It was particularly inappropriate in the light of a main news item today.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Tell the police your neighbour is at your door banging on it and you believe he may have a weapon.

And get CCTV asap as the police, courts, and some on this forum won't believe you.
    Advice like that could result in armed officers coming who could then accidentally hurt innocent bystanders. Bad advice.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, if it's parents parking for the school, then it would IMO definitely be worth those affected (and that's all of you, so any of you could do this!) getting in touch with the school and politely asking them to remind parents that there is no parking available in that lane as it is a private access road only, and there is no parking in your road, and that school drop-off parking is causing a serious nuisance to the school's neighbours.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Actually, if it's parents parking for the school, then it would IMO definitely be worth those affected (and that's all of you, so any of you could do this!) getting in touch with the school and politely asking them to remind parents that there is no parking available in that lane as it is a private access road only, and there is no parking in your road, and that school drop-off parking is causing a serious nuisance to the school's neighbours.

Obviously including numberplates of culprit cars being passed on to the school. Though that is all rather dependant on how co-operative (or otherwise) the school would be...:cool:

I don't know whether I'd hold out much hope on that front - considering the number of tales we've seen in the papers recently to the effect that some people are selfish enough to park "wherever they think they will" even if it's blocking in an ambulance on duty.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Also keep a log of everything that happens.

So every time your neighbour rings the door bell etc. If you can record all interactions with him as well.

He can have installed a electric bollard that uses remote controls. So he and the other neighbour that needs access can do so.

https://www.expertsecurityuk.co.uk/product/bollards/driveway/
    http://www.edsuk.com/automatic_rising_bollards.html

or even automatic electric gate, so no need to get out the car to open

That would solve the problem and save everyone grief.

All the best I hope you get this sorted out very soon with the least amount of hassle.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 9:06PM
    Options
    I've just got home from a veeeeey long day at work to find a card and a bunch of flowers from the entire mews of neighbours.

They have all clubbed together and as a group apparently cleaned the writing off the wall over this afternoon - it's dark and late so i've not had a good look. Its gone but that's pretty much all i can make out after sticking my head out the door to have a gander.

The guy three doors up went and had a word with lane guy (no, not that type - the tea and cake type)

Everyone has received an invitation to a friendly 'get together' all all the houses to have a chat regarding some local issues, parking and our neighbourhood watch. Tea, biscuits and soft drinks provided.

Its very nicely done and its not actually mentioning the recent ruckus but it's an open door.... So lets see what happens.

Feeling hopeful :)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.:)

Hopefully, the guy will feel he's been heard and he'll have a chance to take a step into the community again.

It'll be interesting to see if he shows up.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking forward to this beauty.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts