PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Visiting tradesman -your responsibility?

Options

Comments

• i_want_to_believe
    Options
    As for discouraging JW's/cold callers/door knockers or whoever, I have 2 effective + well-used tactics.
    Depending what kind of mood I'm in I'll either say "Sure I'd love to hear all about it, but first you must let me tell you how the loving light of Lucifer has completely changed my life". Or if I can't be bothered I just say (very poshly, no accent, rounded vowels) "Oh I am so sorry, but I don't speak a word of English", then smile sweetly and close the door.

ETA What does nfh stand for? I can't work it out...[/QUOTe

Neighbour from hell?
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much! I was thinking the 'f' stood for something far less polite... :D
    Until 1913, children in America could legally be sent by parcel post.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a bit late to this post but I've just read it all and I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Re the people parking in the lane/bollard/sign issue - could yous not paint a nice big red "no entry" circle on the ground? With the owners permission of course. That would hopefully stop the school run cars etc, but not, say, ambulances etc.

2. Re him banging on your door and ringing the bell. (This is a Plan B for if the get-together doesn't work.) Maybe a shock tactic would work? One day when you're home all day, and he's in banging+ringing like a maniac mode, answer the door in a clear state of distress. Bit of prep required like, back comb your hair, mascara all down your face, work yourself up into a proper crying + shaking mess, then answer the door with "you've got to STOP this! Look at what you're DOING to me! You're really scaring me and I don't know if I can TAKE it any more!!" Lots of sobbing and shaking and wiping of nose on palm of hand. "I'm sorry, I can't HELP where people park but you're driving me CRAZY with all this and YOU HAVE TO STOP!!" Sob sob shakey shakey.

Like that. I've done this before and it worked an absolute treat.

Then close the door on him, have a stiff drink, and lament how we've put feminism back 20 years.

So you've got a chap whose a bully, now going into harassment mode, and you think doing a silly girly woe is me routine is likely to stop him? More likely to get him to ramp it up because he can see the effect he thinks he's having.
    I can't think of any situation where a) I'd ever want to do the hysterical woman act or b) where it would make any postitive impact whatsoever.
    It's less taking feminism back 20 years and more reverting right back to the melodrama of the silent film era. Ridiculous.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is a suggestion, something that OP could do. I offer it as an idea because it worked for me in the past.
    Ideally it would not have got to this stage - ideally the police would have done something, but they didn't. Hence my (last resort) suggestion.
    Until 1913, children in America could legally be sent by parcel post.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2018 at 12:28PM
    Options
    So meeting was yesterday. Sadly my car broke down so i missed it being sat in a layby/service station miles away for hours waiting to be put on the back of a lorry and taken to the garage.

i was told it was a nice meeting, sun was out and a impromptu bbq was started so everyine was chilled and lots of stuff got sorted out......right up to the point lane dude turned up (very late) He basically threw about accusations that the mews were deliberately hounding him and parking in the lane. Everyone pointed out thats not the cse but he refused to be swayed.

Discussions regarding the entrance and posts/signage was brought up but he told everyone he shouldn't have to pay out or be inconvenienced putting up or taking down posts or cones - for everyone else being munts so refuses to put his hand in his pocket.

Someone pointed out he would be paying for peace of mind and to stop having to deal with the issue. He just said his plan is to harass everyone one on the street/council/management company till we or someone get so effed off with him they will pay to solve the issue - put down yellow lines, pay for posts, gate or open the old lane entrance and close off ours making it less appealing to be parked in. note: the council have said no to this request several times due to where the lane exits.

Then one of the guys said that type of aggressive action can be a two way street pal and said he had checked the land registry for the lane.

It was pointed out that he gained some of the land by just appropriating it when the area was in decline and he doesn't actually own all of it (there was a small set of allotments to the side but they fell into disrepair and disuse and he kind of just appropriated them by putting a fence up) it was suggested that we apply to the coouncil make it parking as we all have a easement (i think that's the right term im not sure or a right of way.... something like that) as the allotments were for the use of the mews and local houses.

apparently this caused the meeting mood to turn really ugly and as he started swearing - people who had brought their children left - so it kind of just disintegrated.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    His behaviour seems to have opened a can of worms! Could it be Karma!
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh dear. I was hoping for a happier outcome. But at least everyone else knows just what the score is.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having this tread linked back to another it reminded me to post a quick update. I've not had a peep from lane guy. Not even when cars have parked in the lane. Nada.

Sadly that maybe because the gent that did the land registry search is now in lane dudes sights....... The gent has had a sudden and unexpected fence fire, some paint thrown at his door and a dent appear on his car.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Having this tread linked back to another it reminded me to post a quick update. I've not had a peep from lane guy. Not even when cars have parked in the lane. Nada.

Sadly that maybe because the gent that did the land registry search is now in lane dudes sights....... The gent has had a sudden and unexpected fence fire, some paint thrown at his door and a dent appear on his car.

:eek: Lane dude is a right !!!!ing !!!!!!!! :mad:

I hope the gent has CCTV very soon.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow. I had been searching for this post and couldn't for the ice if me remember the title.

Hope gent has police involved. Must be horrible !!!55357;!!!56852;
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family