Welsh water are trying to charge me for a house I don’t live in

Options
Hi

I need you help I received a letter from welsh water regarding my old house. They are saying that I owe the £800 as they didn’t know I had moved they want a years worth of water payments. I notified them I was moving a month before I did, which was 6 months ago, and they are now trying to say they never received the call. Can they really charge me for a years advance water usage when I’m not even living there? :mad:

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have any evidence of this call and who you spoke to ??
    What have they said when you contacted them a about this problem ??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Who now owns the house?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are moving out of Wales (where Dwr Cymru no longer provide your water) the account should be closed.

If you have stayed within Wales they will still be your providers.

Is it definitely a bill for the old property and not for your new property?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Stressedout70
    Options
    Thank you for your replies guys. It was a rented property so It is now back with the estate agent, they say they have no evidence of the call I made (how very convenient) and that I still need to pay the bill. It’s definitely for my old house and not my current one. I have left the phone service provider that I used at that time, I have contacted them to see if they can send me evidence of the call but they have said that as the account is closed they can no longer help me.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you supply evidence of the date you moved out, such as rental contract or letter from agent or landlord confirming moveout, and/or evidence of the start of your new occupation at the current address?

EDIT - did they send the demand to your old address or your current one?
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Thank you for your replies guys. It was a rented property so It is now back with the estate agent, they say they have no evidence of the call I made (how very convenient) and that I still need to pay the bill. It’s definitely for my old house and not my current one. I have left the phone service provider that I used at that time, I have contacted them to see if they can send me evidence of the call but they have said that as the account is closed they can no longer help me.

Send them a SAR - subject access request asking for all info they have on your account including details of call itemisation.

You could also call up the water company and ask them to read to you the logs of your account (when someone accesses your account there should be a log)
    If there is a logged access around the time you moved then you can prove their mistake

On a side issue- i have an Android phone with call recording that records calls for instances such as this

Had an issue with Vodafone around 10 years ago and they 'could not find' a particular call.
    When I offered to send them my call recording they backed down immediately.
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport